FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: This Just Vetoed France As A Vacation Destination
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/03/08...e.ap/index.html

So basically, you're not allowed to record random violence. Footage that could otherwise convict a criminal will now land YOU in jail, potentially for up to 5 years.

Quick, check for Christmas Cards from Poppa Putin. :rolleyes:
Wow, I do free lance journalisum and some times need a press pass that's cool... but now if I goto france do I need one for the entire country?
meh, wasnt going there anytime soon anyways.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 8 2007, 10:06 AM Wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/03/08...e.ap/index.html

So basically, you're not allowed to record random violence. Footage that could otherwise convict a criminal will now land YOU in jail, potentially for up to 5 years.

Quick, check for Christmas Cards from Poppa Putin. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]229335[/snapback][/right]

Not at all ... your use of the word "random" is opposite to what I read in the article.

According to the article there are two associated things that have to be in place for you to be subject to being punished ... you have to "knowingly" film it - which means with knowledge of forethought - in other words you knew in advance it the violence was going to happen and you planned in advance to film it. And the other element is the posting to the web.

If you accidentally caught something on tape that you didn't know in advance was going to happen (ie: Rodney King beating) and you gave that tape to the police to help catch a criminal, I can't see how you would be jailed based on the description of the law that I read.

BTW - I'm not defending the law, but just trying to add a little perspective that CNN missed.

But if it was a street brawl, you caught it as you wandered by and then uploaded a copy for whatever reason... the onus is on you to prove you didn't plan to be there beforehand.

That's a little "guilty until proven innoncent" in my eyes.
yeah but France has weird laws and Bi-laws different from here by far, like a morgage includes a fitness check up as well as a health check, but things like smoking are not factored into poor health.