FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Saw The Cobra Gt500 At The Autoshow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I cannot believe how cheaply built this car is. Sticker price is $53,XXX and it comes with the same unpainted mirrors as the base mustang. Then there's these cheasy chrome grills just screwed into the hood. Why couldn't they integrate the hood scoops? The wheels gap is worse than a stock focus. Does Ford think that just because it has an uncontrolable 500Hp car they can charge whatever they feel like for it? This car will only sell to the true Cobra GT500 lovers, but for $53k I'll take a horsepower cut and drive something else!

My $0.02!!!
heres the real kicker, most people that bought the GT500 are paying up to 80k for the car.

you can build or get a much better Mustang for the base price.
i actually seen grey GT500 the other day, well at least thats what badges said on it...but it looked like a regular newer GT.......
Yeah, a used one like mine for under 30K before taxes, and then go and spend about 10 grand or so on a Kenne Bell or Procharger Supercharger kit (I'd opt for the Kenne Bell large displacement intercooled unit), and have a car that is easily 500hp on stock internals (though this isn't the best idea for the longterm). Put a heavier forged lower end, and you can have one that's 700-1000hp without spray...

Though the advantage to the GT500, is that it will have the collectibility later on down the road, moreso than a stock GT like mine.
Hey Mike

How was the auto show? I know every year I go and say i will never go again, but has anything been changed?

is it worthed to go?
My dad wanted one and was willing to pay the 53K but when they told him $79,000 there was no way. When talking to the dealer apparently these will be produed in large numbers for 2007 and 2008 so look for the price to come in line. Would still love to have one, but first an 04 Mystic Cobra for me!
David
MAlby7,Feb 18 2007, 12:58 PM Wrote:Cobra GT500
[right][snapback]227294[/snapback][/right]
Ford obviously needs to spend a little more advertising on this waste of money Mustang. They named it the Shelby GT500 and spent plenty of money for that name. Oh, well.
Most dealers I went to were asking $58,000. I offered $53,000 cash and they said no thanks. I mentioned to numerous dealers how right after 9/11 they were begging us to buy one of their products, with Ford even 'allowing' Ford employees A-Plan on SVT's and the T-Bird for the first time in recent history.
For the money I'd take the Corvette ZR6, but only if I lived in the U.S. Then again, that's a whole other rant! :blink:
mo_focus,Feb 18 2007, 04:19 PM Wrote:Hey Mike

How was the auto show? I know every year I go and say i will never go again, but has anything been changed?

is it worthed to go?
[right][snapback]227307[/snapback][/right]

I went today and for $20 per person entry, 4-6 blocks to walk for the free parking (otherwise it's $14-$20) it was ok, but I really found that a lot of it felt smaller then last years, yes there were a few cool concpets, but nothing over the top...

Saturn didn't have it's new Astra there, Ford had the 2008 A.MK1.3 Focus there but it was the 2 door coupe and it was not enterable, not to mention looked like the last gen of the Chevy Caviler in person and you could tell it looked Cheap. The New Taurus was there, again not enterable... suprisingly Mercedes Benz allowed people to enter their cars this year.

I was more suprised how cheap of a quality feel a few cars were there on display.. ie. the Jeep Cumpus & new Seabring looked really super budgeted plasticy on the interiors. not to mention a few Japanese brands too...
I was there yesterday as well. I sat in a bunch of cars without waiting (better on a Monday than on a weekend.) I found the BMW 3 series and Infiniti G35 more claustrophobic than the Focus or Mini.

There will be some interesting competition in the pony car segment with Chevy and Dodge's entrants in 2008:

[Image: 100_1787.jpg]

[Image: 100_1791.jpg]

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X will be coming to Canada and may look like this (better than the current):

[Image: 100_1779.jpg]

I was totally disappointed with the 2008 Focus. It looked so cheap and bland almost like a Toyota Corolla. It was so boring that I did not even want to waste taking a digital picture of it. <_<
^--- I wonder where the inspiration for that front end came from...
[Image: cylon-helmet-with-eye.jpg]
^^^ :lol: I can see what Puppet is trying to get at here lol! They have the 08' Challenger in the Toronto Autoshow? Man I didnt even see that car at the Detroit Autoshow....... interesting...... unless I missed it but I dont think I did because I dont even think Luke (ZX5focused) saw the new Challenger there.
Not to brag but Ive driven both a gt500 and a Z06... lol the vete is insane and out performs but has no feed back,,, the shelby realy blew me away it handled awsome for having a solid rear end,,,

and compared to a stock gt or a sc'd gt (which Iv also driven) it's WAY more refined,,,

you'd have to spend a ton in mods to get the same breaking (which is awsome) and handling out of a stock gt... and then make it reliable?

but I must say all the owners of the aformentioned cars drove mine too.. and loved it :)