FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Edge Crossovers Slow To Arrive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ford Edge Crossovers Slow to Arrive
The Daily Auto Insider
Friday, February 23, 2007

Last-minute quality issues, supplier concerns, and inclement weather have delayed Ford Edge shipments to dealers, The Detroit News reported.

The launch of Ford's two new crossovers, the Edge and Lincoln MKX, is seen as very important to the company's revival in the marketplace. The Edge's original rollout was supposed to begin last November but problems prompted Ford to delay that until late December, the News said.

Nevertheless, according to Ford, about 10 percent of Ford dealers still have not received their first Edges, though the company says all of them will receive their initial allotment by the end of this month. Smaller Lincoln dealers will have to wait longer for their MKXs because Ford has decided to build up inventories at high-volume dealers in major metropolitan areas first.

Among the problems affecting the Edge's launch:

A "minor quality issue" with the ball bearings in the rear axle that prompted a last-minute redesign, which delayed delivery to some customers who had pre-ordered their vehicles.

Ice storms in Texas and other parts of the southwest in January delayed shipments to some states.

Ford discovered that most buyers wanted premium 18-inch rims instead of the 17-inch wheels that ship on the entry-level model, further delaying the launch because of a shortage of the more desirable wheels.

Edge shipments are also being slowed by a rail strike in Canada.

"It's never easy to launch anything in the middle of winter, but we've been working real hard to get units out with the right quality," Ford spokesman Jim Cain told the News.
Stockfish has had a rotating stock of 3-4, maybe 6 tops that always seem to get bought up... more replacements always seem to arrive quickly.
Can you believe there are rumours abound that we are getting laid off?

All true. They are not pleased with Jan. sales figures after the late launch, engineering changes and supplier fawk ups.

The rim issue is a downright lie. We did have a rim issue, but it was caused by Ford as they did not inform their supplier that the Freestar was not going back into production for jan./Feb.. The supplier was producing rims for the Freestar and declining the production for the Edge anticipating the change.
Fun car my friend got one... really comfortsble and ergonomice... pretty peppy too with the AWD...
Well regardless of the slow shipments... I've seen literally hundreds being shipped just around the Hamilton/Burlington area on many trucks! I'll take one pearl white Edge, and one black MKX... :D I wish.
euro_zx5,Feb 25 2007, 03:02 PM Wrote:Well regardless of the slow shipments... I've seen literally hundreds being shipped just around the Hamilton/Burlington area on many trucks! I'll take one pearl white Edge, and one black MKX... :D I wish.
[right][snapback]228066[/snapback][/right]

Considering that virtually all Edge (Edges?) being sent to the US go by rail, you'd think the rail strike in Canada would get more than a one-line mention in the second to last paragraph.
I like the edge.. more so than the lincoln MKX (mostly aesthetic thing tho)..

but I couldn't find one at the autoshow (nor the 2008 focus, so I could be blind)..
darkpuppet,Feb 25 2007, 02:26 PM Wrote:I like the edge.. more so than the lincoln MKX (mostly aesthetic thing tho)..

but I couldn't find one at the autoshow (nor the 2008 focus, so I could be blind)..
[right][snapback]228070[/snapback][/right]

They actually had a few Edges on display. One was pimped out purple. I sat in one.

They also had the 2008 Focus on a platform behind a rope. The Focus looked even more bland in person than in pictures.
I don't understand all of this bru-ha-ha about crossover vehicles in general. They really DO NOT get my juices flowing...maybe I'll have to go and look at one when they become available. To me, I'd still rather have a straight up truck, and a car as my 2nd vehicle.

In terms of the rims, I'm sure that won't be the only complaint/problem...Ford still has a perpensity for beancounting and "holding-back" with options and features, etc. The Asian makers GIVE the customers what they ask for, not tell them they can't have this or that because they didn't want a certain "package". I hate how you can't just build and price vehicles exactly as you want them anymore. It's all about packages and combo's...

Good info though...
meford4u,Feb 25 2007, 02:19 PM Wrote:Can you believe there are rumours abound that we are getting laid off?

All true.  They are not pleased with Jan. sales figures after the late launch, engineering changes and supplier fawk ups.

The rim issue is a downright lie.  We did have a rim issue, but it was caused by Ford as they did not inform their supplier that the Freestar was not going back into production for jan./Feb..  The supplier was producing rims for the Freestar and declining the production for the Edge anticipating the change.
[right][snapback]228061[/snapback][/right]

IMO... There's no way they are going to layoff the 3rd shift in body/paint/final. Especially since they are canvasing for people to go to Detroit for "Fairlane" training. Not to mention the fact that we will be running "Fairlane" pre-production models in August with production set to begin in September. The numbers at that time won't allow for a 3rd shift being off.

As for the rim issue, our production wasn't affected at all. We are no longer dealing with supplier issues. Most of our downtime now is due to mechanical failures. Front window glass being the primary cause.

Most Ford dealers out in my area have a stock of 3-5 units on the lots so the vehicles are getting out to the dealers at a good rate now...finally.
Ya i think all the ford dealers i've seen in hamilton have Edges on the lot now. And anytime i'm on the highway i see atleast 2 or 3 trucks with edges and mkx's.
that CN strike is killing everyone.
euro_zx5,Feb 25 2007, 02:02 PM Wrote:Well regardless of the slow shipments... I've seen literally hundreds being shipped just around the Hamilton/Burlington area on many trucks! I'll take one pearl white Edge, and one black MKX... :D I wish.
[right][snapback]228066[/snapback][/right]
We don't make a "pearl" white. It's called white chocolate. And we are the first automaker to use a two stage air dry and bake finish on the same line. the first step is a metallic white that is air dryed to be 65% dry within 45 seconds. The second step is the pearl finish that is baked.

And the purple is a stock colour. I would get a purple myself. It almost looks black in sunlight.
The purple edge is sweet looking. Normally i would think a purple car for a guy is gay, but there are a few exceptions, the prowler being one and the edge being another. If i was to get an edge it would either be in the purple or the orange.
I wonder how many of these Edges on order are the deluxe singing & dancing versions? :blink:

I just priced out an SE AWD with the only options being the Vista roof & the DVD & nav system and it hit $40K!

NefCanuck
I thought CN got legislated back to work by our lovely government?
euro_zx5,Feb 25 2007, 02:02 PM Wrote:I'll take one pearl white Edge
Ah, but only the MKX is available in White Chocolate. If I were to purchase one it would be the MKX anyway. The interior materials are much better than the Edge.

My coworker has a 2007 F150 loaded with the chrome package in the White Chocolate, looks really good.

But I still don't see my Marauder leaving me anytime soon. :blink:
I like the Edge... They have this one at my dealer. The interior is very nice. IMO anyway. To bad at the moment its to rich for my blood.

(um cant post images other then gifs!! doh)

edge1
edge2
price
scotiacustom,Feb 28 2007, 10:08 AM Wrote:price
[right][snapback]228457[/snapback][/right]

:o WOW 40g's

It's a nice looking vehicle and I've seen a couple now up close and the Ford designers did a great job in styling it but 40g's seems a bit much.

Laterz :)
its not that good looking, and for the price I'd rather have the Mazda CX-7 than the Edge.
Pages: 1 2