FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Disable Shift Light
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How can you disable the shift light in the focus.

Its driving me nuts, the light is wrong half the time.
for example it wants me in second gear doing about 5k

any one know how to disable.
Mason,Jan 21 2007, 02:59 PM Wrote:How can you disable the shift light in the focus.

[right][snapback]224077[/snapback][/right]

2nd, 5k? huh?

Its there for gas mileage, if you shift when it lights up, you get beter mileage. I use it all the time and I get really good mileage.

I could be going 60km/hr and in 5th gear when following the shift light.
The light is wrong. I dont overly care about milage its annoying.
and ya, its wants me to shift into second as soon as I go over 5Kmh
Mason,Jan 21 2007, 03:27 PM Wrote:The light is wrong. I dont overly care about milage its annoying.
and ya, its wants me to shift into second as soon as I go over 5Kmh
[right][snapback]224085[/snapback][/right]

Its NOT wrong. that would be the shifting point for best fuel efficiency. :rolleyes:

The only way that I know to turn it off is with a chip or ECU flash.
Remove the bulb?

I'm guessing this is a feature on all manual transmission Foci?
Its a manual shift future, Just open the cluster and take the bulb out. its easy and shouldnt take more then 30Min.
i don't think it should light up at 5k to shift into 2nd......i believe it should be somewhere around 3500rpm
i believe it lights up twice, once for fuel effiency, second for peek performance

I could be wrong tho
To be honest i don't even notice it anymore unless i'm looking for it on the dash.
Stick a piece of black electrical tape over the arrow.
NikiterZTS,Jan 21 2007, 05:15 PM Wrote:i don't think it should light up at 5k to shift into 2nd......i believe it should be somewhere around 3500rpm
[right][snapback]224119[/snapback][/right]
It's not a "shift light", it's an "upshift light". It has to do with engine efficiency, which is a combination of RPM, engine load and throttle position. Its purpose is solely for fuel economy.

The engine monitors RPM and engine load and when it determines that the next highest gear would produce the same output at a greater efficiency, the light comes on. The light will come on at 35k if you were driving in 1st at 10kmh or 45k in 3rd at 70kmh. If you floor it, it will go away until the efficiency drops off again. It's not a consistant RPM.

The only way to disable the light, black tape, pull the bulb or a reflash. And yes, after a while you'll learn to ignore it.
OAC_Sparky,Jan 22 2007, 10:21 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Jan 21 2007, 05:15 PM Wrote:i don't think it should light up at 5k to shift into 2nd......i believe it should be somewhere around 3500rpm
[right][snapback]224119[/snapback][/right]
It's not a "shift light", it's an "upshift light". It has to do with engine efficiency, which is a combination of RPM, engine load and throttle position. Its purpose is solely for fuel economy.

The engine monitors RPM and engine load and when it determines that the next highest gear would produce the same output at a greater efficiency, the light comes on. The light will come on at 35k if you were driving in 1st at 10kmh or 45k in 3rd at 70kmh. If you floor it, it will go away until the efficiency drops off again. It's not a consistant RPM.

The only way to disable the light, black tape, pull the bulb or a reflash. And yes, after a while you'll learn to ignore it.
[right][snapback]224172[/snapback][/right]

No way ill ignore it. Im putting a remote starter/alarm kit in. Ill have them ford turn it off when they do that.
Buy an SVT. No shift light. But I would just come to ignore it or as stated tape or remove the bulb.

David
Flofocus,Jan 21 2007, 07:07 PM Wrote:
Mason,Jan 21 2007, 02:59 PM Wrote:How can you disable the shift light in the focus.

[right][snapback]224077[/snapback][/right]

2nd, 5k? huh?

Its there for gas mileage, if you shift when it lights up, you get beter mileage. I use it all the time and I get really good mileage.

[right][snapback]224079[/snapback][/right]

Yeah its weird eh? 60km in 5th? Was a trip for me when I followed the shift light.
Mason,Jan 22 2007, 01:16 PM Wrote:No way ill ignore it. Im putting a remote starter/alarm kit in. Ill have them ford turn it off when they do that.
[right][snapback]224186[/snapback][/right]
I'm surprised the dealership will put a remote start into a manual.
Pull the gauge cluster, theres a light bulb behind the shift light....remove it. Problem solved.
I hope your not one of them that complains about MPG's when you dont even follow the light. :P
Flofocus,Jan 21 2007, 02:07 PM Wrote:Its there for gas mileage, if you shift when it lights up, you get beter mileage.  I use it all the time and I get really good mileage.

[right][snapback]224079[/snapback][/right]

Now I understand how you can get 500km per tank even when boosted.

I am always tempted to get into boost which is normally way beyond the upshift light indicates. I have never gotten 500km on one tank. :lol:
Just for the record, the SVT doesn't have this light. Or at least when I switched to the SVT gauge cluster the light is no longer there.
Pages: 1 2