FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Whines Like Its Boosted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everybody,

Ok well I started up my focus today and she started to whine like the car had a supercharger, problem is I don't have one. I'm guessing by the sound it's something to do with the belt. I thought it might be the alternator but I have no problem keeping a charge.

Any ideas on what this could be?

If you guys need a sound clip I can put one on tomorrow.

Thanks
does it go away when the car warms up?

if not it could be a pulley or something
I think it went away once the car warmed up, mabye just a little faint.
Get the Auto belt Tensioner and the pully checked.
It could also be a sign that your alternator's on the way out the door.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 9 2007, 11:14 PM Wrote:It could also be a sign that your alternator's on the way out the door.
[right][snapback]222780[/snapback][/right]

Yup. Play it safe. Get the pully system checked.
Get a supercharger and you can hear it all the time. Problem solved. :lol:

Could be the tensioner or the alt. I would agree with the above comments and tell you to have it checked.
go put some dielectric grease on it
thanks for the replies, the car is still under warranty so i'll have her checked out.

Thanks again
crazikev,Jan 9 2007, 11:44 PM Wrote:go put some dielectric grease on it
[right][snapback]222786[/snapback][/right]

what do u think thats gonna do?
Alternator.

My car is doing the EXACT same thing.
if its whining - its not the alternator - i just got a new alternator and it does it still

aim towards the tensioner - mind you i replaced that 1 month ago - its the belt i would steer towards because i put on a gator belt from good year and it does it a little louder now then it did before

MIND YOU - I LIKE THE SOUND :D :blink:
focusnme,Jan 10 2007, 11:08 AM Wrote:if its whining - its not the alternator - i just got a new alternator and it does it still

aim towards the tensioner - mind you i replaced that 1 month ago - its the belt i would steer towards because i put on a gator belt from good year and it does it a little louder now then it did before

MIND YOU - I LIKE THE SOUND  :D  :blink:
[right][snapback]222825[/snapback][/right]

Gaterback is a wikked belt
focusnme,Jan 10 2007, 11:08 AM Wrote:if its whining - its not the alternator - i just got a new alternator and it does it still

MIND YOU - I LIKE THE SOUND  :D  :blink:
[right][snapback]222825[/snapback][/right]

I Disagree Craig.

My dash flickers and the more accessories I run, the dimmer the lights go. Can't see how a belt tensioner can cause a lack in charge.

However, I've been wrong before :P
ANTHONYD,Jan 10 2007, 10:56 AM Wrote:I Disagree Craig.

My dash flickers and the more accessories I run, the dimmer the lights go. Can't see how a belt tensioner can cause a lack in charge.

However, I've been wrong before :P
[right][snapback]222832[/snapback][/right]

If the belt tensioner is wonky and can't hold the belt to its designed tension wouldn't there be slippage and therefore a lack of charge being made at the alternator? :huh: Therefore the more accesories that you run, the more of a power "defict" you have with the slipping belt and voila.

NefCanuck
check the alternator and see what the out put is
look at the belt for cracks
check the tensioner could be seizing up
could be the alternator bearing,
you can even get a battery checker thingy for your cigarrette lighter from crappy tire that'll tell you if your car's voltage is up to snuff.

If it ain't, it's the alternator.
OR if your stereo has a capacitor with a voltage meter on it...if it's not staying withing a small tolerance, than you know it's not getting the power, and the rest of the car won't be either.
Your power steering fluid may be low or the pump is going out..........
D-Dub,Jan 11 2007, 12: Wrote:Your power steering fluid may be low or the pump is going out..........
[right][snapback]222959[/snapback][/right]

Oh yeah... forgot that could be it too.
Pages: 1 2