FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fingerprint Anti-theft Device 4 Vehicles Announced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fingerprint anti-theft device for vehicles announced
Feb. 1, 2007

Scottsdale, Arizona - SID Protect Inc. has announced the release of the SID, a fingerprint anti-theft device for vehicles. When SID is fitted to a vehicle, only those with fingerprints registered in the device can start the vehicle.

SID uses biometric fingerprint technology to ensure that only those people who have been authorized by the vehicle owner can operate the vehicle. Up to twenty users, plus the owner, can be stored in the device; the owner becomes the administrator, and is the only person able to add or delete users, or set or change the optional PIN number. Only people authorized by the owner can be enrolled in SID.

Unlike other anti-theft devices, which use a key, remote or PIN number, SID cannot be used by anyone who simply finds the device. A valet mode is included for times when someone other than an enrolled user needs to access the vehicle, such as a service technician. Any enrolled user can put the vehicle into or take it out of valet mode.

SID does not replace the ignition key; to start the vehicle, an operator must have the key and also have a fingerprint registered in SID. For more information, visit JustBiometrics.com.

That would suck to be carjacked AND have your thumb cut off.....
OAC_Sparky,Feb 1 2007, 06:54 AM Wrote:That would suck to be carjacked AND have your thumb cut off.....
[right][snapback]225285[/snapback][/right]

its happened in the past, i think in 2005 a wealthy business man had his index finger cut off by a group of thieves so that they could steal his Mercedes S-class that had finger print identification.
in 10 years time, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy scanning my thumb, turning a key, punching a pin, giving a breathalyzer, and providing a urine sample just to drive my damn car.... especially when it's -40 out...
darkpuppet,Feb 3 2007, 01:12 PM Wrote:in 10 years time, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy scanning my thumb, turning a key, punching a pin, giving a breathalyzer, and providing a urine sample just to drive my damn car.... especially when it's -40 out...
[right][snapback]225643[/snapback][/right]

Don't worry, by then you won't even have to drive the car. You'll tell OnStar where you want to go and it'll drive you there. Pretty soon with all the technology advances we'll be able to finally eliminate all the fun parts out of your automotive experience. :lol:
darkpuppet,Feb 3 2007, 02:12 PM Wrote:in 10 years time, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy scanning my thumb, turning a key, punching a pin, giving a breathalyzer, and providing a urine sample just to drive my damn car.... especially when it's -40 out...
[right][snapback]225643[/snapback][/right]
Just think, you'll also have to get clearance to "drop the hammer".

:D
I never stop 'dropping the hammer'.... it's the catch phrase you read everywhere now!
I wonder just how secure finger print entry is going to be...

mythbusters would have me believing 'not very'