FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Govmt Announces Transit & Highway Investment In On
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Federal government announces public transit and highway investment in Greater Toronto Area
07-03-2007

Toronto, Ontario - Prime Minister Stephen Harper has announced up to $962 million in partnership with the Province of Ontario and five municipalities to generate a combined investment of almost $4.5 billion in public transit and highway infrastructure projects in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).

The announcement is part of FLOW, the federal government's new long-term transportation action plan for the GTA. The plan is designed to reduce gridlock, improve the environment and increase economic growth in the area.

The transit projects to be funded include an extension of the northern section of the Spadina subway line to Vaughan Corporate Centre; the development of Brampton AcceleRide; construction of a Mississauga bus rapid transit corridor; enhancement of the York VIVA rapid transit system; and funding to develop regional rapid transit in the Regional Municipality of Durham.

As part of the announcement, the Province of Ontario has agreed to invest in three key highway projects involving Highways 407, 404 and 7, including extending Highway 407 eastward by 67 km from Brock Road in Pickering to Highway 35/115 in Clarington, with two north-south connections to Highway 401. The projects are expected to be completed by 2013.
Without addressing the 401 thats just going to be more of a bottleneck channeling more cars quicker to it....
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the last provincial government sell off 407 to a Euro consortium on a 99 year lease? :huh:

So this means in effect that the feds will be paying money to extend a highway which is not owned by the provincial Crown and the profits from the tolls from this new section are going to the Euro consortium?

.... your tax dollars at work :rolleyes:

BTW: Doing something about the 401... thanks to the brilliant City of Toronto planners allowing building to practically abut the 401, there's nothing they can do about it, short of making the lanes narrower and hell, I don't want that! We have enough stupid drivers out there with the lane widths we have :ph34r:

NefCanuck
The Harris Provincial government should not have cancelled all the subway lines that were under construction at the time. Right now at least on Eglinton Av all I see are TTC buses full of people that should be on that subway line but are up on those buses causing congestion, just imagine if all lanes on Eglinton were able to move instead we have diamond lanes because the buses have to move around. All this bostering by Harper is just an pre-election ploy to grab more votes when his government crumbles.

Laterz :)
well thanks for puting money on your own back yard,, what about the rest of us.. here in windsor we have the most important trade route in north america that is constintly congested... I regress though the GTA is most of ontarios population soo it makes sence that they see more money... but still it sux for those of us who live in the industral zone that is windsor/essex county,,,