FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anyone Else Had This Level Of Back Pain Before?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, 3 Saturdays ago I was coaching a house league hockey practice with my boss and our other assistant coach. We hadn't even started the practice, we were just in the corner, stretching and warming up with the kids.

We're jumping in place, and on the last jump I land it, but I pitch forward quick on a rut and caught myself with my front-facing leg... or so I thought.

Nothing felt out of place Saturday, but Sunday I was stiff. Sunday night I just vegged-out, watched TV.

I woke up Monday to a world of hurt. I figured I wrenched my back pretty good, judging by my near-complete lack of mobility and flexibility. I managed to go to work for half a day, but then I went home and just slept. Tuesday was the same - I worked half a day and then slept. Wednesday, the pain backed down some and by that Friday I was moving fairly well but I couldn't bend at the hips hardly at all. Heat really makes a difference, so I figured it was muscle and tendon fun. I missed out on a couple of ball hockey games I wanted to play in, but figured I was better off healing up.

Christmas Day was pain (but able to walk well), but then by the 27th I was feeling pretty good. I could almost touch my toes. Then I sneezed that morning. Whoops. That took me the whole day to recover from.

Fast-forward to Friday night (29th). I was feeling pretty good. I was well beyond how I felt on the 27th (before I sneezed). I figured I'd even get some light workouts in on the 30th if I was up to it. Went to bed, startled awake at 2AM by a loud noise. From then on in, I was riding the 2 o'clock trolley to trauma town. 3AM - awake, massive cramping/spasms in my left side. Rolled over, went back to bed. 4AM - spasms now in my lower back all the way across, rolled to the one side that didn't hurt. 6AM - blinding pain all over.

This was so bad I could hardly roll over. I definitely couldn't get out of bed immediately. I mean, no sitting up, no hands and knees... nothing. Sara was <> that close to calling 911. It took me an hour to get off the couch-bed at my in-laws (still here, btw). I damn near passed-out to do all the spasming and flexing my back was doing on an empty stomach. It took another two hours reclined in a lazy-boy with a hot water bottle behind my back before I could sit straight. Another 2 to that before I was mobile enough to get to the car and carry on. By end of day yesterday, I was where I was earlier in the week - bending, etc.

Last night I crashed next to Sara on a fully-reclined lazy-boy after heating my back good for the entire evening. That's the best I've slept in a week, easy. I woke up this morning to aches but no real "pain" as I've been experiencing it for the last 2 weeks.

Today - next to no pain, no resistance, most of my strength is back in my uhm... back. Some tiredness (I'm sure from the last 2 weeks) in my lower back but none of the same pains that required hot water bottle treatments, etc.

I figure I wrenched most of my major muscles in the lower back, and my obliques and everything else suffered accordingly bceause they were working to keep me upright... moreso than usual.

Am I on the right path here? I have no time for local quack clinics who'll say - "you've wrenched your back, go home and rest" and chiropractors... no way. My muscles are just coming around.

Has somethign this severe ever happened to everyone else? I really thought I was going out for the count yesterday morning when I tried standing at 7AM. Big mistake.
Why are you asking us when your last line basically says your not willing to get help?
I've been seeing a chiropractor for years, after I had a similiar incident and was laid up for 30 days putting on my socks.
Don't knock it till you try it. They do help those that have chronic back pain. And being overweight doesn't help me.
Hrm - I guess what I mean is that would a chiropractor really fix muscle tissue issues from a forced sprain / strain?

I know I was neglecting my core muscle group, but after THIS... I'll be stealing some of Sara's core workout stuff.
Most chiropractor's nowadays have a massage therapist right in their office.
If one can fix it, the other can.
Your best bet is to go see a Chiropractor and a Massage Therapist. They'll get you up and around and pain free pretty quick. I get quite a few strains and pains from the work I do, and a trip to the Chiropractor and a few good massages works well. I look at the way Chiropractors and Massage Therapists work as the way we keep our vehicles in tune. but, they keep our muscles tuned up. Notice how the old guys are the first to reply
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 31 2006, 11:26 AM Wrote:Has somethign this severe ever happened to everyone else? I really thought I was going out for the count yesterday morning when I tried standing at 7AM. Big mistake.
[right][snapback]221934[/snapback][/right]
Yes, a co-worker and I were lifting a 125 pound welding transformer out of a robot when he dropped his end. Your reflex reaction is to try to catch it. Wrong.

Reported it to my supervisor. Went home fine, woke up immobile, stayed doped up on Robaxicets until my family doctor could see me because I didn't want to wait 4 hours in emergency for something I thought wasn't an "emergency". That decision cost me 2 days pay because I didn't seek "immediate medical attention". Screw them next time, next time I'll make sure they get dinged for a comp claim the next time I get a hangnail.

Anyways, get it looked at, but really, it's a sign you're getting old.
Take it from someone whose back is wonky at the best of times. Seek medical attention when you do something to your back that lasts longer than 24 hours. Anything over 24 hours and you've basically hurt yourself to such a point that medical attention is a must unless you like being in pain for a week.

NefCanuck
Hmmm good points guys. I've been largely pain-free all day today; the only thing I have is an ache really at times - it's vastly different than everything else up until yesterday. The majority of my mobility is back without any pulling feelings at all. I can touch my toes and hoist myself back up without using my hands on my legs to straighten up - 2 days ago that was impossible.

I guess if this ever happens again I'll head off to our family physician.

Oh, and on the note of Robaxicet... NDE - no discernable effect. Heat applied was the only way to lessen the pain. Extra strength Tylenol, Ibuprofen 400mgs, Motrins... nothing.

We're also getting a new mattress at home now in short order - that one night on the couchbed scared the s*** out of me. I slept fine the night prior at home, too... but still.

Also, and as weird as this sounds... could the whole massive spasming thing be my back ironing itself out in one heavy-hitting round? I've been fine since that 2 hours of intense... fun, we'll call it.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 31 2006, 09:30 PM Wrote:Oh, and on the note of Robaxicet... NDE - no discernable effect. Heat applied was the only way to lessen the pain. Extra strength Tylenol, Ibuprofen 400mgs, Motrins... nothing.

We're also getting a new mattress at home now in short order - that one night on the couchbed scared the s*** out of me. I slept fine the night prior at home, too... but still.

Also, and as weird as this sounds... could the whole massive spasming thing be my back ironing itself out in one heavy-hitting round? I've been fine since that 2 hours of intense... fun, we'll call it.
[right][snapback]221970[/snapback][/right]

Chemical agents are really hit & miss with backpain because it is the source of the pain that determines whether the chemical agent or agents actually work.

Yeah, your mattress goes a long way to determining how well you sleep. I spent a lot of money for my mattress (A TempurPedic) but damn I sleep like a rock (I was a notorious toss & turner on a regular boxspring mattress)

It's possible, keep an eye on it though and if it flares up again follow up with your medical professional of choice...

NefCanuck
I have a lot of back trouble, very weak lower back due to breakage when I was younger. I tend to wretch my back once in a while, pulling muscles and stuff. Heat helps a lot, try robaxacet or robaxasol, they are strong muscle relaxants and anti inflammatories. Mixed with rest, that combination usually helps me get back on my feet relatively quickly. Just remember not to push it when you're taking meds like those because you are so relaxed that you won't notice wretching your back even more.
In case anyone remembers / is wondering / cares :P I managed to get in a full game of ball hockey today at lunch. It wasn't perfect by any stretch (some moves really got a pull feeling, but no extra pain), but I got a few goals and even got most of my usual 2-way running in.

Now, if only I could stay awake this afternoon!
Didnt read all the posts, but I once tore spinal ligaments and it was very similar to the pain you described (mine lasted about 9 days). Driving hurt sooo bad in my Recaros :o
I always wondered what people with back pain were always complaining about until I pulled my back slightly working out a year and a half ago (1st time in 12 years of going to the gym)... felt the tinge, stopped the exercise and immediately went to stretch put cold on it...

woke up in the fetal position the next morning
showered in the fetal position
dressed in the fetal position
worked in the fetal position

I knew the pain as a pull, but didn't really expect the difficulty in breathing and other fun stuff that comes with it... now I truly appreciate the pain people feel. And pray I never throw my back out again.

one thing tho, that I've found via other's experience, the best cure for your back problems consist of seeing your doctor, getting it aligned by a chiropractor/massage, and then doing physio to build/even out your core muscle groups.

constantly going to a chiropractor without treating the underlying cause is a waste of money IMO.
darkpuppet,Jan 4 2007, 11:45 AM Wrote:constantly going to a chiropractor without treating the underlying cause is a waste of money IMO.
[right][snapback]222251[/snapback][/right]

Agreed. I'll be the joker doing core back exercises on his wife's giant blue Pilates ball at home from now on. I'm hoping to start that on the weekend.

My massage therpaist isn't available to the public ;)

It's feeling good today. Each day this week I wake up a little less stiff, a little less sore.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 4 2007, 11:48 AM Wrote:My massage therpaist isn't available to the public ;)[right][snapback]222253[/snapback][/right]
Why not? Is David Hasselhoff out on tour?
OAC_Sparky,Jan 4 2007, 02:38 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 4 2007, 11:48 AM Wrote:My massage therpaist isn't available to the public ;)[right][snapback]222253[/snapback][/right]
Why not? Is David Hasselhoff out on tour?
[right][snapback]222281[/snapback][/right]

Everyone loves the Hoff. Even the Hoff loves the Hoff! :lol: