FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Svt Clutch Rattle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just bought a 2002 Focus SVt with 92000km on it. My power train warrenty is up at 100000 km.
I have the marbles in a can sound as i start the car. Also i have a slight virbration when not in gear. My cluch is not sliping and seems strong. what work will be done under warrenty in regards to the TSB or am i out of luck and have to pay for this work. Also i checked on a new power heated mirror and was told a price of $260.00 dollars unpainted. Can i get a better price?
It shouldn't cost you anything to get it fixed as it is a TSB.I haven't had any problems with mine. Check on FocusFanantics.com there is a whole thread on this issue.
It's called gear rollover noise and apparently (according to ford) it;s not a bad thing.

It is if you don;t like your car to sound like a diesel.

I got over it.
jamcan42,Feb 11 2007, 11:23 AM Wrote:I just bought a 2002 Focus SVt with 92000km on it. My power train warrenty is up at 100000 km.
I have the marbles in a can sound as i start the car. Also i have a slight virbration  when not in gear. My cluch is not sliping and seems strong. what work will be done under warrenty in regards to the TSB or am i out of luck and have to pay for this work. [right][snapback]226479[/snapback][/right]

You can check with dealers in your area but you are probably out of luck for any warranty regarding the clutch. It's considered a "consumable item" like brakes. And TSB's are not recalls, the dealer is not required or bound in any way to perform any work or do so for free because of a TSB. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't expect them to do it.
BTW congrats on your purchase and welcome to FC.net.
i talked to the dealer today and they said the only thing that might be covered is the slave cylinder. It will go in on Thusday for once over at $1.25 a minute to look at it. Oh well. Pride of owership!! I asked about a loner car and was told only if one is available. I will up date on more info.
First tell the dealer you get the loaner since while SVT are in the shop they are entitled. Donway gives me a loaner if my oil change isnt finished in an hour, they say that what SVT owners paid for. As for the TSB if the dealer will not cover them call Ford. If it is not the Clutch itself or the wear is caused by another defect it is covered. Loking at SVTOA the noise usually is caused by the throw-out bearing. Are you going to an SVT dealer?
David
the nearest SVT dealer is 2 and a half hours away. But i will call Ford and when i bought the car i also got a after market warrenty. They said they would cover the problem as long as the car was not working right. So i will look into every possible way.
Info is easier for me to give if I know where you are located. You don't have my old '02 do you? :(
I don't know. Black and did you smoke and have a dog? I live in Kincardine, Ontario. The nearest SVT dealer is in St thomas.
jamcan42,Feb 12 2007, 10:48 PM Wrote:I don't know. Black and did you smoke and have a dog? I live in Kincardine, Ontario. The nearest SVT dealer is in St thomas.
Mine was black, and I did smoke, and if the dog hair in the cargo is brown it's from our chocolate Lab. Build #1583

[Image: 34b7f43b.jpg]
:fluffy: oops.
Not the same one
Well i stopped into a SVT dealer in London, Ont. As said before the clutch will not be fixed with 92000km showing. It's pointed out to me that a TSB is not a recall.
I was told that there really isn't a throw out bearing in the SVT set up. It's called a cylinder assembly. The noise is movment within the assembly which causes the damage. I explained my clutch is not slipping and seems strong. I was told the clutch will not give any warning that it is about to go and you will just go to shift and it will not work. The price break down is as follows: plate asy-158.86, disk asy-157.46, core price-15.00, cylinder asy- 251.00. Plus nine hours of labour- 729.95.
It was pointed out to me that i may not need all these parts untill the car is pulled apart and can be inspected. Also as far as the bell housing being damaged the service manager said he has not seen this yet. With this fix one is garrenteed for one year or 20000km and these are up dated parts to fix the problem.
What to do now??
SVT ZX3,Feb 12 2007, 09:33 AM Wrote:It's considered a "consumable item" like brakes. And TSB's are not recalls, the dealer is not required or bound in any way to perform any work or do so for free because of a TSB. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't expect them to do it.
[right][snapback]226547[/snapback][/right]

jamcan42,Feb 13 2007, 05:32 PM Wrote:Well i stopped into a SVT dealer in London, Ont. As said before the clutch will not be fixed with 92000km showing. It's pointed out to me that a TSB is not a recall.
[right][snapback]226780[/snapback][/right]

Sorry to hear that, I tried to warn you though.
i have 120k on mine and i only hear the clutch every once and in a while. i tried to get ford to fix it under the tsb when i had under 40k or 60k, but the clutch wasn't rattling at the time and therefore the service tech said he couldn't fix it. i don't drive my car hard, i don't race power shift, all that stuff. if you go easy on the clutch it should last for a bit more. i'm looking at replacing it this summer if it the sounds gets worse or i hear it all the time.

good luck.
WOW it would be cheaper to swap in a used MTX75 with LSD and a ring gear set... then you could sell the getrag to some one who wants one.. or trade and cash? and have LSD and a wicked 1/4 mile time!
Well i went to the dealer here in Kincardine and the service manager looked over the TSB and then listened to the clutch. He said he didn't think i had the most seroius problems according to the TSB. Well we already know that it will not be covered but at least he was more positive that the dealer in London. ALso he said he has never heard of that kind of rattle on start up in any focus. I was told to bring it in as i still have some drive train warrenty and they will look the car over for me. But the car runs strong and i feel somewhat better and the servive manager seems sincere. I guess i will fiind out. The car is a blast to drive i must say!!
glad you found a good dealer. Stick with them and be nice, and Im sure they'll return the favour. B)