FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Offers Sneak Peek At New Mondeo Sedan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ford Offers Sneak Peek at New Mondeo
02-13-2007

BRENTWOOD, England — Ford has released teaser images of its new Mondeo in advance of the car's world debut at the 2007 Geneva Auto Show. The vehicle should be of major interest to U.S. buyers, even though the car initially will only go on sale in Europe this summer, since it is one of several vehicles under consideration by the Dearborn automaker for launch in America.

Just as Saturn has done with the Astra, sister car to the Opel Astra, Ford is taking a hard look at whether its European models, such as the Mondeo, would be appealing to American buyers who have shown a decided distaste for products like the Ford Five Hundred. The Five Hundred was recently renamed the Taurus in a bid to boost the vehicle's showroom traffic. The Mondeo is said to be one of several vehicles being studied for a U.S. launch at the behest of Ford's new president and CEO Alan Mulally.

The new Mondeo goes upscale, apparently adopting design cues from sister brand Jaguar. It will be offered in three variants: a sedan, a hatchback and a wagon. "It's probably the most elegant car we've ever launched, and it's certainly the most technologically advanced," said Roelant de Waard, Ford of Britain's chairman and managing director.

[Image: ford_mondeo_500.jpg]

Ford says the new Mondeo is the most recent example of its "kinetic design" language. Exterior cues include striking taillights, a shoulder line that runs through the side of the car and chamfered corners. The cabin gets such luxury touches as piano black trim, soft-touch materials and ambient lighting.

[Image: ford_mondeo2_500.jpg]

The Mondeo will come in four trim levels in Europe, including the base Edge, the Zetec series, and the top-of-the-line Ghia and Titanium X models. Ford says the Ghia represents "classic luxury," with lots of chrome and wood in the cabin. The Titanium model has a more contemporary look, à la Audi.

[Image: mondeocabin_500.jpg]

High-tech features include vehicle dynamics control with hill launch assist and adaptive cruise control. The new Mondeo gets a wider track and a new rear suspension.

For Europe, the engine choices include a 1.8-liter 98-horsepower or 123-hp diesel with a five-speed manual transmission or a 2.0-liter 138-hp diesel with a six-speed manual transmission. Gas engines include a 108-hp or 123-hp 1.6-liter with a five-speed manual transmission and a new 2.3-liter four-cylinder that makes 159 hp. The new engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. A range-topping 2.5-liter five-cylinder delivers 217 hp and is mated to a six-speed manual transmission.

The Mondeo is set for launch in Europe in June.

What this means to you: Ford clearly has put a lot of effort into the redesign of the Mondeo — effort that could pay off if it hits U.S. showrooms.
I like the look, very handsome and quite upscale for a mid sized sedan (at least that's what it will likely be here)

The only question to my mind would be what model would Ford NA kill here to bring this over and whether they'd bring the wagon & hatch variants. We know that the hatch variant would likely do well in Canada, but hatches seem to be about as popular as poison ivy in the US...

NefCanuck
I knock on Ford a lot, but if they brought over more cars like this, they could change my mind.

But who Am I in the grand scheme of things heh!!!
well actually Nef, the Hatch is just a 5 door hatch, more or less similar to the Mazda6's Hatch design, So yeah no 3 door hatch. as for the wagon I posted the Concept photos of it up a little while ago, and after seeing this version it's very similar to the production version I posted.
Sharp lookin' Ford! I'd like to see that car over here but wouldn't it cannibalize Fusion sales?
One can only hope that for Ford NA's sake that they do bring over better looking cars like that from Europe. God knows there's really not much in the NA line-up from ford right now that compares.
Nice, saw that car in the New James Bond Movie.
That is a very nice looking car..

The problems I can see with bringing it over is of course killing the new Fusion, and the famous Ford North America "cheapening" of European models.. The question remains as to how much North America is willing to pay for a Ford (or any domestic non-V8 for that matter), and will Ford try to bring the price down by lowering quality items and building in Mexico..

If I were in the market for a new car, this would get me in to a Ford dealership.. none of the other current models would.
thats sexy.....i'd do it
Nice car. Looks a bit like a Volvo S80.
:hitit: That to me blows the Fusion out of the water. If Ford was smart enough to bring it over, it would be a hawt seller.

Oh, and the line for Canadian models would start behind me. :D I'll take mine in silver with the 2.5T.

Ryan
My gawd... I'll take one. Considering our market's direction, Ford better smarten up with their Bold Moves and bring over more Euro models, this one would make a killing in our market!
you know I was thinking about this last night at work, if Ford brought this over in all three versions and Named it Taurus and did the base pricing on it the same as they did with the Taurus in the 1980's & 1990's it would bring more people into the showrooms and not to mention it would generate more hype for Ford, not to mention sales as well most Auto Repoters on the Fusion have said " that the Fusion is a great car, but it's just, well avarage"
Found a hatch version pic

[Image: 021520071454581048.jpg]
Frost__2001,Feb 16 2007, 10:35 AM Wrote:Found a hatch version pic

[Image: 021520071454581048.jpg]
[right][snapback]227124[/snapback][/right]

:hitit: :wub: Now that's how to do a hatchback. Hell, i'd buy it even if I ended up spending $ to make the wiper controls work for me :)

NefCanuck
now thats just pro guy!! pro
i see minimal difference between hatch and sedan
I think they should drop the 500 Altogether. Use the new Mondeo as it's replacement, rather than reskin it and call it the Taurus. I think that new Mondeo is a really nice car, and I beleive it shares its architecture with the Volvo S60, as the Foci is an S40/C30.

They would likely sell well, as they do look like a very upscale vehicle in contrast to previous Ford sedans.

I think though, that the QC from Hermisillo (sorry, spelling) is very good. As are the cars built at the Kansas City plant too. My ZX3 was built in KC, as was my dad's Topaz, the contour we had, etc. All of which had/have very good fit and finish, and few problems.

I think Ford is on the right track, or knows what they need to do, they are just moving a bit too slow.
I was reading the Winnipeg Free Press today and even the editor of the automotive section (Kelly Taylor) wrote an aritcle about this (how this should be the car Ford of NA is selling). I wanted to link to it but I'd have to pay :( But still, if enthusiasts and auto journalists know and ask for it why the hell isn't/can't Ford listen?????
If Ford is serious about making a profit again, It would make sense, wouldn't it? to make their cars the same world wide. Ford should drop the "new" Taurus, slide the Mondeo into that slot, drop the Fusion, use the lesser equipped Mondeos to cover that market, bring over the Focus, ( please and thank you ), all trim levels, and bring over the Fiesta. North America can keep designing the trucks and the mustangs. It's that simple. Isn't it? but
Pages: 1 2