FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Difficulty In Starting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
During the last few weeks where the temperature has averaged minus 10 degrees during the day, I have had great difficulty in starting my car outside (especially when it has been sitting in the cold all day.)

It sounds like the battery and starter are doing its job. It will crank 6-7 times. The engine is trying to catch making popping sounds at very low rpm. It finally catchs and starts after severaly attempts.

It starts no problem in the morning. My car is in the garage all night.

Luckily I have access to an extention cord at work and I have plugged it into the block heater the last couple of days. It starts on the first attempt after being plugged in.

What could be the problem?

Is my exhaust freezing causing a blockage that is eventually blown out after severaly start attempts?

I have a RT highflow cat that sits below the engine after my SVT header. It is probably the low point in the exhaust system where moisture accumulates and probably freezes. Could this be the problem?

[Image: RTcat.jpg]
Actually this may not surprise you but I was having the same problem right up untill a few days ago.
Have the IAC motor/sensor cleaned. It is responsible for opening a small valve on startup among other things. in the cold the valve is sticking so your not getting a start.

You have described my exact problem and that fixed it. Now I start with no issues.
I would blame this because you have the same year car as me.
A cleaning should cost you all of 70 bux
It may just be "that cold" if the block heater is helping that much.

I notice there's an extra couple of cranks at least when starting our Focus at -20C with no block heater vs. -25C and below with the block heater on.

Actually, it's a little more disparate than that. With the heater on all night, it fires up almost instantly. There's a definite crank period with the car sitting cold all night.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 8 2007, 09:32 AM Wrote:It may just be "that cold" if the block heater is helping that much.

I notice there's an extra couple of cranks at least when starting our Focus at -20C with no block heater vs. -25C and below with the block heater on.

Actually, it's a little more disparate than that. With the heater on all night, it fires up almost instantly. There's a definite crank period with the car sitting cold all night.
[right][snapback]226195[/snapback][/right]

Yup. I was getting the exact same thing. I would of coarce get you batter tested and check for corrosion but if it looks good get the IAC checked.

When I used my block heater over night I also had no problems witch is why it took me so long to figure out.
The heater helps because the IAC is on the motor.
It could be your oil. If you don't use it, try using synthetic oil, it isn't affected by the cold.
oldeguy,Feb 8 2007, 10:13 AM Wrote:It could be your oil. If you don't use it, try using synthetic oil, it isn't affected by the cold.
[right][snapback]226204[/snapback][/right]

Already using Mobile 1 synth.
Along with the IAC issue, I'd say it's just the cold. When we had our little cold snap out here in BC, about -15 or so, mine cranked a half dozen times before firing.
Sorry I had a good laugh when I saw the term "arctic temperatures" and then "minus 10 degrees" in the message body. We're just nearing the end of a cold snap where the highs have been -20 to -25 during the day.. haven't had any problems starting the Focus in these temps. I'd probably get those sensors looked at like they said.

If you have a stock exhaust (which you probably don't, but still) there have been cases of the second muffler freezing up in extreme cold after short trips (when I say extreme, I'm talking closer to -40). That happened to a guy I knew last year.
We're in the same boat here, Steve, and I'm not experiencing what Vince is going through either.
yeah I noticed that too durring the cold snap, but since I parked it nose out of the wind, the problem stopped.
My car turns over slowly in the morning as well.

I have the sae problem slow cranking and the car not catching. I had to tow my car to my shop and change my starter( it was the original one so it did it's job at 7yrs and 135000 on the clock) . But this yersterday I went to start the car and again same problem slow cranking I tried everything,so I just left it and tried it this morning when the temp went up above 0 and it started like nothing.I checked everything I cant find the problem. Do u guys know?
My car won't start last Wed and a new battery solve all the problem.
you can also do what the IAC is suposed to by holding the throttle part way open to give it a big breath of air on starting,,, when starting you might here your fuel pump come on line just befor you crakk it over... turn the key to the on position without cranking.. you'l here the fuel pump come on line and the injectors giv a spray into the cylinders geting ready to turn over,,, wait a second crack the throttle... and then crank it over...

it will start and smell kinda rich,,,, but that cool

dunno just my experiance..