FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Flat Towing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can it be done?
Flatbed....lol
No.

From your manual:

Quote:RECREATIONAL TOWING
Follow these guidelines for your specific powertrain combination to tow
your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground (such as behind a
recreational vehicle).
These guidelines are designed to ensure that your transmission is not
damaged due to insufficient lubrication.
All Front Wheel Drive (FWD) vehicles:
If your vehicle is equipped with an automatic transaxle, you cannot tow
the vehicle with the front drive wheels on the ground. It is recommended
to tow your vehicle with the drive wheels on a dolly or two wheel car
hauling trailer.
In case of a roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle (without access
to wheel dollies, car hauling trailer or flatbed transport vehicle) your
vehicle can be flat towed (all wheels on the ground) under the following
conditions:
• Place the transmission in N (Neutral).
• Maximum speed is 35 mph (56 km/h).
• Maximum distance is 50 miles (80 km).
If your vehicle is equipped with a manual transaxle, and in the case of a
roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle (without access to wheel
dollies, car hauling trailer or flatbed transport vehicle) your vehicle can
be flat towed (all wheels on the ground) under the following conditions:
• Maximum distance is unlimited.
If your vehicle is equipped with a manual transaxle, and in the case of a

isn't that more of a Yes, it can be flat towed?
Mystake,Apr 16 2010, 08:26 AM Wrote:If your vehicle is equipped with a manual transaxle, and in the case of a

isn't that more of a Yes, it can be flat towed?
[right][snapback]305303[/snapback][/right]
It does say "in the case of a disabled vehicle": it doesn't mention a speed limitation and there again a high-speed sustained run might cause a lubrication issue. I would check with a dealer.
Mystake,Apr 16 2010, 08:26 AM Wrote:isn't that more of a Yes, it can be flat towed?
he was probably referring to the automatic tranny not the standard.

stick of course you can flat-tow - however with an automatic you can't because the pump isn't spinning to keep the oil where it should be.
Spinal,Apr 16 2010, 09:06 AM Wrote:
Mystake,Apr 16 2010, 08:26 AM Wrote:isn't that more of a Yes, it can be flat towed?
he was probably referring to the automatic tranny not the standard.

stick of course you can flat-tow - however with an automatic you can't because the pump isn't spinning to keep the oil where it should be.
[right][snapback]305306[/snapback][/right]
Ohhh ok.

Yeah, I've got a manny tranny. At least, I had one. Reason I'm asking is because the Focus might be dead and I may need to move it around.
On my trip back from MTL last weekend I noticed alot of RV's pulling vehicles and a few SUV's that im pretty sure don't come auto. Isn't there away to remove a half shaft or something but still have the wheels in rolling order?
ZX3_2NV,Apr 16 2010, 01:29 PM Wrote:On my trip back from MTL last weekend I noticed alot of RV's pulling vehicles and a few SUV's that im pretty sure don't come auto. Isn't there away to remove a half shaft or something but still have the wheels in rolling order?
[right][snapback]305317[/snapback][/right]

yeah, for SUV's you can just pull the drive shafts.
yaa but what if its fwd
ZX3_2NV,Apr 16 2010, 01:42 PM Wrote:yaa but what if its fwd
[right][snapback]305319[/snapback][/right]

... you still pull the driveshaft? Is there not one on FWD suv's? Do FWD Suv's exist? Who would buy a fwd suv and then flat tow it :P

either way, it's go time for me now since the engine is blown.
Yes there is FWD SUV I saw a Ford Edge being flat towed either way its either FWD or AWD so that werided me out.
ZX3_2NV,Apr 19 2010, 11:22 AM Wrote:Yes there is FWD SUV I saw a Ford Edge being flat towed either way its either FWD or AWD so that werided me out.
[right][snapback]305420[/snapback][/right]

edge's are AWD.
They also come FWD trust me I know I did alot of resarch on them and ended up buying its cuz in Lincoln form.
ZX3_2NV,Apr 19 2010, 11:29 AM Wrote:They also come FWD trust me I know I did alot of resarch on them and ended up buying its cuz in Lincoln form.
[right][snapback]305423[/snapback][/right]

wow

then whoever thought of that needs to be slapped. FWD screams minivan when it's an SUV.
BACK ON TOPIC

how would I go about flat towing the focus? Do I have to have the front end modified with hooks? Is there a flat tow bar I can just buy and it bolts right up?

It's either this or about 250$ in rental equipment + gas. (Could freaking do it for the cost of gas if my parents were helping me too but we got into an argument and I'm not willing to call them and ask for help.)
Go to u haul rent a dolly for 50 bucks and be on ur way. How were you planning to flat tow it anyways, You would need to buy or rent a tow bar and mount it to your vehicle.

[Image: IMG_3851.JPG]
ZX3_2NV,Apr 20 2010, 07:42 AM Wrote:Go to u haul rent a dolly for 50 bucks and be on ur way. How were you planning to flat tow it anyways, You would need to buy or rent a tow bar and mount it to your vehicle.

[Image: IMG_3851.JPG]
[right][snapback]305497[/snapback][/right]
I don't have a car to tow with.

Local jeepers are bailing me out though. I've got a tow bar for my YJ for 60$ and another guy who's bringing his TJ and possibly a tow dolly from his friend will for the cost of gas, help me move the focus from whitby to richmondhill.

they're bailing me out hardcore.

also when it comes time to move my Jeep, the offer was there to come move it for me.
I must say Jeepers are very nice guys I met alot of them when I had my wrangler always willing to help out one another and the waving gotta love the waving lol
ZX3_2NV,Apr 21 2010, 11:34 AM Wrote:I must say Jeepers are very nice guys I met alot of them when I had my wrangler always willing to help out one another and the waving gotta love the waving lol
[right][snapback]305557[/snapback][/right]

The Jeep Wave is awesome :lol:

when I've got mine back on the road, I'll be waving my arm off :P
Pages: 1 2