FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No, It's not me. At least I don't think so. Lately, with the heater on, I'm getting some weird smells in the interior. Sometimes like a vacuum hose is off, like a diesel, sometimes a sulphur smell and sometimes like burning rubber. All inside the car.
So far, everything still works

Did your car come with the cabin air filter? if yes, change it. If no, add one.
Focus man, Focus.,Jan 18 2007, 12:12 AM Wrote:Did your car come with the cabin air filter?  if yes, change it.  If no, add one.
[right][snapback]223712[/snapback][/right]
I installed one in August. I guess it's time to do it again.
Definately change the cabin air filter....it worked for me last summer...you would be suprised with how much crap gets caught in a filter which is hidden as well as that
Too bad K&N doesn't make a cabin air filter. One of the reasons I bought a K&N filter was because you don't have to change them evey time you change the oil.
oldeguy,Jan 18 2007, 04:21 AM Wrote:Too bad K&N doesn't make a cabin air filter. One of the reasons I bought a K&N filter was because you don't have to change them evey time you change the oil.
[right][snapback]223716[/snapback][/right]

where is the cabin air filter?
SmokeBCBuDZ,Jan 18 2007, 02:06 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Jan 18 2007, 04:21 AM Wrote:Too bad K&N doesn't make a cabin air filter. One of the reasons I bought a K&N filter was because you don't have to change them evey time you change the oil.

[right][snapback]223727[/snapback][/right]

Ya thats a good question....I didn't know their was such a thing....So where is it located..?
Some things to check for under the hood:

Valve cover gasket leak may cause oil to drip onto header giving off a burnt oil/sulpher smell (easy fix, gasket is about $40 and less than 1 hour labour.) valve cover gasket replacement how-to

Thermostat housing crack may cause coolant to leak onto hot engine block giving off a burnt sweet smell. Here is a link on how to replace it: thermostat housing replacement how-to

If it is not coming from your car I have noticed that when it is really cold, (especially since we have not had any until recently in southern Ontario,) my smell sensory is heightened and I can detect a diesel vehicle within 5 car lengths of my car.
dont change the filter. it wont make any diff, if your getting a smell then you getting a smell.
the filter does not fix that.

I wouldnt worry about it to tell you the truth. Once in a while I get a smell from the heat.
Both my foco have done it and never cause me any problem.
Only seems to do it when its been on a while and as quick as you smell it its gone.
Good post Dblast.

I'm with you.

It's good chance there may be something wrong with your emissions set up. Is your header stock?

Maybe the gaskets on your header are toast???

I'll admit, my car on occation likes to stink me out too.
ANTHONYD,Jan 18 2007, 09:42 AM Wrote:Good post Dblast.

I'm with you.

It's good chance there may be something wrong with your emissions set up. Is your header stock?

Maybe the gaskets on your header are toast???

I'll admit, my car on occation likes to stink me out too.
[right][snapback]223760[/snapback][/right]
everything but my attitude is stock. I read somewhere that the heater has a tendency to break, not the core, but the electrical parts.
PIGEON1,Jan 18 2007, 02:28 AM Wrote:
SmokeBCBuDZ,Jan 18 2007, 02:06 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]223727[/snapback][/right]

Ya thats a good question....I didn't know their was such a thing....So where is it located..?
[right][snapback]223728[/snapback][/right]
Cabin Air filter is located behind the firewall. Focus hacks has a how to on replacement
Sure it's not AC condenser mold? A little shot of the deodorant (from CDN Tire, Partsource, Walmart) will clean that right up.

Ryan
look for oil leaking around the bolts at the front of the engine above the header... its quite easy to spot.