FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Starting Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So after work about 6:30 I went to start my car and the was battery is dead. Now either its the battery itself, charging system or there something in the car drawing out power when its sitting. It may be the after market alarm system that came with the car but I am not sure where it is installed on the car to test my theory. Because when I jumped it let run for a while, got it home and turned off, then tried starting it again it started quickly so anybody got any ideas?
Yeah, the cells in your battery are shot. They end up having just enough charge in them to let you make it home, and then start again right away when you shut it off. If you come back to it a few hours later and whatnot, and it won't do anything, then it's shot. You should also notice that your lights will flicker and the fan for your HVAC will run slower until you put up the RPM's via the accelerator. This will be an indication that your alternator is trying to run everything on the car AND charge a battery that keeps discharging or won't hold a charge.

I had a similar problem with my car when my original battery wore out. If I drove from my house to the CT down in Pembroke, it would build enough charge on the drive on the highway to pass load tests and whatnot every time. So, I had the car at a stereo shop getting something done to it (checking why the headlights were flickering at idle with the capacitor ON on the stereo), and it almost didn't start after we were done. I got a new higher ouput battery (up to 800 amps from the factory 500 that was in it), problems solved.

If your car is an 02 or older, you may as well replace the battery, and then you can start a process of elimination that way. But I'm certain the battery is your problem.

L8tz
Oh yeah, just noticed the DRL mod in your sig....check all of your connnections and stuff for that first. You might have an open circuit or a ground, which is dicharging the battery too...
Thanks for the input its prolly the battery I can give it a try I just hope im not throwing my money away on something that I don't need to right? Its an 03 and im not sure if thats the factory battery or not. Anyway Ill give it a try and ill guess we'll see.
It won't be throwing money away, as you said the security system was aftermarket, and whatnot. Think of it as starting at "Ground Zero" or day 1 with your electrical system. If you end up with other problems later, at least you've got one less possibility with a new battery. Besides, if you have an aftermarket stereo, or plan to put one in, then a more powerfull or deep cycle battery is a good upgrade in preparation for that anyways.

L8tz
Well I got the battery tested and its funked, so I got a new one in there and I'll guess we'll see from there.
If you want to unhook the alarm, unscrew the 4 bolts on the panel under the steering column (also where the fuse box is mounted) and pull it off. You'll see a little box with a couple of fuses coming out of it. Pull the fuse out and test the alarm. If it still works, pull the other fuse instead.

Bingo, now power to the alarm but it shouldn't affect anything else.

If you can't find the source, try that new thing Canadian Tire offers, the battery protector. It cuts off draw to the battery after a few minutes in case.

Cheers.

Steve.
Hey thanks ill try that!
Alien-Tek,Mar 3 2007, 05: Wrote:If you want to unhook the alarm, unscrew the 4 bolts on the panel under the steering column (also where the fuse box is mounted) and pull it off. You'll see a little box with a couple of fuses coming out of it. Pull the fuse out and test the alarm. If it still works, pull the other fuse instead.

Bingo, now power to the alarm but it shouldn't affect anything else.

If you can't find the source, try that new thing Canadian Tire offers, the battery protector. It cuts off draw to the battery after a few minutes in case.

Cheers.

Steve.
[right][snapback]228833[/snapback][/right]

I noticed you have the projector head lights (I think thats what they are called) How are they say for water like rain or something. My cuz has a set of carbon fiber ones and I was thinking of picking them up.

[right][snapback]228833[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I noticed you have the projector head lights (I think thats what they are called) How are they say for water like rain or something. My cuz has a set of carbon fiber ones and I was thinking of picking them up.
[right][snapback]228867[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've had no problems with them. No fogging or water or anything and I drive in all kinds of weather with no issues.

Ummm, are the ones you're thinking of Hella's? If not, I cant vouch for those. These are Hella's and they're good.

Steve.