FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2.0l Duratec Fuel Economy Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First trip (day after we got it), 590KMs on the odo, in a snowstorm - just over 100KMs per quarter tank indicated on the highway at 70 KM/H. Ick.

Next big run - to Toronto from North Bay (330 KMs), 1400 KMs on the odo - not quite 140KMs per quarter tank indicated. Not great, but better than before.

Back from Whitby to Caledon, then to North Bay - ~500KMs in total. Just over 3/4 tank used as indicated (from full to just under 1/4 tank). Assuming the gauge is the same as the last Focus I had (each 1/4 indicated is about 10L or so), I'll guess 34L burned based on where the gauge was. It's hardly scientific, but bear with me. That gives an overall highway economy of 6.8L per 100KMs.

This run out to Sudbury gave 130KMs with room left on the gauge and at 150 on the trip odo it's not sitting at 3/4 yet. We're at ~2450KMs on the odo.

So, the more I drive it, the better it does. There's been a startling improvement in fuel economy. I saw an interesting post on FJ (which is hardly a fountain of scientific fact, or any fact at all) saying all motors are broken in by Ford before delivery. I'd disagree with that. The dealer said mileage would be much better at 3000KMs or so, maybe a bit more. The manual says 2000-3000KMs is where you'll start getting an idea of what your true fuel economy is.

Given the fact we're in winter(ish) conditions which tend to drive up fuel consumption somewhat... I'm really happy. I'm even more impressed that we've gained so much in performance after the SPI and that we really haven't given up much fuel economy to do so.
I don't know how in god's name you are getting that amount of mileage... On mine, with the odo now reading 13000 kms, I'm still only getting 500 kms of highway (btwn 110-120 kmph) on about 42 litres of gas... that's pretty crappy.
37 mpg I get.
I'm charting mine on an Excel spreadsheet but if I do mostly highway runs, with the mods I have I can pull 7.5L/100KM on summer gas (Winter gas has additivies that drag down mileage by at least 10% on average) City mileage is brutal though, but that because the run to work is 3.5km one way, the car has hardly any time to warm up.

NefCanuck
300km/tank for me is doing good...lol
im at 320 at the most and thats not even FI
I usually hit around 400 a tank, and im not FI as well
my milege went down badly right after when i put header and flex pipe on.....i knew it was gonna go down but i wasn't expection that much

what could be wrong?
hmm I have done nothing to my car and I'm still getting just over 510 kms to a tank and it's 90% city and 10% highway, and I'm driving far less to go to work this time a year ago.
I'm not sure what you're doing to get that kind of mileage... I had a hard time breaking 100KMs per quarter tank indicated in town on the SPI.
NikiterZTS,Jan 2 2007, 02:44 AM Wrote:what could be wrong?
[right][snapback]222051[/snapback][/right]

Gas pedal is always touching the floor.

The Best ive ever got, ....was just over 600km coming back form toronto. That was driving an average of 120km/hr. Soemtimes I would hit a little boost to wake up.