FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Loud Noises
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So now if my car goes into high revs, if i am accellerating fast or driving fast on the highway, anywhere above 3800 rpm the engine gets really loud but not much happens. In other words the engine sounds like it is working very hard with no output in power.

what could this be?

it almost sounds like rattling or a vibrating growling noise.

the car drives normal untill the upper rpm where i notice a loss in power and an increase in noise

any suggestions
Timing? Heatshields coming loose? Misfires? Water in the gas?

It could be a lot of things... try seeing if it does it at a standstill in neutral.
exhaust leak?
Is there any "pinging"? It sounds like it could be heavy detonation from, perhaps, bad gas, advanced ignition timing, etc...
If theres something rattling at the high RPM engine may detect false knock and retard timming. Hence the lack of power.
so how do i go about fixing the timing? and how much am i looking at?
brucktown,Jan 25 2007, 12:40 PM Wrote:so how do i go about fixing the timing? and how much am i looking at?
[right][snapback]224526[/snapback][/right]

Id try some 91/94 oct 1st to see if that helps. If its leaning out and deto is happening, the 91/94 should help on a stock car.
fuel filter? i know its simple, but i dunno how much of the loud noise it would cause. it would explain lack of power though

edit:
when was the last time you changed it?
ZX5focused,Jan 25 2007, 05:12 PM Wrote:fuel filter? i know its simple, but i dunno how much of the loud noise it would cause. it would explain lack of power though

edit:
[right][snapback]224531[/snapback][/right]

i have never changed it! i have 84k on the car. I am gonna get that done tomorrow, i set up an appointment to get the diagnostics checked
brucktown,Jan 25 2007, 01:18 PM Wrote:
ZX5focused,Jan 25 2007, 05:12 PM Wrote:fuel filter? i know its simple, but i dunno how much of the loud noise it would cause. it would explain lack of power though

edit:
[right][snapback]224531[/snapback][/right]

i have never changed it! i have 84k on the car. I am gonna get that done tomorrow, i set up an appointment to get the diagnostics checked
[right][snapback]224544[/snapback][/right]

honestly, try the fuel filter before anything. the recomended change interval is 20,000km.
plus isnt it the fuel filter on the older zetecs that is defective and is a recall? or is that the pump
That's the pump, it's not actually a recall just a tsb so they don't advertise that there's actually a problem with the pump. I believe that the tsb was only for 2000 and 01 zetec.

One question I haven't seen asked yet, auto or manual tranny? I had a problem with my shift linkage in my auto tbird and it did the exact same thing as you're describing. It would shift properly and wouldn't downshift and if I punched it, the motor would try to rev out but get held back by the trans and make a helluva noise, scared the s*** out of me the first time it happened. On the tbird it was a pretty quick and inexpensive fix, had to replace the downshift cable, iirc, it cost around the $120 range.
it's manual and sorry i am a bit slow tsb?
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

Kind of like a recall but not really...
There actually WAS a recall on the pumps.
oh yeah i forgot i did have the recall pump fixed a few years ago

so it's probally not that
The service manager at the dealer here in Abbotsford told me it was a tsb. They are kinda retarded though. I'm still arguing with them to replace mine again, they told me to stop using chevron and switch to petro canada fuel because of chevrons sulphur rating and everything would be fine, umm yeah, did that, still has the same f'n problem and now they tell me that petro can has a high sulphur rating as well. The service writer didn't like my sarcasm too much when I asked if I should just run my car on water since there was very little chance of sulphur being a problem there. I'm still waiting a week later to find out if they're going to honor the RECALL on the pump for the 3rd time.
Have you checked your VIN against the Ford.ca website? That'll tell you how many recalls are still outstanding against your car.

http://ford.ca/english/Maintaining/Recalls/Default.asp
Flofocus,Jan 25 2007, 05:07 PM Wrote:
brucktown,Jan 25 2007, 12:40 PM Wrote:so how do i go about fixing the timing? and how much am i looking at?
[right][snapback]224526[/snapback][/right]

Id try some 91/94 oct 1st to see if that helps. If its leaning out and deto is happening, the 91/94 should help on a stock car.
[right][snapback]224529[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, if the high-octane makes it better, it's likely to be running lean or has advanced ignition timing. Then, you'd have to take it in to find the problem. Just a though: have you run injector cleaner through it recently?