FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Highway 407 To Raise Rates In 2007
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Highway 407 To Raise Rates In 2007
January 2, 2007.

Toronto, Ontario - 407 ETR, a privately-operated electronic toll road in the Greater Toronto Area, has announced that it will increase tolls for light vehicles by 1.35 cents per kilometre, beginning February 1, 2007.

The peak rate for light vehicles, including cars, motorcycles and SUVs, will be 17.6 cents per km; the off-peak rate, during non-rush-hour periods, will be 16.8 cents. Heavy single-unit trucks will pay 35.2 per km in peak rates and 33.6 cents in off-peak, while 18-wheel trucks will pay 52.8 cents and 50.4 cents.

The company says that it has opened 53 km of new lanes in 2006 and will add another 50 km of new lanes, between Highways 427 and 401, in 2007. It will also waive a $10 activation fee on transponders throughout 2007.

The company estimates that a typical 20-kilometre trip will increase from $3.25 to $3.52, and says that the peak hour rate has increased by less than 8 cents over the past nine years.
Frost__2001,Jan 2 2007, 10:59 AM Wrote:Highway 407 To Raise Rates In 2007
January 2, 2007.

Toronto, Ontario - 407 ETR, a privately-operated electronic toll road in the Greater Toronto Area, has announced that it will increase tolls for light vehicles by 1.35 cents per kilometre, beginning February 1, 2007.

The peak rate for light vehicles, including cars, motorcycles and SUVs, will be 17.6 cents per km; the off-peak rate, during non-rush-hour periods, will be 16.8 cents. Heavy single-unit trucks will pay 35.2 per km in peak rates and 33.6 cents in off-peak, while 18-wheel trucks will pay 52.8 cents and 50.4 cents.

The company says that it has opened 53 km of new lanes in 2006 and will add another 50 km of new lanes, between Highways 427 and 401, in 2007. It will also waive a $10 activation fee on transponders throughout 2007.

The company estimates that a typical 20-kilometre trip will increase from $3.25 to $3.52, and says that the peak hour rate has increased by less than 8 cents over the past nine years.

[right][snapback]222055[/snapback][/right]

My company owns the 407 so its good for my stock shares, but I hate the fact these f***ers keep on raising the fares every freaking year. Atleast we can see the improvements they have made with all the new added lines.
The only time i use the 407 is when i'm driving in the my work truck. Aslong as its not my money paying for the fee's i'm willing to drive on it.
I drove on the Ohio Turnpike toll road over the holidays, drove about 120KM. Total cost: $2.50 USD

The fact that we pay through the nose like we do is literally highway robbery and the people involved with selling the road to a private company should be strung up by their nutsacks. The government could have made it a toll road, made it cheaper to use and STILL would have made money hand over fist.
Nice, haven't see my latest statement but up to now I haven't see thing one about a rise in the toll rates <_<

Looks like the 407 is really giving us the old "Screwum You" routine. I thought they had to give 60 days notice of any rate increase? :huh:

Thank you Mike Harris for selling off the 407. May you come back as a squirrel and get squashed trying to cross it! :angry:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 2 2007, 09:29 PM Wrote:Thank you Mike Harris for selling off the 407.  May you come back as a squirrel and get squashed trying to cross it! :angry:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]222126[/snapback][/right]

That's the best anti-Mike sentiment I've seen in a long time :D
Jesus, I just got my latest bill from teh 407 and NADA about teh toll rates going up in February. Talk about wallet whack by stealth :ph34r:

NefCanuck
supply and demand.. if people are willing to pay the rates, then there's nothing stopping them from raising it.

god bless free market. ..

I dont care if I have to pay for it or not. It takes 45-60 mins off my trip from Pet to Brantford/Hamilton, and because of that, and the fact that I get to USUALLY avoid the parking lot that is the 401 or 403, makes it worthwhile. The 400-Burlington stretch is the Cats Azz.
The prices are terrible allready, but I'll still use it occasionally when the 401 is devistated by accidents.
You'd think if they're gonna raise the rates they could atleast plow the damn road. I drove from burlington to TO on it today and i didn't see one plow on the east bound side of it. It was a bloody mess.
Drivesthebeast,Jan 15 2007, 10:30 AM Wrote:I dont care if I have to pay for it or not.  It takes 45-60 mins off my trip from Pet to Brantford/Hamilton, and because of that, and the fact that I get to USUALLY avoid the parking lot that is the 401 or 403, makes it worthwhile.  The 400-Burlington stretch is the Cats Azz.
[right][snapback]223399[/snapback][/right]

Hell yeah, when I have to go into Brantford for work I use the 407 and completely miss that horrific strech between where the 403 joins up to the QEW and where it breaks away again to go into Hamilton.

I save 20 minutes not driving 30km/h, instead on the 407 I do about, erm, 120 :ph34r: (I am so gonna get nailed one of these days)

NefCanuck
Drivesthebeast,Jan 15 2007, 10:30 AM Wrote:I dont care if I have to pay for it or not.  It takes 45-60 mins off my trip from Pet to Brantford/Hamilton, and because of that, and the fact that I get to USUALLY avoid the parking lot that is the 401 or 403, makes it worthwhile.  The 400-Burlington stretch is the Cats Azz.
[right][snapback]223399[/snapback][/right]
Part of the reason that the 401/403 is a parking lot is because the 407 is ridicuously expensive. Which, mind you, was supposed to be the 403 in the first place. (ever wonder why the 403 is in 2 parts? That's why)

So let's see. Crown expropriates your land for Provincial highway, then turns around and sells it to a private company that rapes drivers.

That would be like the city annexing your front lawn for new sidewalks and then sells the land to a private company that turns it into a pay parking lot.

I'm not against toll roads, I'm against the gouging. Name me one highway in the US that charges what the 407 does per km. There isn't one.

NefCanuck,Jan 15 2007, 02:12 PM Wrote:I save 20 minutes not driving 30km/h, instead on the 407 I do about, erm, 120 :ph34r: (I am so gonna get nailed one of these days)
[right][snapback]223452[/snapback][/right]
You speed demon, you. :lol:
OAC_Sparky,Jan 19 2007, 04:20 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jan 15 2007, 02:12 PM Wrote:I save 20 minutes not driving 30km/h, instead on the 407 I do about, erm, 120 :ph34r: (I am so gonna get nailed one of these days)
[right][snapback]223452[/snapback][/right]
You speed demon, you. :lol:
[right][snapback]223885[/snapback][/right]

On the 407 that's the slow lane & getting honked at by the blue rinse set in their Buicks :ph34r:

Gives me an excuse to goose it occassionally and that's why I'll get nailed :D

NefCanuck
A.A.B Guy! Pure A.A.B.