FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Half-shaft Bearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It feels like I've got another bearing going up front. Not too bad, since it's lasted 165K.

But I'm curious whether the vibration/noise could be from the right-side half-shaft bearing. Anybody know how long these things last?

Thanks.
DadsToy,Jan 24 2007, 10:35 AM Wrote:It feels like I've got another bearing going up front.  Not too bad, since it's lasted 165K.

But I'm curious whether the vibration/noise could be from the right-side half-shaft bearing.  Anybody know how long these things last?

Thanks.
[right][snapback]224362[/snapback][/right]

I'm having one of my front wheel bearing replace right now... it lasted 175,000km , the other side should go bad pretty soon. Normal wear , I have no complains.
mpcv2000,Jan 24 2007, 01:18 PM Wrote:
DadsToy,Jan 24 2007, 10:35 AM Wrote:It feels like I've got another bearing going up front.  Not too bad, since it's lasted 165K.

But I'm curious whether the vibration/noise could be from the right-side half-shaft bearing.  Anybody know how long these things last?

Thanks.
[right][snapback]224362[/snapback][/right]

I'm having one of my front wheel bearing replace right now... it lasted 175,000km , the other side should go bad pretty soon. Normal wear , I have no complains.
[right][snapback]224418[/snapback][/right]

Wouldn't it make more sense to replace both bearings since one has died, the car has a lot of KM at this point and so is likely to have a failure on teh other side soon anyways? :huh:

Seems like you may save money now but it'll just be more aggravating if the other side croaks a month later and you're back at the shop :iono:

NefCanuck
This is no big deal , bearing doesn't go bad in one day , it start making noise first , I hear mine for over 2 weeks now and I drive 500KM a week , it gives me time to save some money to get it fixed , for sure it's a good idea to have both done at once but my wallet doesn't agree... :P
NefCanuck,Jan 24 2007, 03:02 PM Wrote:Seems like you may save money now but it'll just be more aggravating if the other side croaks a month later and you're back at the shop :iono:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]224420[/snapback][/right]

I always do the work myself but right now my 2nd Focus is in pieces in my tiny garage so I have to send the beater ( 00 ZX3 ) to get fix at the shop , thing that I never do..

This is what the 03 looks like right now.. :P

[Image: 137821.jpg]
NefCanuck,Jan 24 2007, 07:02 PM Wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to replace both bearings since one has died, the car has a lot of KM at this point and so is likely to have a failure on teh other side soon anyways? :huh:

Seems like you may save money now but it'll just be more aggravating if the other side croaks a month later and you're back at the shop :iono:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]224420[/snapback][/right]

I did the other side about 25k ago. Not too tough in the laneway. Kept the old bearing for drifting in the new ones.
You should keep driving on the busted bearing...........get ready to buy a new hub!