FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Question About Dealers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, i'm buddy just bought a 2005 Honda Civic, from Dan Murphy Ford in Ottawa, and after the papers and stuff were signed, he found out the car was a ex-daily renter.

Is the dealership obligated to tell you something like that? or is it you ask and they tell otherwise they don't mention it to you?

My buddy found out and wants out of the deal, but he has to forfiet the deposit he made on the car, because they feel they didn't need to tell him? But i've heard its something a dealer has to tell you? am i wrong?
I dunno if they have to tell you or not but its pretty f*cked up that they didn't.
They didn't tell him, he even remembers the salesman saying something about the the car being traded in for a freestar or something. But than later finds out that it was a daily rental.

But the weird thing is he bought the carfax thing and it says it was listed as a personal vehicle, and a lease. But the dealer says its a ex-rental? Which one should be believed?
i dont beleive it is legally required. they are selling you a used vehicle. you could get a "used vehicle report" which will include this information. but most people buying from a dealer think that the car is perfectly fine.

also, i dont understand how people can walk onto a used car lot and not pick out the cars that were rentals/loaner cars. the cars are usually 6-12 months old wil km's in the 20,000-30,000 km range, close to base models or not alot of options and being sold at low prices. most small used-only car lots, live off of selling daily rentals because they get them so cheap at auction.

when my parents were shopping for a car for my sis, every used dealer we went to had at least half of their inventory as daily rentals
Are daily rental cars usually stick shifts? i don't i've ever heard of a manual transmission rental car? is it common?

Carfax says one thing about the honda and the dealer says another....
focuspilot23,Jan 3 2007, 11:40 AM Wrote:Are daily rental cars usually stick shifts? i don't i've ever heard of a manual transmission rental car? is it common?

Carfax says one thing about the honda and the dealer says another....
[right][snapback]222153[/snapback][/right]

no
no company is tupid enough to rent cars that are stick for two reasons:
1) it limits who they can rent to
2) how easy it is to f*** up a stick (though it doesnt take much on autos either)
Personally, I've never heard of a stickshift rental car. It doesnt make sense to me to have a stickshift rental car unless it was like a high class rental company that rents vipers, corvettes, ferraris etc. Not Civics. I think even the Hertz Edition Mustang GT's are autos...... so why would a rental Civic be stick? I think the dealership is pulling your buddies chain.
It's funny, when i turned in the 2001 Focus... as part of their UCDA membership rules they have to ask about the car being an ex-cop car, taxi, rental, accident rebuild and if there was ever any excessive environmental damage (floods, etc). Now, having said that... I'm not sure if they're legally compelled to reveal that to you.

I'm going off the big appraisal sheet I saw and what we discussed.
I thought a stick shift rental car was a little weird. The dealer said they bought it at an auction in quebec and the guy there said the car was a ex-daily rental.

But carfax says something different about the car. Strange!!
what does the u vip say? like who was the car registered to before
if it was a dealer for X many years it would have been a rental
as for that they dont have to tell you it was a rental car only if it was in an accident
Maybe it was an ex-rental that was used in driving school to teach standard cars :)

j/k, to be honest who cares where the car is from, as long as its in a good mechanical condition thats all it matters.
^^^^^
i agree
focuspilot23,Jan 3 2007, 11:18 AM Wrote:So, i'm buddy just bought a 2005 Honda Civic, from Dan Murphy Ford  in Ottawa, and after the papers and stuff were signed, he found out the car was a ex-daily renter.

Is the dealership obligated to tell you something like that? or is it you ask and they tell otherwise they don't mention it to you?

My buddy found out and wants out of the deal, but he has to forfiet the deposit he made on the car, because they feel they didn't need to tell him? But i've heard its something a dealer has to tell you? am i wrong?
[right][snapback]222148[/snapback][/right]

As a general rule... for those in the Ottawa area, never deal with Dan Murphy... I have heard too many horror stories of stunts that they have tried to pull on their customers...

My bro bought his mustang gt there, and had nothing but problems when it came to warranty work...

In any case, your buddy should contact Ford Canada to report this.. although the car is not a Ford, they shoule be accountable for their dealerships and the actions of their dealers. Maybe he'll be able to get his deposit $$ back if he makes a big enough stink.
Burnin21,Jan 3 2007, 12:46 PM Wrote:Personally, I've never heard of a stickshift rental car. It doesnt make sense to me to have a stickshift rental car unless it was like a high class rental company that rents vipers, corvettes, ferraris etc. Not Civics. I think even the Hertz Edition Mustang GT's are autos...... so why would a rental Civic be stick? I think the dealership is pulling your buddies chain.
[right][snapback]222155[/snapback][/right]

the funny thing is if you rented a car in europe (well, italy or denmark), you'd have a hell of a time finding a car that is an automatic....
darkpuppet,Jan 5 2007, 08:55 AM Wrote:
Burnin21,Jan 3 2007, 12:46 PM Wrote:Personally, I've never heard of a stickshift rental car. It doesnt make sense to me to have a stickshift rental car unless it was like a high class rental company that rents vipers, corvettes, ferraris etc. Not Civics. I think even the Hertz Edition Mustang GT's are autos...... so why would a rental Civic be stick? I think the dealership is pulling your buddies chain.
[right][snapback]222155[/snapback][/right]

the funny thing is if you rented a car in europe (well, italy or denmark), you'd have a hell of a time finding a car that is an automatic....
[right][snapback]222325[/snapback][/right]

Ayup, my dad rented a Euro Focus last time he was there (Switzerland), they wanted an extra $500CHF (approx $500CDN) a week extra for a slushbox :ph34r:

NefCanuck
be warned my dad works for one of the auction places in Brampton and he knows that 99% of all cars out of Quebec that are Ex-rentals are sold in Ontario super cheap because they will not meet some Quebec auto law about being branded something there that will limit the car's resale value there.
I was just talking to the sales manager here and he said that they aren't legally responsible to tell you but that on the contract they have to put that it was one , If you see it is another thing. If you want to call ford Customer Service the tele # is1-800-565-3673.. Probably if you make a big enough stink about it they will give you your deposit back. You should come and check out our lot. We are a small dealer so we are still honest. Only an hour away from you . But i hope you can get your money back and get into a Ford product. The edge is very nice.