FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ok So The House Is Freezing This Morning..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wake up earlier than usual, and go about my routine to get ready for work. The house is cold because the programmable thermostat hasn't kicked in yet to coincide with my normal wake up time. Feels colder than usual, but I was buried in the comforter all night. No problem, I can deal.

I'm puttering around, 5:30 comes and goes, which is the programmed time to give me some heat.

Furnace didn't kick on. While fiddling with the thermostat checking the battery and stuff, current temperature: 52F. No wonder it was colder than usual!

I go investigate the furnace itself, and the exhaust blower motor is making a humming sound. I poke at it with a screwdriver, and the motor won't turn freely. So its seized up.. Yay! (No lubrication points or anything on this)

I look on the thermostat again out of curiousity.. 50F. Nice, its dropping.

Needless to say:

1) I'm not happy,
2) I'm cold,
3) I'm sitting on the couch with the comforter on,
4) I have 2 cats sitting on me because they're cold as well,
5) I have to call off work to get a furnace guy over here to fix my s***, and
6) I'm extremely pissed because if I don't work the shift before and after a paid holiday, I DON'T GET PAID FOR THE HOLIDAY. So essentially, I'm losing 2 days worth of pay now. I doubt they'll take pity on me, either.
7) No heating places are open at the moment, and I'm not calling any of their "emergency" numbers and paying more.
8) Morning/daytime TV sucks, and nothing new was recorded on Tivo this weekend.

What a way to start the new year!
Ouch, that really sucks. That also reminds me to get my blower motor on the living room fireplace inspected either shortly or in the spring.

I hope it's a low-cost affair for you man.
Small update. My parents know a heating/cooling guy. Told me exactly what it was, ordered the part for me at his cost, and I picked it up and installed it. $68 for the assembly, and no tax, because he has a business account at the supplier.

Now waiting for it to "reset" because its spinning up properly, the element is heating up to ignite the gas, but its not feeding gas into the nozzle thingies.
nice

its always good to know somebody that will actually help you out and not try and bend you over!!
Mission accomplished!

Got it all reset, and the house is heating up.

Cats are currently curled up in balls in front of the vents.
did u make it into work?
Good to hear you managed to get things running again, no heat = no fun :ph34r:

Just changed the filter in my fancoil. Holy crap it was disgusting and I'm on a service contract that's supposed to change the damn thing when they come in to poke around twice a year :blink:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 2 2007, 10:32 PM Wrote:Good to hear you managed to get things running again, no heat = no fun :ph34r:

Just changed the filter in my fancoil.  Holy crap it was disgusting and I'm on a service contract that's supposed to change the damn thing when they come in to poke around twice a year :blink:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]222127[/snapback][/right]

sounds like the deal where they put dead batteries in my smoke detectors in my appartment complex.
hehe no, i never went to work. I realized it was a day after we've been closed for 1 1/2 days, and it was going to be murder. And I wasn't going to get paid because "I didn't show up on time for my required shift".. and this place doesn't care what the problem is. So, heck with it. I just go into work an hour early, do nothing at all, and make up for at least the lost day's hours.
Reminds me of the time I was working on my parents furnace and I forgot to turn the unit back on :) hehe

they froze their butts of the whole night and they didnt want to wake me up at my house :( hehe