FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anybody Try Windows Vista Yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody have Windows Vista running? I'm hearing mixed reviews. Most of them having to do with drivers and such not being supported yet. What have your experiences been with it?
It looks somewhat pretty. But other than some eye candy, I don't see a reason to upgrade.

I won't touch it until the rest of the population has been the guinea pigs to get bugs out.

I'm running windows vista on my home PC, it makes the user experience real enjoyable. Some new features in it that are pretty cool, but mainly it is the GUI bling bling that you notice.

If your buying a new pc, sure its a good reason to hold off and get one that is bundled with vista. I don't think i'd go out and drop 400 bucks or whatever it costs on this new operating system if I had to pay for it.

On a site note theres no working version of NERO available for Vista yet, and allot of games dont' have updates for them to work with vista..
I ran vista for a bit.. it gave me mac OS-X flashbacks. the user interface is fluffier than ever.. my mom loves it, but I got tired of searching for the usual non-'i-slifestyle' options. -- something that becomes blaringly obvious the first time you try to do an admin task.

while it's pretty and all, it's very much like moving to windows xp from 95.. not everything will work, and if you have a lot of older software, you may want to hold off on getting it.

I tend to wait till at least service pack 1 comes out. Microsoft is still patching holes in it's lastest sieve.
It was included free when I bought my laptop just after Christmas but I haven't sent for it yet. Want to wait until some of the bugs are worked out. My sister tried it on hers and it just kept jamming up so she went back to xp. I think I'll stick with xp for now.
focusracer,Jan 11 2007, 02:07 PM Wrote:It was included free when I bought my laptop just after Christmas but I haven't sent for it yet. Want to wait until some of the bugs are worked out. My sister tried it on hers and it just kept jamming up so she went back to xp. I think I'll stick with xp for now.
[right][snapback]222990[/snapback][/right]

Careful, those "upgrade" coupons are usually time limited things. You may have to send away for it and hold onto the disk while the population betas and finds the bugs out for you ;)

Because I have a video card that could barely do Vista, NVM the Areo graphics package. I'm holding off until I upgrade my PC (and my PC is so old now at 3.5 years that I need a whole new set of innards as my MB doesn't even do PCI-E) <_<

NefCanuck
^^^ Yeah, I should've added that I was going to do that. I'm just not sure if I really want to bother, I'm used to xp, it works good for the most part etc.
Like most i'm gonna just stick with XP until i get either a) a new computer that comes with it, but mines is 3.5 yrs old and still going strong so that won't happen anytime soon or B) the software i want/need becomes only available on vista and i have to swich because of that.

Until either of those happens i'll stick with XP. Some of the new media copy protection stuff they're incorporating into vista isn't very appealing to me.
I won't be adopting it at home soon... if at all. As for work, we're not ordering a Vista box until at least June unless we get more time for VMWare testing / standalone workstation testing.
ran it from july to september (not me but the previous technician installed it)
decided that it wasn't for me
re-imaged my pc and put windows xp professional RSO image back on.
computer works much better and is faster.
power users are probably gonna hate vista at first. Like when win95 first came out... I would rather open a command prompt and type "copy' than drag and drop.

But as most apple users already know, it's a greener pasture where your software does what you want it to without all the menu browsing...
I still use it on my HTPC. Love it, except the MPEG2 codec (really important for an HTPC) expired at the end of the year, instead of the end of the beta period. This has caused me to get really mad. However I can still record TV and watch it on another machine.