FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Jeep Commander May Be Short-lived
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jeep Commander May Be Short-Lived
The Daily Auto Insider
Monday, January 22, 2007
January 2007

The Jeep Commander is likely to be discontinued after the 2009 model-year, The Detroit News reported, citing auto analysts and other industry observers.

The boxy three-row SUV, which is built at Chrysler's Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit, was introduced a little over a year ago. The sticker price for the Commander starts around $28,000 and can climb above $40,000.

"We removed the Commander from our forecast" after the 2009 model year, said Jeff Schuster, forecasting analyst with California-based J.D. Power and Associates, the story said. Other sources confirming the forecast were also cited in the story.

A spokesman for DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group said that the automaker does not discuss future product plans.

Although Jeep sold 88,497 Commanders in 2006 — with the help of heavy discounts — it also appeared to steal sales from the Grand Cherokee, which is also built at Jefferson Street and was once one of America's most popular vehicles. Jeep sold 139,148 Grand Cherokee's last year, down 75,000 units from 2005.

As a result of these slow sales, the Jefferson North plant has been idled on and off again over the last four months.
Good, I dont like that POS anyways.
Well lets look at it this way. This was suppose to be the Commander according to the 1999 Auto Shows,
[Image: Concept-1999-Jeep-Commander.jpg]

And this is what it actualy came out as!
[Image: jeep-commander-3big.jpg]

Commander deserved to DIE :)
Funny, I didn't mind the look of the Commander...it's like a poor-man's g-wagon or land rover...sort of

It looks beefy, moreso than some of D/C's offerings...
"Jeep Commander - when you really need to drag your ass around like your neighbour's geriatric, smelly dog" :rofl:
Drivesthebeast,Jan 22 2007, 04:05 PM Wrote:Funny, I didn't mind the look of the Commander...it's like a poor-man's g-wagon or land rover...sort of

It looks beefy, moreso than some of D/C's offerings...
[right][snapback]224211[/snapback][/right]

I liked it too! That's a shame they are getting rid of it.
i prefer the Grand Cherokee, i think the commander looks like a piece of s***
The Commander was too darn big and too plain looking for the price they wanted for it. It really did nothing that other offerings in the D/C lineup couldn't do nearly as well for much less cost IMO

It's the same with the Pacifica, but that porker survives :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
What a waste of time any money.....now if they would only ditch that gawd awful Jeep Compass too. I think somebody set the sales goals for the Jeep brand a little too high this year.
lol honestly they should kill the Chrysler Aspen too because Chrysler brought these SUV's out way to late and not to mention stupidly when the gas prices hit over the $1.00 ltr mark, when they should have introduced a smaller car.