FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Key
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

Can someone tell me what the cost of a new key is WITH the transponder top. Friend of mine has lost her spare, so needs to get another one cut. I assume this can be bought at the local stealers, or maybe Canadian Tire, and cut there? I know how to to the PATS programming, os that's not a problem.

I tried to search, but KEY is too short a search term :lol:

Cheers,
Scorp.
When my ignition cylinder locked on me, I tried getting it unlocked with a new key. So I went to the dealership, and had one cut. It cost me $35 dollars. But that wouldnt start my car, they wanted another $85 to program the key.

Since I didnt have both keys with me, I had to pay it, but there is a way to program it youself if I recall correctly. Im sure somebody will pipe up
Ok Flo, thanks...it's the $35.00 bit that's important. If that's right (I'm sure it is) then t's not a bad price to pay. The reprogramming is no problem. It's just the supply and cutting she needs.

S.
also look into CAA, they pay upto 120 for key cutting.

If she has CAA, maybe she can get the money from CAA and pay Ford for programming and cutting a new key.

Also one more thing to cconsider, Why do you need the spare key?

If she has a tendancy to lock the keys inside of the car all the time, all you have to do is to get a spare key that will allow you to get in the door. once you open the door and retrive the original key with PATS, she will be able to start the car.

eBay. Bought plenty on there. They run about $20 for 2.

Just look at the feedback. I can post some sellers I've used if you want.
key with pats = 40$ish
+ reprograming to use in ignition done via wds 85ish dollars.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 16 2007, 01:47 PM Wrote:eBay. Bought plenty on there. They run about $20 for 2.

Just look at the feedback. I can post some sellers I've used if you want.
[right][snapback]227136[/snapback][/right]

Lose your keys much?
:lol:
Alien-Tek,Feb 16 2007, 04: Wrote:Lose your keys much?
:lol:
[right][snapback]227153[/snapback][/right]
No, I'm probably jinxing myself, but I've never lost my car keys ever, and I've been driving 23 years.

1) I get n00bs asking the same question all the time, half of them without the skills to set up an eBay account, so I buy them for them and charge them $5 for the trouble.

2) When you buy a new car, you get two keys. If you have 2 keys, you can program a 3rd. If you lose a key before you program a 3rd, you're SOL, you have no choice but to go to a dealer and get the PATS key reprogrammed ($120 TYVM).
My new cars (only had 3 PATS cars) I buy 2 extra keys, for $20. Cut and program them both, and one goes into the safe and the other to the MIL for emergency access.

3) My buddy put an autostart in his wife's Taurus and needed the extra PATS chip to put into the "coffin" (the device that tricks the car into thinking the key is in the ignition so the autostart works).
Thanks all.

She called Ford (don't know why she didn't do that in first place....actually...why didn't I?...lol) and they told her 39.95 for the key and cut, so she's going to go get one, and I'll do the reprogram.

She only ever had 2 keys with it..bought it about 2 years ago I think. However, she has 'mislaid' her second key, but 'knows' it's in the house somewhere....I hope for her sake that she does find it, otherwise...........FORD, here she comes!

Scorp.