FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Any Electricians In The Crowd?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

Got a new stove coming tomorrow, so I thought I'd take out the old one and unplug it....WRONG. I found that the danged thing is wired directly, which I don;t think is done any more here (I'm a Brit...been here 7 years...seen a few, and they all plug in). It's common to wire them directly in the UK, and I used to do general construction back then.

So, I opened up rear of stove, and saw this.....

[Image: 100_1137.jpg]

Using a Circuit alert tester, I determined that the red and black were live, while the white (neutral I believe) carried nothing, and of course then there was the earth.

So I shot out and purchased a receptacle to connect up with.....

[Image: 100_1141.jpg]

So, on this, it has Green (earth) at the top, white at the bottom, and X and Y on left and right.

So, do the black and red go in X and Y? I would assume so, as it needs 240V to run a stove...but just want to throw it out there for checking.

Thanks to anyone who knows....

Scorp.
The only way I know how to figure this out is to touch the wires to your tonge to find the live one and go from there. Just kidding, don't do that. Ask your wife to check for you. :lol:

I dunno man, I always saw the plug behind the stove. How old is your house?
Focus man, Focus.,Mar 9 2007, 11:15 PM Wrote:The only way I know how to figure this out is to touch the wires to your tonge to find the live one and go from there.  Just kidding, don't do that.  Ask your wife to check for you.  :lol:

I dunno man,  I always saw the plug behind the stove.  How old is your house?
[right][snapback]229595[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lol:

Danged if I know how old this place is...50's Id guess, from the lathe and plaster walls....

It's an apartment we rent in a triplex...I think the stove has been here for at least 15 years...lol.

Anywho, no worries, I found a good write-up on the net (should have looked first :rolleyes: ), so I'm pretty confidant that I'm not gonna kill our new $800.00 stove!

:lol: :lol:
i'm no electrician, but know enough that your going to have to have 220V breaker added to your panel, it could be possible that its on a fused system which now would be as good as any to upgrade to a breaker system. if it is a fuse system your not going to able to run your new stove on it. as well hope you don't have aluminum wiring in your house, its a possibility.

your $800 stove just may have cost you a lot more.
there's nothing wrong with aluminum wiring, just don't ever mix it with copper. that's all.
you shouldn't have any issue with the new stove, looks like you already have 240V. As long as your neutral and gnd are correct the red/black are somewhat interchangeble.
dbl post
FocusGuy7476,Mar 9 2007, 11:47 PM Wrote:i'm no electrician, but know enough that your going to have to have 220V breaker added to your panel, it could be possible that its on a fused system which now would be as good as any to upgrade to a breaker system. if it is a fuse system your not going to able to run your new stove on it. as well hope you don't have aluminum wiring in your house, its a possibility.

your $800 stove just may have cost you a lot more.
[right][snapback]229601[/snapback][/right]

Ya, no worries there, it's already on a breaker (2, for 240V), and it's copper wiring. I already removed the wiring from the old stove. Gonna hack out wall and wire up tomorrow.

j3rt,Mar 10 2007, 12:15 AM Wrote:there's nothing wrong with aluminum wiring, just don't ever mix it with copper.  that's all.
you shouldn't have any issue with the new stove, looks like you already have 240V.  As long as your neutral and gnd are correct the red/black are somewhat interchangeble.
[right][snapback]229603[/snapback][/right]

Ya, it's def 240V, no doubt about it. And thanks for the confirmation. I just wish I'd known before....woulda saved me a lot of messing around the night before delivery :lol: :lol:
A lot of times they'll hard-wire stoves in, especially in apartments. I guess it would deter people from trying to steal the stove when they move out..
Send a PM to OAC Sparky. I think its obvious he is an electrician.
Ask me in a year lol. 240V, 50Htz :o
Scorpion,Mar 9 2007, 09:25 PM Wrote:So, on this, it has Green (earth) at the top, white at the bottom, and X and Y on left and right.

So, do the black and red go in X and Y? I would assume so, as it needs 240V to run a stove...but just want to throw it out there for checking.[right][snapback]229593[/snapback][/right]
Yes, you have it correct. Looking at the plug side, the round/d-shaped hole is the ground, the common/neutral is the blade opposite. The line wires go on the other two blades.

Proper wiring practice is to make sure that the receptacle is:
a ) Above the finished floor at a height not exceeding 130 mm to the centre of the receptacle; and
b ) As near midpoint as is practicable, measured along the floor line of the wall space intended for the electric range; and
c ) With the U-ground slot orientated to either side
d ) and there is a ground connection between the device box, ground wire and the plug.
Thanks Sparky, I'll note those points, none of which I knew, when I put it in the wall. ATM, it it hanging from a screw in the wall until I get a decent set of drill bits to enable me to cut through the tile 'sorta' nicely. I know I son;t really give a damn about this place, but the receptacle will stay there when we move in a couple of years, so I want it to look ok.

Cheers all,

Scorp

my parents first house the stove was hardwired directly into the house's electrical system. When we first moved, we took the stove with us, and bought one of those stove wires from the electronics store and hard wired it into the back electrical block, now we could plug the stove into the range outlet in the new house. Back in our old house, we had to install a stove outlet where the wire sticked out of the wall, we called an electrician to do such, but if i look back at it now, its a piece of cake.