FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Four U.s. States Now Have Driver Cell Phone Laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Four U.S. states now have driver cell phone laws
January 22, 2007

Arlington, Virginia - Recent legislation signed into law now makes California the fifth U.S. jurisdiction to ban hand-held cell phone use while driving, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The California law goes into effect in July 2008, and will include a minimum fine of US$20 for a first violation and US$50 for subsequent violations.

Connecticut, the District of Columbia, New York and New Jersey also have similar bans on hand-held phones.

North Carolina, Rhode Island and West Virginia have bans on all cell phones, not just hand-held, but the laws do not apply to all drivers; West Virginia's applies to drivers with intermediate licenses and learner's permits, while Rhode Island and North Carolina prohibit drivers younger than 18 from using any kind of cell phone. Eleven other jurisdictions previously enacted cell phone laws that target young drivers.

According to IIHS research, both hand-held and hands-free phones influence driving and increase the risk of a crash; young motorists are more likely to talk on cell phones while driving than older people.

Good For Them!! I wonder if this ban also includes the use of a blue tooth wireless headset?
paolo,Jan 22 2007, 07:48 PM Wrote:Good For Them!!  I wonder if this ban also includes the use of a blue tooth wireless headset?
[right][snapback]224202[/snapback][/right]

Thats excellent. The number of times I've almost been hit from people on cell phones...... its pathetic. I hope it includes all forms of communication wether the phone is stuck to their head or a hands free system. Supposively, we have those laws in NB, but I've never heard of it being enforced.
Well, technically all Canadian provinces have laws that could make talking on a cellphone a ticketable offence. A friend of mine, who in my opinion, shouldn't have a license in the first place (I won't even drive in a parking with him), got a ticket a few weeks ago for driving with undue care and attention. He was talknig on his phone and was all over the road, I was 3 cars behind him and a cop passed me in the other lane and when he was passing my buddy, Chris crossed over the centre line and almost hit the cop. Bang, lights went on and Chris pulled over. The best thing to come of this happening is that this was the 2nd time for this charge for him plus he's had about 15 tickets last year, with 3 so far in January now so I think he's going to lose his license.