FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What I Like About Older Cars..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When something goes wrong, google it! :P :lol:

The vents stopped working on the bmw....well I only had Speed 4. Looked it up and had 3 hits on the same thing. resistor baord that is accesible through the engine bay. Nice! easy fix.

Now for the kind of service you get...

I called the BMW dealership on St Laurent, $46 for the part

Called another one that is a 40 minute drive for me.

$26

:blink:

Guess I know where to go if I ever want to buy a newer bmw :lol:

I ordered a bunch of parts off of bavauto.com. Great site with EVERYTHING for bmws. I got dinged by the guy in the brown truck though. :angry:

I wrote them an email about us canadians and how we dont like the man in the brown truck....i got a response pretty quickly from them. Now I dont know about his comments about usps....Ive NEVER had a problem, theyre just slow.

Quote:We are well aware that UPS shipping rates to Canada are very high. We had shipped by USPS in the past, and had several issues with items getting damaged or lost, and the claims procedure with them was less than pleasant for all parties involved. However, we have recently been meeting with USPS representatives, and hope to be offering USPS as a service to Canada from our online store in the future. Shipping costs themselves are actually higher, but there are no brokerage or duties to be paid upon delivery. We will be limited on large on heavy items, as USPS will only accept things up to a certain size and weight, but for most orders it will be a great option for our Canadian customers. You can order from our sales agents by phone now and request USPS for shipping. But our agents do not have an automated rate chart yet for USPS, and will often need to put you on hold or call you back with the shipping cost. Once we have it automated, it will be available on the online store as well.

Wished more american companies were like this...

Anyways...if you guys need bmw parts or know anybody that is getting ripped a new one...check the site out.
Get stuff shipped to the ups store in Ogdensburg and go pick it up, it's only 15 seconds from the border. They accept shipments from anybody, it only costs $6 for bridge tolls and $5 usd for each pkg at the store. My buddy had a door shipped to the ups store by Fedex with no problems.

You save huge on the shipping costs plus no brokerage fees. At the border you bring in your receipt, pay the PST/GST and you're on your way
still to much of a pita. rather have it shipped directly to my door with minimal costs.
"What I like about older cars"

Reminiscing about how well they ran while forgetting about the exorbitant repair bills required to keep them running that way.
well one thing for sure about an older car vrs a newer car is Cheaper to Insure.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 17 2007, 10:37 AM Wrote:"What I like about older cars"

Reminiscing about how well they ran while forgetting about the exorbitant repair bills required to keep them running that way.
[right][snapback]223606[/snapback][/right]

lol...dood I havent paid a mechanic a huge bill in a long time man. I paid $26 for a new part, took 45 minutes to replace and the fan system runs even better than it did before. The car runs GREAT. the accord had some troubles starting this morning (-25) but the bmw started up without any hesitation. Not bad for 20 years old and with over 200k. this isnt your typical Ford. :P

But yeah, if your clueless when it comes to working on cars, keep buying your new and warrantied ones.
Flofocus,Jan 17 2007, 09:47 AM Wrote:But yeah, if your clueless when it comes to working on cars, keep buying your new and warrantied ones.
[right][snapback]223612[/snapback][/right]

Do I have the tools? Most. Do I have the aptitude? Mostly. My Dad was a mechanic for a number of years before anything else.and I learned a lot from him.. I generally don't do major stuff due to a lack of patience. I still do all my own minor mods, but full exhausts requiring welds, suspensions and alignments... shops are welcome to do all that.

Do I have the workspace? Hell no. No garage, north-facing driveway that faces a large escarpment (in the distance), so I get the gusts and drifts from the north all the time.

My options? Freeze my nuts clear off or just get the work done. I used to opt for the former but now I'll gladly take the latter.

Not all of us derive joy from bleeding knuckles, brushes with frostbite and sliced fingers / whatever. ;) I've been there on all accounts at some point in the last 10 years.
well I knew I was a serious car modder, so having at least a SINGLE garage was ontop of the priority list for house shopping. Your pretty hardkore when your picking your house because of your addiction to modding cars. :lol:
Flofocus,Jan 17 2007, 10:21 AM Wrote:well I knew I was a serious car modder, so having at least a SINGLE garage was ontop of the priority list for house shopping.  Your pretty hardkore when your picking your house because of your addiction to modding cars.  :lol:
[right][snapback]223616[/snapback][/right]
It is truly one of the main reasons we are moving.
meford4u,Jan 17 2007, 01:18 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jan 17 2007, 10:21 AM Wrote:well I knew I was a serious car modder, so having at least a SINGLE garage was ontop of the priority list for house shopping.  Your pretty hardkore when your picking your house because of your addiction to modding cars.  :lol:
[right][snapback]223616[/snapback][/right]
It is truly one of the main reasons we are moving.
[right][snapback]223632[/snapback][/right]

I cant wait to start shopping for the next one....double garage...12 ft cealings SO I can fit a hoist. :wub: