FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: And You Thought You Had It Tough At Work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I guess this is one way for an auto maker to reduce head count in a tough market ... or maybe it's just a French thing.

Investigation opened into suicides at Renault

Reuters / February 21, 2007 - 10:45 am

PARIS (Reuters) -- A French prosecutor has opened an inquiry into working conditions at a Renault SA technical design center after three workers committed suicide since last October.

The latest incident involved a man who died at his home last week, leaving a letter blaming work difficulties for his death. In January, another worker drowned himself in a lake near the center.

A third worker killed himself by jumping from the fifth floor of the main building of the center last October. "We have opened an inquiry into the working conditions of the people who committed suicide," said Michel Desplan, the public prosecutor in Versailles.

The CFDT workers union said that workers had been under increasing pressure since the company introduced a restructuring plan last year and called for Renault management to urgently evaluate the situation.

"Since 2006, with the Renault Contract 2009, we have seen a sharp increase in work, a race for deadlines and developing in an activity that is becoming more and more complex," the CFDT said in a statement.

A Renault spokeswoman said the company "deeply regrets" the incidents and extends its respect to the families. She said the company was looking into how "these unfortunate suicides" could have been prevented.

Renault profits dropped sharply in 2006 because of a dip in sales due to its ageing model lines and rising raw material costs.

Wow people need not to take there own life it's so sad when some one makes that final decision...

if any on is EVER feeling that down,,, plese tell someone...ANYONE! and get some assistance.
Maybe they were depressed about Alonso jumping to McLaren. Or. it's a French thing
suprisingly it's not an uncommon thing actually...

In Japan it is kind of expected of you to commit sucide if you fail at something relating to the public or loss of life in the event you were soley responceable.
dumb as hell if you ask me cowards
The worst part is that unless you're THAT noticeable, it's hard to see it coming. I've had low days and I've had LOW days... but even at my worst (unemployed, broke, unsure of what to do, bad relationship) I never contemplated it.

Be there for your friends and family - show them you care even if it isn't THAT specifically that they're heading towards.