FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Apple Launches Iphone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wow...

Just wow.

Even you PC guys should find it impressive.

APPLE
I just got back from Telus, sent my phone away for repair. It looks promising, but i'll wait a few years until they get all the bugs worked out. Alot about it's functionality looks great, and the fact it runs an Apple OS should make it obvious that it will be better than the Palm counterparts.

I doubt it'll be anytime soon before it hits the CDN market.
and apple begins its world takeover!!!
Should be here by spring.

It's being used with sprint I think in the states right now.
ANTHONYD,Jan 9 2007, 03:14 PM Wrote:Should be here by spring.

It's being used with sprint I think in the states right now.
[right][snapback]222710[/snapback][/right]

the demos show cingular, rogers will probly be the only one to pick it up here, i cant see apple not bringing it here to canada.
It will be here.

I'm guessing all the other cell companies are shaking in their boots right about now.
Bye Bye Blackberry.
ANTHONYD,Jan 9 2007, 04:35 PM Wrote:It will be here.

I'm guessing all the other cell companies are shaking in their boots right about now.
Bye Bye Blackberry.
[right][snapback]222717[/snapback][/right]

I doubt that very much Anthony, because right now at RIM, more over 2 line over from me they have part of my plant fenced off from employees and only people that have clearance from that line can enter there, so I know RIM is making something right now that is very hush hush.
Frost__2001,Jan 9 2007, 04:40 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Jan 9 2007, 04:35 PM Wrote:It will be here.

Bye Bye Blackberry.
[right][snapback]222717[/snapback][/right]

I doubt that very much Anthony, because right now at RIM, more over 2 line over from me they have part of my plant fenced off from employees and only people that have clearance from that line can enter there, so I know RIM is making something right now that is very hush hush.
[right][snapback]222720[/snapback][/right]

It's because of things like the i phone, these companies are forced into innovation.

Apple has this stuff locked.

Great Company!
I figured this was coming. I posted a while back on a computer forum about noticing that the iphone.org domain name points to apple.com.

basically if you type iphone.org/iphone in your browser it takes you to the apple iphone page.

none the less, looks like a nice phone, cingular has a multi year partership with apple in the states, although its unnoficial, we may see rogers pick it up for canada... I hope there will be a generic unbranded version available.
Interesting concept, and interesting features/design. I won't buy one though, as I'm not into anything made by Apple Inc.

I'm more interested in cell phones that don't suck...AS CELLPHONES! There really aren't any out there that are very good with the phone portion. Seems the companies only wanna make them items that'll do everything for you (with the exception of making a vodka martini). Whoopty doo.

Also, it'll be another "trendy/fad-like" thing everyone "has to have". Just like the iPod, and the Chrysler 300C, or a Civic SI...

Baaaaaahhhhaaaa! Baaaaahhhhaaaa! :P
Meh.

This is where my cellphone troglodyte-isms come out.

I have many more uses for my digital picture frame than I do for a cellphone.
Drivesthebeast,Jan 9 2007, 09:01 PM Wrote:Interesting concept, and interesting features/design.  I won't buy one though, as I'm not into anything made by Apple Inc.

I'm more interested in cell phones that don't suck...AS CELLPHONES!  There really aren't any out there that are very good with the phone portion.  Seems the companies only wanna make them items that'll do everything for you (with the exception of making a vodka martini).  Whoopty doo.

Also, it'll be another "trendy/fad-like" thing everyone "has to have".  Just like the iPod, and the Chrysler 300C, or a Civic SI...

Baaaaaahhhhaaaa! Baaaaahhhhaaaa!  :P
[right][snapback]222750[/snapback][/right]
Well, this'll be a cellphone that doesn't suck as a cellphone. The UI, from what I've seen, is tremendously improved over that of any other cellphone I've ever used.

UI is all.

And there's nothing wrong with buying trendy items, higher power(s) don't hand out points for bravely not buying trendy items.
I dunno...

I mean, I love apple for the mac OS, the iPod, hell, even the Newton... but the phone... meh

the problem is that for all the functionality they want to put into it, along with the memory and battery capacity issues, and the fact that it's touch screen only.. well, they've limited it's compactness.

Sure, there are those who enjoy walking around with their treo hanging off their hips, ready to clip the next door frame one walks by, but for me, it's too big.

same with the iPod. I opted for a sony mp3 player (despite how much I hate their proprietary soundstage software) for the mere fact that it was smaller in overall dimensions than a nano and had over 5 times the battery life.

I know the general public goes for the fashion and the features, but for a cellphone, mp3 player and point-n-shoot camera, there are 2 things I'm concerned about.

it's gotta be small
it's gotta have good battery life
it has to work.

And for everything that phone offers, it won't be able to hit on all 3.
I checked it out online... looks pretty good!
I wonder if they have any unlocked versions available that we could use in Canada?
I dunno, I've been burned on these so called "All In One" devices before so I'm a little skeptical of things like battery life claims and functionality claims.

I own a Sony PDA, the PEG-NZ90 which was for its time the creme de la creme of Palm OS powered PDA's, it's a PDA, mp3 player, built in QWERTY keyboard and 2MP camera but has horrific battery life, the proprietary sound transfer software was coded by blind rhesus monkeys and the transfer rates from the memory stick to the PDA for displaying pictures makes me look fast :ph34r:

Hell Sony dropped out of the PDA market altogether and I can't even get a replacement battery for this thing now, at least from Sony anyways :blink:

"Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind as a comment, but we shall see I suppose (Not that Telus will get this phone, this'll go to Rogers or Bell first, probably Rogers if I were to make a bet on it)

NefCanuck
Rogers always gets the cool phones before any other carrier in Canada.
ZX5chica,Jan 10 2007, 12:25 PM Wrote:I checked it out online... looks pretty good!
I wonder if they have any unlocked versions available that we could use in Canada?
[right][snapback]222840[/snapback][/right]

keep a sharp eye pointed at Tiger Direct.. they sell unlocked phones for way less than a phone out-of-contract.. I would expect them to have the iPhone when it hits the market.

and considering all the games providers play with peripherals and whatnot that are 'supposed' to come with the phone, I'm probably just going to buy unlocked next time.

and Nef.. you really want a new sony battery? ;) I have a casseopeia a10 sitting at home gathering dust if you don't mind windows CE 1.0
darkpuppet,Jan 10 2007, 01:31 PM Wrote:
ZX5chica,Jan 10 2007, 12:25 PM Wrote:I checked it out online... looks pretty good!
[right][snapback]222840[/snapback][/right]

keep a sharp eye pointed at Tiger Direct.. they sell unlocked phones for way less than a phone out-of-contract.. I would expect them to have the iPhone when it hits the market.

and considering all the games providers play with peripherals and whatnot that are 'supposed' to come with the phone, I'm probably just going to buy unlocked next time.

and Nef.. you really want a new sony battery? ;) I have a casseopeia a10 sitting at home gathering dust if you don't mind windows CE 1.0
[right][snapback]222854[/snapback][/right]

:rofl: I forgot about the Sony batteries propensity to "fall down, go boom" (and considering we had that hassle in the office with the two Dell laptops :ph34r: ) but I think I have a line on an alternate source for one (I just have to call them and make sure that they actually have the battery that their website claims they do :unsure:

If not, I guess I'll be in the market again for a PDA that can play mp3's and act as a PDA that can synch with Outlook and has built in keyboard :rolleyes: (Don't need the camera function anymore since I got the, wait for it, Sony camera :P)

Thanks for the offer but that beast doesn't have a built in keyboard does it?

NefCanuck
one of the co-workers was actually tellin me about thig phone today

any idea for the price?
NikiterZTS,Jan 10 2007, 02:27 PM Wrote:one of the co-workers was actually tellin me about thig phone today

any idea for the price?
[right][snapback]222861[/snapback][/right]

probly end up being $200-350 on a 3 year contract :unsure:
Pages: 1 2