FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bearing, Brake Disc, Or Wheel Problem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, It's been a long time since I posted here... What's up?

I have a decent vibration problem on my 2000 spi 200k kms. I just changed my brake pads and I have slotted dics ( probably powerslot). I know they are shot because they vibrate on the pedal when I brake, and I got a mechanic to confirm this. But I also have a vibration going from 95km/h to 120km on the steering, and sometimes on the whole car. I've been using steel wheels since 3 years with no re-balancing. Also, when I turn right on the freeway, I hear a rattling sound. I would think it is a worn bearing, but would the vibration come from an unbalanced wheel or a vibrating disc instead? I just wanna make sure before I order, I am ordering my parts from the U.S. from tousley ford so I need to order it good first time... Thanks for your help!
well if you dont want to spend the money, just get your balance done first. that way you will know if its the tire or disc.

Also i had slotted disc and hated them. they would rust and go way off balance. so maybe you should just stick with the none slotted one this time

Bearings, well when you have your car on the jack, just spin them by hand and listen for the bearing.

So i guess, I would do the following
1- balance tires, while in the shop listen for bearing noise and order if nessasary.
2- drive the car again and if the vibration is still there it will most likely be your disc.

mo_focus,Feb 3 2007, 07:36 PM Wrote:well if you dont want to spend the money, just get your balance done first. that way you will know if its the tire or disc.

Also i had slotted disc and hated them. they would rust and go way off balance. so maybe you should just stick with the none slotted one this time

Bearings, well when you have your car on the jack, just spin them by hand and listen for the bearing.

So i guess, I would do the following
1- balance tires, while in the shop listen for bearing noise and order if nessasary.
2- drive the car again and if the vibration is still there it will most likely be your disc.
[right][snapback]225668[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but if the disc is crooked won't it just sound like a bad bearing when I turn the wheel?
Anyway that's the way I'll be going, thanks for the info!
if the vibration problem isn't there in the summer when you use your summer wheels, then i think you've just narrowed down the problem right there

The proper way to do things is to check the runout on your rotors when you changed your brake pads and remedied that situation (turn your existing rotors or get new ones) before you even try to diagnose any other possibilities. A rotor vibrating puts more strain on your whole steering system.

A bad bearing usually gets louder when turning, a vibrating brake normally sounds the same at the same speed regardless.

And I will repeat this as I have said to pretty much anyone else here asking this type of advice.

If you are not fairly positive of the source of your problem, STOP. Suspension components can be pretty expensive, DO NOT JUST THROW PARTS AT IT UNTIL IT'S FIXED. Find someone fairly knowledgeable to help you. I have seen too often people changing the bearing on the wrong side because "that's the side it sounded like when I was driving it".

As for your tire balance, going a few years without a balance is not a good idea if you store your tires, especially if you store them upright and not flat, they will get a flat spot from sitting for 8 months. You should balance your tires every few years, even if you don't drive a lot of km on them.

My $.02 anyways.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 3 2007, 11:49 PM Wrote:The proper way to do things is to check the runout on your rotors when you changed your brake pads and remedied that situation (turn your existing rotors or get new ones) before you even try to diagnose any other possibilities. A rotor vibrating puts more strain on your whole steering system.

A bad bearing usually gets louder when turning, a vibrating brake normally sounds the same at the same speed regardless.

And I will repeat this as I have said to pretty much anyone else here asking this type of advice.

If you are not fairly positive of the source of your problem, STOP. Suspension components can be pretty expensive, DO NOT JUST THROW PARTS AT IT UNTIL IT'S FIXED. Find someone fairly knowledgeable to help you. I have seen too often people changing the bearing on the wrong side because "that's the side it sounded like when I was driving it".

As for your tire balance, going a few years without a balance is not a good idea if you store your tires, especially if you store them upright and not flat, they will get a flat spot from sitting for 8 months. You should balance your tires every few years, even if you don't drive a lot of km on them.

My $.02 anyways.
[right][snapback]225683[/snapback][/right]

Good advice!

Get the tires balanced, check your rims for any nasty bends and go from there.

Why do heart surgury for indigestion?
ANTHONYD,Feb 4 2007, 11:08 AM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Feb 3 2007, 11:49 PM Wrote:The proper way to do things is to check the runout on your rotors when you changed your brake pads and remedied that situation (turn your existing rotors or get new ones) before you even try to diagnose any other possibilities. A rotor vibrating puts more strain on your whole steering system.

My $.02 anyways.
[right][snapback]225683[/snapback][/right]

Good advice!

Get the tires balanced, check your rims for any nasty bends and go from there.

Why do heart surgury for indigestion?
[right][snapback]225696[/snapback][/right]

ok i'll go do a balancing first , and I'll go see my mechanic after if it persists. Thanks guys!