FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Children Of Men
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have you guys seen the movie 'Children of Men' yet... and if so, what did you think?

Personally, I found it was a bit like watching a theatrical re-enactment of a George Orwell novel, but I still liked it. There were some pretty strong opinions from the others in the theatre I watched it with... so, what were yours?
ZX5chica,Feb 6 2007, 06:55 PM Wrote:Have you guys seen the movie 'Children of Men' yet... and if so, what did you think?

Personally, I found it was a bit like watching a theatrical re-enactment of a George Orwell novel, but I still liked it. There were some pretty strong opinions from the others in the theatre I watched it with... so, what were yours?
[right][snapback]225967[/snapback][/right]
I found it very compelling in a dark, forboding kind of way ... and the acting was all 'round really excellent which made it easy to forgive a few of the inconsistencies with the plot line ... having said that I did find the ending somewhat unrewarding and I wish they had reduced the action sequences a bit more in favour of character and background development ... but I'm glad I saw it and I would recommend it.
What's wrong with a re-enactment of a George Orwell novel?

I enjoyed the movie for the most part. I agree the ending was unrewarding, and that the action was a bit much for that movie.

That said, I really liked the action and the urban warfare. I thought it was very well done.

In the end though, I did feel a bit gypped with that unrewarding ending.
i liked it....its one of those movies that i'd watch twice if i could
Aka,Feb 6 2007, 08:50 PM Wrote:What's wrong with a re-enactment of a George Orwell novel?

[right][snapback]225996[/snapback][/right]

Absolutely nothing.... I love Orwell! What I meant by that was that I kept thinking during the movie of when I would read his books, and have the plot line being portrayed in my own mind, that the movie to me was what I would have thought his books would be like.
It was kind of scary actually... it was like living through a dream which only you had ever seen.. yet somebody else would be able to portray.

All in all, I think a blend of Orwell's 1984, Huxleys Brave New World and The Crysalids (Wyndham???). Kinda science fiction.... I really liked it
Great movie!!! Loved the little subtle parts like everyone clinging to their pets (like you can imagine they would if children no longer existed) Also loved the long scenes made to look like a single take.. I fount they kept you in the scene really well.
lordkingod,Feb 6 2007, 11:36 PM Wrote:Great movie!!! Loved the little subtle parts like everyone clinging to their pets (like you can imagine they would if children no longer existed) Also loved the long scenes made to look like a single take.. I fount they kept you in the scene really well.
[right][snapback]226030[/snapback][/right]
This is true. During the urban war type scene some stuff splatters on the lens of the camera, this stays on screen for quite a while. It made it seem more realistic, like either you were there or at least the camera guy was there.

I'm not sure how long some of the takes were, but I'm sure it was a pain in the ass to do them. Everything would have to be perfect, and if you screwed it up you'd have to do that whole take again.

I didn't notice everyone clinging to their pets, I'll have to watch it again.
I wasn't sure about this one, but it sounds like a very well done movie and a good plot to it as well. Might check it out on Sunday after moving.