FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ont. Gov't Website To Embarrass Deadbeat Parents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ont. gov't website to embarrass deadbeat parents
Updated Fri. Jan. 26 2007 9:01 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Ontario's Liberal government is planning to post the pictures of "deadbeat" parents who have refused to pay their child support on a new website.

"Most parents are following court orders and making their payments," Social Services Minister Madeleine Meilleur said in a statement.

"But there are also some irresponsible parents out there and our message is simple: you owe your children money and we will find you."

The government says the hope is that members of the public will recognize the faces and inform the province's Family Responsibility Office about the whereabouts of the person being sought.

Meilleur conceded in an interview with The Canadian Press that the website "will of course embarrass" deadbeat parents.

She says parents would be advised that their picture is about to be posted, giving them one last chance to pay up.

The government will be launching the new webpage in late February 2007.

Renate Diorio, founder of Families Against Deadbeats, says they support the move.

"We firmly believe that children shouldn't do without because a parent doesn't live up to their responsibilities. These new developments at the FRO will help make a positive difference in the lives of many Ontario families."

Ontario's Family Responsibility Office has almost 188,000 active cases, with each remaining open for an average of 12 years.

Ontario's ombudsman recently lashed criticism against the FRO, for being "inept'' and having a "lackadaisical'' attitude when it comes to collecting outstanding support.

Meilleur said there have been big changes at the office and that things are improving.

The maximum jail time for offenders was recently doubled to 180 days, and the province started suspending driver's licences for non-payment. Since then, the Office says, deadbeats have started paying up in larger numbers.

Meilleur said the Family Responsibility Office has collected $563.4 million in outstanding support since January 2004 after issuing 16,000 notices of intention to suspend driver's licences.

In order to recover money from parents refusing to pay child support, the FRO has the authority to garnish bank accounts, seize lottery winnings, suspend driver's licences and use private collection agencies.

I was as single parent for 6 *uckin yrs and received no child support :angry: !! Maybe I'll send them a mugshot of the "deadbeat" ...... LOL B) !!
I dunno, I see this one and I can see one hellacious lawsuit if they put someone's "mugshot" on the website and they're incorrect about teh person actually owing any arrears :rolleyes:

I can imagine the headlines now:

"Alleged deadbeat dad loses job due to inaccurate government website, sues for lost earnings"

NefCanuck
dlb,Jan 26 2007, 11:35 AM Wrote:I was as single parent for 6 *uckin yrs and received no child support  :angry: !!  Maybe I'll send them a mugshot of the "deadbeat" ...... LOL  B) !!
[right][snapback]224703[/snapback][/right]

Something I get 2 deal with in 2 weeks....being a single mom....I know alot about "deadbeat" parents...
char,Jan 27 2007, 08:57 PM Wrote:
dlb,Jan 26 2007, 11:35 AM Wrote:I was as single parent for 6 *uckin yrs and received no child support   :angry: !!  Maybe I'll send them a mugshot of the "deadbeat" ...... LOL   B) !!
[right][snapback]224703[/snapback][/right]

Something I get 2 deal with in 2 weeks....being a single mom....I know alot about "deadbeat" parents...
[right][snapback]224830[/snapback][/right]

*evil Laugh* heheh.... :lol:
shut up...i met him cuz of u...lol
NefCanuck,Jan 26 2007, 05:39 PM Wrote:I dunno, I see this one and I can see one hellacious lawsuit if they put someone's "mugshot" on the website and they're incorrect about teh person actually owing any arrears :rolleyes:

I can imagine the headlines now:

"Alleged deadbeat dad loses job due to inaccurate government website, sues for lost earnings"

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]224726[/snapback][/right]

They said they will notify the dead beat parents before they decide to post their mugshots online.. btw, how are they gonna get their mugshots? ontario drivers licence photo database?
paolo,Jan 28 2007, 08:39 PM Wrote:They said they will notify the dead beat parents before they decide to post their mugshots online..  btw, how are they gonna get their mugshots? ontario drivers licence photo database?
[right][snapback]224926[/snapback][/right]

The FRO (Family Responsibility Office) is so messed up right now that we regularly get calls from paying parents freaking out because the FRO says they owe the ex spouse support arrears <_<

I can just imagine how well those twits will run this new program.

Yeah, they'll use the DL database, that's actually a good use of the digitized photo data they have (aside from processing address changes without the driver having to pose for new photos)

NefCanuck