FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Mbrp Cat-back Installed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Unless something changes on their end or I can't get Friday off (won't know till Monday)... the new exhaust goes on next Friday.

I'm thinking of waiting to do the intake until about May or so. I have no inclination to be crawling around under the car in this weather we're having of late. :angry:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 23 2007, 11:46 AM Wrote:Unless something changes on their end or I can't get Friday off (won't know till Monday)... the new exhaust goes on next Friday.

I'm thinking of waiting to do the intake until about May or so. I have no inclination to be crawling around under the car in this weather we're having of late. :angry:
[right][snapback]227894[/snapback][/right]

Good news Adam ... are you having MBRP do it ... and are you letting them remove the 2nd cat or are you modifying the exhaust to keep it?
NOS,

Whatever you do, do not let them take off your second cat. If Drive Scam ever gets extended into the north country or you ever decide to sell/trade the Focus down the road you will be hosed as the car will not be saleable minus cat #2.

Make sure that they understand this and that you have an '07, )because apparently there are subtle differences in the exhaus)t before they start hacking awy at your car, else you'll have a nice long wait for your car like I did :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
MBRP Rules...

Wish they made exhaust for the S197's...
Hmm dunno boys.

Ken - MBRP is indeed doing the install. I don't have a garage for the -20C and below weather of late. That and I lack the required patience. :D

Daniel - I was going to let them, but I'll take the weekend to consider it. I need to confirm on Tuesday with them anyways. Good point.

I've got it all quoted and ready to rock at any rate.

Ian - want me to inquire for you? I have a buddy with a 2006 Subbie STi who's taking the day off to come down with me just so he can approach them about a custom downpipe for his ride. Pics to follow of our shenanigans if he comes. :P

CHECK THE MAIN PAGE! That's a S197 right? New Mustang? As far as I can tell, they do!
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 23 2007, 05:36 PM Wrote:Hmm dunno boys.

Ken - MBRP is indeed doing the install. I don't have a garage for the -20C and below weather of late. That and I lack the required patience. :D

Daniel - I was going to let them, but I'll take the weekend to consider it. I need to confirm on Tuesday with them anyways. Good point.
[right][snapback]227921[/snapback][/right]
MBRP is a couple of minutes from my cottage ... so when I picked up the exhaust for the new wagon I spent the day up there talking to them ...

Bottom line is this:

1) For '07 the MBRP exhaust as-is requires removal of the 2nd cat for it to be a bolt-in install ...

2) they wouldn't / couldn't give me an exact quote to modify and install the exhaust to work with the 2nd cat, but would only say it could be as much as 6 hours @ $75 per ... considering that all-in I paid less than 280 for the exhaust, a $450 charge for installation seemed a bit much.

The box is still in my garage so I hope your experience is better than mine - I would still prefer them to do the install but at a reasonable price.
They mentioned that they'd be able to mod it on-site so I'm prepped properly before I leave with it on. I guess they're bending a little more as I'm a returning customer??? :unsure:

I'll talk with them early next week and keep you guys informed. As the second cat is a secondary cat (and the primary element is right up on the manifold apparently), losing the second cat may not be the end of the world. Hell, the second cat doesn't have a sensor even from what I'm told.
i love mine - on my wagon - i wouldnt of put any thing else on!!!!
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 23 2007, 08:13 PM Wrote:They mentioned that they'd be able to mod it on-site so I'm prepped properly before I leave with it on. I guess they're bending a little more as I'm a returning customer??? :unsure:

I'll talk with them early next week and keep you guys informed. As the second cat is a secondary cat (and the primary element is right up on the manifold apparently), losing the second cat may not be the end of the world. Hell, the second cat doesn't have a sensor even from what I'm told.
[right][snapback]227936[/snapback][/right]

Only trick is whether or not the tech inspecting it for Scam Clean would have the knowledge that the Focus in your MY has that 2nd cat. The car has to pass the visual inspection even before they'll put it up on the rollers for the test. :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Feb 24 2007, 12:34 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 23 2007, 08:13 PM Wrote:They mentioned that they'd be able to mod it on-site so I'm prepped properly before I leave with it on. I guess they're bending a little more as I'm a returning customer??? :unsure:

[right][snapback]227936[/snapback][/right]

Only trick is whether or not the tech inspecting it for Scam Clean would have the knowledge that the Focus in your MY has that 2nd cat. The car has to pass the visual inspection even before they'll put it up on the rollers for the test. :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]227950[/snapback][/right]

I've done about 5 etests so far and they have never done a visual. The Justy wouldnt have passed if they saw how I patched up the cat if they did a visual.

every shop is different, but like I said, I've watched them do the etests, they throw on the OB2 scanner and put it on the rollers and thats it. That was at a local garage and the rockland ford dealer.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 23 2007, 10:46 AM Wrote:Unless something changes on their end or I can't get Friday off (won't know till Monday)... the new exhaust goes on next Friday.

[right][snapback]227894[/snapback][/right]

hey can you take pics of MBRP shop/store?

just curious of how it looks in and out :)
Well, I've got Friday off (the joys of curling with the boss today!) so that's a done deal.

Now to decide whether or not the second cat goes.
need to get my mbrp uninstalled soon!! gotta book a date with the muffler shop! I'll let u guys know how it goes
WOW They DO have exhaust for my new car...only thing is, it's an axle-back only...Then again, a LOT of them for the S197's are only that type...

They have REALLY updated their webpage a LOT! Love the audio and video clips, and everything else! They are really trying to become the Canadian version of Magnaflow...and truthfully, I think they are superior to Magnaflow...( I had MBRP gen 2 on my ZX3, buddy had Magnaflow on his, and mine sounded a LOT tougher).

Maybe I will have to make another visit to MBRP, or maybe more than one...get a custom setup for my truck...

L8tz
She's on.

WOW.

There's this aural treat starting around 3600-3800 RPMs that I never noticed with the stock system... it's like a warble or trill. And as soon as that hits, 5000 comes up quick, you're through 6K and it starts over (well, north of 4000 anyways). I'll try to get it on tape. DAMN.

Oh, and for those of you who saw some of the MBRP stuff at the auto shows of late... I got some up close and personal time with their dually 4-door Dakota, their new skull-painted Mustang GT (don't knock it till you see it) and their ultra-new, not even done yet Turbo'ed Solstice. The whole damn thing is Orange and Cream. It's beyond belief. I also say that because one of my conditions on my Willy Wonka tour was no cameras as some stuff is still in development, including show cars.

I have a couple good pics of the outside that's visible from the parking lot... not sure how exciting that is but I'll post it later.

Their SEMA bay (which is what it is, a massive room for just pimping cars) is unbelievable.

I was also given the OK to convey some offers but I want to clear it with management first. ;)

They're also interested in becoming more active here for all of their offerings for all members (300C, Mustang, etc), ala ZX3Tuning. Again, I'll yak with management before I go into more detail.

In any event, call and ask for Ed, Lorraine or Byron if any of you are considering a MBRP cat-back. I had a ~30 minute chat with all of them today as I waited after my tour... and it was time well spent. They're great folks to deal with and they took care of me in A1 fashion again today.

AND, I just realized I left Jeff out of the list. Sorry Jeff! Jeff was the guy who (with Ed) gave me that nice long review of their SEMA stuff. That and he actually handled my sale! :lol: I'm such a scatterbrain when it comes to remembering folks at times. Jeff's quite the guru at MBRP for making custom stuff happen, too.

And I kept the 2nd cat. I'm glad I did, cause it's still noticeably louder than the SPI (that I recall).
nice Adam

by the way MBRP guy mentioned u on FF.com :P

i knew for sure he was talking about u!!
Actually, "MBRP Tech" is a woman but yup, I think they meant me. :)
Yeah, you'll actually notice that the car is quite more pronounced as the system gets worked in. Drive it like an average Focus driver & nothing. Drive it like you stole it... aural heaven my friend ;)

How long did they take to bolt your system in?

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Mar 3 2007, 12:40 AM Wrote:Yeah, you'll actually notice that the car is quite more pronounced as the system gets worked in.  Drive it like an average Focus driver & nothing.  Drive it like you stole it... aural heaven my friend ;)

How long did they take to bolt your system in?

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]228794[/snapback][/right]

How much did the install cost??
I don't wanna back them into a corner here, but I'll just say that they quoted me an hour's labour for the install and that's all I paid. ;)
Pages: 1 2