FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Shakes In Reverse At Idle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well as the header says, its a 2000 auto zetec, 120,000km. Wife says on Friday, "cars been acting funny for a couple of weeks", (couple of weeks!!!!) When I put it in R the whole car shakes/vibrates but only at idle or very low rpm, give it gas and it smooths out. Don't notice the shake in any other gear setting, just R. Had a look under the car, exhaust looks fine not touching the floor, brakes are fine, not sticking. Now that's my problem, what else should I look for, any ideas? Thanks

DRyanC

EDIT- mounts are also fine.
once in a while i'll have some bad shakes but then they go away, but this sounds wierd.
Still sounds like a mount (I know you said you checked). Maybe the bushing for the dogbone is worn. The rubber bushings have be known to rot out. Did you check all three mounts> passenger side, drivers side (under the airbox) and rear dogbone?
I would say a motor mount as well.
Thanks guys, I'll double check the mounts. Anybody have decent pricing on poly mounts? Does anyone have the lower, right, and left on their daily driver car?

DRyanC
I've got a VF Engineering rear (lower) mount on mine, I put it in a long time ago to improve the shifting. It did add a lot of vibration to the car at idle. Don't know if you'd want to go all three unless you're prepared for a lot more shake. Most people I know that have reprogram their idle higher to smoothen it out.
DRyanC,Nov 9 2009, 10:26 AM Wrote:Thanks guys, I'll double check the mounts. Anybody have decent pricing on poly mounts? Does anyone have the lower, right, and left on their daily driver car?

DRyanC
[right][snapback]297033[/snapback][/right]

I have a MAC Performance one with grease nipples. Does vibrate around 1100-1500RPM but you get some use to it. (Tranny Mount/dog bone)

http://www.dsr3.com/index.asp?initemuid=57&fcmd=item

Try to find them on Ebay. I got it for $40 on there and tell them to send it as a gift too. If you get it.
Has anybody tried the Prothane inserts?
Found the problem. There was a stone jammed in by the lower mount, about a 1in round.

DRyanC
Was going to say, the only time I ever had that was on the SPI when ice had clogged up and frozen around the transmission and motor mounts.

Good to see that you had it resolved!