FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Trip To Ottawa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Going to Ottawa tomorrow, coming back Saturday. I will be taking the 401, 416. I just need to know if there are any bad stretches along the way, as in snowsquall areas etc.
oldeguy,Feb 15 2007, 05:05 PM Wrote:Going to Ottawa tomorrow, coming back Saturday. I will be taking the 401, 416. I just need to know if there are any bad stretches along the way, as in snowsquall areas etc.
[right][snapback]227030[/snapback][/right]

Well the road in Ottawa are not that bad..there's alot of blowing snow.
High Police Radar areas: 1000 Islands/Brockville/Kingston.

Other than that, pretty clear and boring. It is really windy here, I dont even have to shovel my driveway anymore, the wind blew it away! :lol:
From what I've heard, the highways are pretty clear... just make sure that once you hit the 416 you're gased up.... because there really is nowhere to stop for a bit. And at about km 30 till North Gower-ish and then between Manotick and Fallowfield, be careful for blowing snow. It's not normally too terrible, but just be on the safe side. As for speed traps, there is normally one just after the Fallowfield exit, just before the Hunt Club exit.... they're sneaky there, sometime's they'll hide on the overpass.

Anyways, safe drive... and when you drive past the ONE highway exit off the 416 that says Manotick... wave !!
I'm not too worried about the speedtraps, my personal speed control assistant, ( my wife) is coming with me. We're visiting one of my kids who is going to Algonquin for Culinary Management.. He is in a "cook off" on Saturday.
It's a boring ass drive and normally I find it to be uneventful (yes, I know he means 401-416). They're pretty good about keeping the 400-series highways clear across the province.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 16 2007, 09:04 AM Wrote:It's a boring ass drive and normally I find it to be uneventful (yes, I know he means 401-416). They're pretty good about keeping the 400-series highways clear across the province.
[right][snapback]227106[/snapback][/right]
I agree it's boring. But, it's probably the safest in winter. I like taking Hwy 7 when I'm not in a hurry
ZX5chica,Feb 15 2007, 08:37 PM Wrote:just make sure that once you hit the 416 you're gased up.... because there really is nowhere to stop for a bit. [right][snapback]227065[/snapback][/right]

Oh, so Kemptville is nowhere? Only 5 gas stations within 2 minutes of the 416 :P Where does Kars rate then?

As far as keeping the 416 clear, they've actually been really bad this year compared to last year. Been more than a few nights on the way home where I've thought of taking back roads since they are better looked after.

Ryan
reldridge,Feb 18 2007, 04:58 AM Wrote:
ZX5chica,Feb 15 2007, 08:37 PM Wrote:just make sure that once you hit the 416 you're gased up.... because there really is nowhere to stop for a bit. [right][snapback]227065[/snapback][/right]

Oh, so Kemptville is nowhere? Only 5 gas stations within 2 minutes of the 416 :P Where does Kars rate then?

As far as keeping the 416 clear, they've actually been really bad this year compared to last year. Been more than a few nights on the way home where I've thought of taking back roads since they are better looked after.

Ryan
[right][snapback]227275[/snapback][/right]

Sorry about that... what I meant was that there were no massive service stations ie: the infamus wendy's, tim hortons and gas station stops along the 416.

Obviously there are places along the way to buy gas... you just have to get off the highway a bit.

In any case, I live around there as well.... so I would not be poking fun...