FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Manual Tranny Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well here's the deal guys, even before it got cold out i started to notice that tranny was getting stiff when trying to shift into and out of gears. For instance, sometimes its very hard to get the shifter out of gear.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and what they did to fix it. I'm contemplating flushing and replacing the tranny fluid, but before i go thru that i just wanna make sure i'm not wasting money. Also i'm hoping this isn't a huge problem like my tranny going, not really interested in spending the money to fix it.

Any advice you guys might have would be great.

Thanks.
habmann,Mar 5 2007, 09:14 PM Wrote:Well here's the deal guys, even before it got cold out i started to notice that tranny was getting stiff when trying to shift into and out of gears. For instance, sometimes its very hard to get the shifter out of gear.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and what they did to fix it. I'm contemplating flushing and replacing the tranny fluid, but before i go thru that i just wanna make sure i'm not wasting money. Also i'm hoping this isn't a huge problem like my tranny going, not really interested in spending the money to fix it.

Any advice you guys might have would be great.

Thanks.
[right][snapback]229033[/snapback][/right]

Mine is the same but its not so bad in the warm. Dunno.
How many K on your car depends on wether you should flush or not.
Might consider a drain and refill rather then a flush.
Put some lucas transmission fluid in with it to :)
I'm at 131,000 in change.

And mines like yours not as bad in the warm, but still i think i need to do something about it.
ahh yes this is typical the fluid is warn down.. also the shifter cables where and sttretch a litlle making it a little bit harder when the fluid is cold sludge...

Quick fixes:

do an adjustment on your cable linkages,, the white one is usally the culprate...

let the car warm up and drive it in third gear down your street instead of going to fourth this will keep the RPM's up in the tranny and warm things up

Also do a quick spot check on the tranny to see if there is anything in the way of the linkage that expands when warm and frees things up.. I used to have an AEM CAI and it got in the way of the linkage on the tranny

If you flush:

use GM syncro mesh... it works well in almost any manual is thiner and won't gum up as much when cold...

Cheers

AL
OH and if you do mess with the linkage adjustments DON'T let the little retainer spring pop out! It's an absolute basterd to get back in without taking the whol damn thing apart.. LOL
Ya like I figured, just gonna do a drain and fill.