FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Question About Stalling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys. I have a question for the bf, and his vw discussion board can't seem to come up with an answer, so I'm just feeling out if anyone might be able to answer this.

He's got a 1995 Volkswagon golf VR6, with about 150K kms on it. He's been having this problem with the revs dropping off very suddenly, and eventually stalling when he comes to a stop. It doesn't happen at every stop, but it is starting to happen more and more frequently.
He's had it in at the mechanics more times than I can count, and it's not showing any problems during diagnostics tests. He's replaced just about everything, trying to fix this problem. Recently, he replaced the vaccuum hoses (or tubes... not sure), and this time last year he replaced the o2 sensors (at the mechanics discretion).

Here's the question... has anybody had any problems like is that they were able to fix, or any suggestions? I know that vw's are known for wacky mechanical problems... but again... open to suggestions.

Thanks!
hmmm...I was going to say the vaccum lines but since theyve been replaced....

Have they looked at the brake vacum booster??
if he cant find the answer in Vortex, i'm not sure where he can find it.

Get him to sell it and buy a focus instead :)
Get a new boyfriend. Problem solved.

And the line up starts here! :lol:

But with the Focus, it is usually a problem with the vacuum hoses, O2 sensor or the exhaust downpipe sensor. did he change the exhaust and maybe put an eliminator or cheater on it?
Its a VR6, I am surprised he didn't have problems sooner. Is he taking it to VW or just a shop? Has he checked the fuel system? Stopping from speed causes the fuel pressure to be reduced and the regulator might be cutting it back to far causing it to stall. Just a thought. :unsure:
Cracked coil / bad cap? That's what caused the low idle / stall issue on the SPI.
You didn't mention auto or manual, but if it's auto, it *could* be the TQ isn't unlocking as he's slowing down causing the engine to bog and stall...

NefCanuck
Thanks for all the info. He's already looked into a few of the suggestions, but some of them were new, so hopefully those will come to some sort of conclusion.

As for where it's serviced, yeah, he's dealing only with licensed VW mechanics. That car is his baby, and he won't let anyone touch it unless they have the right background :)

I mean, this is the same guy who was in complete shock when he got "Forever Black" (which you can't find anywhere in Canada) in his stocking this year...

Anyways, thanks again for your help!! :)