FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't have a problem with the preformance of the brakes but it's just starting to bug me now. I thought it would have gone away by now
ever since i bought this car the rear breaks have been squealing, now i know the brakes were new when i got the car, because the day i test drove it they showed me the car while it was in the shop waitin on the pads to come in.

i had the same problem on my 2000 too, i put brand new brakes and it still squealed

im told this is normal, but when im at a stop light and another focus pulls up i don't hear the squeal comming from their car

anyone have an idea that could help me out?
my rear brakes squeel too, im getting mine changed soon
maybe adjustment needed or lube between springs ? Higher Quality shoes?
On FocusHacks or myfordfocus there is a section about rear brake squeal. Mine are squealing too, I've read it's usually just dirt. Tomorrow, when the roads are wet, try to hear if they still squeal. I'm going to have to change mine when it's warmer.
yeah i think your right when it's wet out i don;t think i hear it...going to have to listen tomorrow and find out
yup you were right OLDEGUY, when it's wet out there is no squeal. any idea how to fix this?
Mine is doing the same the first 2 , 3 times I use the brakes when the car has been sitting for a while but nothing after , it's doing it only on my 00 ZX3 but not on the 03 both have 90%+ life left in the shoes & drums.
your tecs are cheap and don't use a product called anti squeel on the brakes,, it's a treatment for new brakes b/c new brakes squeel! and no one who buys new shoes or pads wants to hear that!

the rear drums on a focus are self adjusting so they might need to be adjusted!!!

to adjust the rear brakes :

go in revers for 18 feet or more and hit the brakes do this a couple times..

and you can get anti squeel from CT I beleve take the drums off and give em a brake cleaner shower.. watch all the sludge pour away and kill the enviroment! and then aply the anti squeel as directed...

cheers

AL
ok thanks i will try that when it gets a bit warmer out when i spend some time outside
ya we have this awsome place called ROTAN do it your self garage here in windsor, 3 lifts 12 bays, down draft paint booth,, media blasting room (not cabnet) big enough for a truck and ALL the tools! it's heated shelterd and $15/hr on a lift 10/hr in a bay all with complete tools,,, they also rent welders and sell parts!.. there's even A DYNO inside and he's an SCT dealer/programer!!! it's pimp!

that would be pretty cool..i don;t think we have one here in mississauga..so i got to wait on the weather and one of my friends...just to make sure it all goes back together proper
Who is stupid hick told you its normal for your breaks to make noice.
Breaks should be silent 90% of the time and the other 10% means you need service.

U got the original Drums still?
Mason,Mar 8 2007, 01:56 PM Wrote:Who is stupid hick told you its normal for your breaks to make noice.
Breaks should be silent 90% of the time and the other 10% means you need service.

[right][snapback]229355[/snapback][/right]

lol, he is right, most new brakes make noise because of the materials used in em. You can solve that with some anti squeal like he said. Its a blue 'gunk'...they sell it at crappy tire, parts sourse, etc.

I did the barkes on my accord twice last year because the 1st time I did em, I picked up all the parts but forgot the anti squeal. I already had the old stuff off so I had no choice to finish the job and fawk were they ever noisy. The next day I was able to get some anti squeal and finish the job properly, no more noise :)

So that stupid hick is right. ;)

and if the tech followed the instructions, it probably says to use anti squeal...lol
Mason,Mar 8 2007, 12:56 PM Wrote:Who is stupid hick told you its normal for your breaks to make noice.

[right][snapback]229355[/snapback][/right]

the hick would be a guy who works for the Drivers licence office when i was doing my G2 with my last focus, i went a week after gettin the breaks done.
and yes it still is original drums
Actually sence he is still having the problem the stupid hick was wrong. new breaks shouldnt make noice for more then a few weeks depending on driving patterns.
If you breaks keep making noice well in to there life then you have cheap parts.
Granted anti squeel is often required back there no matter what you do.

But it is far from normal or accecptable for your breaks to make any noice past the first few weeks.

Did they turn the drums?