FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: More Troubles For Chrysler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My dad and I were talking about all things automotive last night, something we do a lot, and we started talking about Daimler-Chrysler. We talked about despite Dodge doing well with the Chargers and Magnums, Nitro and the new trucks, DC is still in a LOT of trouble. Perhaps moreso than GM or Ford.

Apparently Chrysler announced to some major US newspapers that they were going to go ahead with 13,000 more employee layoffs/buyouts. On top of that, they have also formally admitted that top brass execs for Chrysler are in talks/negotiations with GM execs AGAIN. What does this mean? It means that GM and Chrysler might actually contemplate merging together into a partner company, or one large company, if in the event Daimler Mercedes-Benz decides to pull the cash cow plug out of Chrysler (which they might do, as they have had a LOT of quality control issues, recalls, and not-so stellar sales over the last few years with their OWN products, possibly as a result of the partnership with Chrysler).

It would seem that maybe the Big "6" as they call it now, might eventually become the big "3" again, but this time, with asian automakers making up those 3, if things keep going as they are. Maybe Ford might be the only domestic brand that can survive on it's own, if they can get their turn around to pick up more momentum.

L8tz
this might open the can a little, But The big 3 are getting what they paid for...

As much as i hate to say or think it, The Asian cars are better built(Atleast the motors).

Untill the Big 3 spend the $$$ on what 90% of the market wants instead of 10%, they will go down.

my whole family works for Chrysler(assem plant and Parts depo), they are worried, and so am I.
me.....at this point in time.........not worried.

Chrysler is just finally catching up to Ford who had to catch up to GM and realize this is a new era in car manufacturing. Streamlining the workforce is essential, but bringing the product to the consumer where there is a demand with a good product is key. And I think ford has done that with the Fusion and the F series truck, and the Edge is just another step. The Focus, now that's questionable.
I think of the big 3 ford is prolly the best position and thats not saying much considering i don't think they're in all the great a position. But they do atleast have some more attractive cars coming to the market. But for ford to really make a turn around i think they need to come out with an attractive replacement for the focus or an attractive redesign of the focus, and a sub-compact smaller than the focus to compete with the new sub-compacts the japanese are bringing over.
Bring the KA and SportKA here...or the Fiesta...

Think both would do well here...plus the Fiesta is a nicer car than the likes of a Fit or Yaris...

I think that the car scene is unfair for the domestic brands. All of the mags like Carguide and MotorTrend seem to always wanna talk about asian cars a lot more than domestics (when talking about small and compact cars). It's always Camry this, Accord that, Versa this, Accent that, etc.

When I say that it's unfair, I also think it's unrealistic, because the asian cars which are being toted so highly and considerd top dog, don't compete with the best that the big 3 offer. The cars that Ford and GM make overseas are wayyy better than the cars of the same class that are sold here, as we all know. If those cars were available here, I think that it'd be a more fair comparison, and less biased towards the asian cars.

Look at the Ford Falcon XR8, the Fiesta, the Mondeo. The Vaxhaul Astra, the Asti, the Holden Monaro, Berina, etc. Those are all top of their classes.

Maybe some of you get what I mean...
It won't happen, The Big Three have talked about merging with one another numerous times. And besides, i'm sure they're all working together in some minute way, whatever it takes to keep the wheels spinning... right? :rolleyes:
I think that the merger of Chrysler and GM probably won't happen, both are in the red and a large amount of debt in one company until they become profitable, if they before profitable. I really hate to say it but the unions have been putting a damper on the Detroit automakers. its hard to make a profit when you have to pay for retirement plans and other things like that.

I believe the only likely merger would be between Nissan/Renault and Chrysler, and that would be a bit of a gamble for Nissan/Renault although their CEO has turned around two struggling automakers in two different markets, and is looking for a North American partner. This merger/acquisition seems to be possible since Nissan/Renault actually has money to turn Chrysler around.
The N.A. big 3 have been shooting themselves in the foot for way too long. They need to sit back and take a common sense look at why they've been struggling so much while the European and Asian builders are doing so well. Quality, comfort and design are the most important things to the market. I personally think that way too much effort is constantly put into the truck market, the truck market and oh yeah, the truck market. They need to refocus themselves and revamp themselves. The Euro and Asian cars for the most part are a lot more pleasant to look at and the quality seems to be that little bit higher. Not to mention that they are more comfortable and more performance engineered other than putting a huge motor in a car and making it scream. That's just my opinion.

Meford, just curious, how long have you worked for Ford? If it's as long as I kind of gather, you must have seen a lot of changes.
focusracer,Feb 19 2007, 03:44 PM Wrote:Meford, just curious, how long have you worked for Ford? If it's as long as I kind of gather, you must have seen a lot of changes.
[right][snapback]227385[/snapback][/right]
Me.........14 years in August. I know Sparky and CanadaSVT have been at Ford longer than I
And yes, I have seen many changes and goofball decisions from those in management who don't have a friggin clue. When we were building the Windstar, we all saw the problems right away with the transmissions, front end suspension and a long list of eventual recalls. They told us not to worry, that the dealer would fix the items before they got sold. It didn't happen and we all know how well that went. Now, the idea seems to be fix the problem before it becomes a bigger problem, fix the problem in station and get the job done right the first time. I think the Edge is a blockbuster of a vehicle, and yes, I would buy one.
meford4u,Feb 19 2007, 09:25 PM Wrote:Me.........14 years in August.  I know Sparky and CanadaSVT have been at Ford longer than I
And yes, I have seen many changes and goofball decisions from those in management who don't have a friggin clue.  When we were building the Windstar, we all saw the problems right away with the transmissions, front end suspension and a long list of eventual recalls.  They told us not to worry, that the dealer would fix the items before they got sold.  It didn't happen and we all know how well that went.  Now, the idea seems to be fix the problem before it becomes a bigger problem, fix the problem in station and get the job done right the first time.  I think the Edge is a blockbuster of a vehicle, and yes, I would buy one.
[right][snapback]227392[/snapback][/right]

thats the kind of thinking you want in assembling anything, fix it before it becomes a bigger problem. Kudos to your entire plant Bryan.
Chrysler is in bigger trouble with the charger and magnum than it would initially let on. You can definitely get magnums at pretty decent prices.

and the charger is only showing modest gains..

GM was listening to offers from other auto manufacturers, but there was no 'talks'.

they're top of the pile and don't believe in sharing or making concessions. Their executive are very much the aristocracy...