FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Vs Used
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey,

I'm just wondering what the best route to take is when buying a car?

I bought my Focus about 8 mths ago, and its been giving me a lot of problems, but as an overall car i like it, it handles good and drives really nice, and has a great stereo. Important to me lol.

But i'm thinking about getting a new Focus (mines an 02). What do you guys suggest? New or used?

I'm leaning to new because at least you know the car hasn't had the crap driven out of it before you get it.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
personaly i never buy a new car....too much of a money and it drops in price as soon as u drive it off of that lot....

buy used but before you buy take it to your mechanic.....a mechanic that u trust....and ask him whats wrong with the car....
Go used! best bang for your buck!

BUT get it from a dealer!! I just bought a 2000 Cadillac STS with 149k and all looked good....... after i had it home for a week found all kinds of problems. Took it back and they fixed it all for free.

Main thing is make sure you get what you really want!
Used is good as you get to choose more of what your wanting if your not picky on colours, and can get deals for up to $10,000 less on a car that is 1 year old compairing it to the same car, New in the current Model year. Plus you can mod the crap out of it and not get in s*** if your buying or leasing a new car, just don't forget to have it checked out and always get the extened warentees offered.

New Can be a good thing too, However it will be more costly and you have to ask your self in 5 years are you wanting a newer car or plan on keeping this one you spent $20,000+ on ? Leasing can be a good option if your wanting a new car like every 5 years or so as you don't really own the car in the end, but you have to becareful if you modding a leased car.
After reading thru your issues...........
Clunking noise.........fixed
Thru a code........bought OBDII reader...........assumed fixed
Bad gas mileage........how bad? How many km's per tank?
Clicking noise? did you get this looked at?
If the car has 56,000km's than more than likely many regular maintenance issues haven't been addressed. Like new spark plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve. Those things alone can cause bad gas mileage.
I wouldn't give up on this car just yet. spend a few bucks and get the car looked at or even talk to Flo and see what kind of deal he can work out for ya.
Really bad gas mileage, i went 160km on half a tank, its stupid, i have a buddy with a saturn that gets like 650km off a tank, and i'm lucky to get 350km, and i drive 80km a day, i spend more time at the pump than an huge V8 SUV.

The Check engine code isn't fixed, i know what it is, and i haven't had time to fix it with christmas and stuff.

The clicking noise i had looked at, and ford could't find anything wrong with the car, but the clicking is still there.

Electronics are messed up, mainly the power door locks, and interior lights. Cd player is on the outs.
dude, as soon as i put the whole exhaust on..... i get only like 300

anyone else get it like that with header, flex and catback?

i did change the fuel filter before that too
Its funny, I get the same if not better gas milage when I drive higher up on the tach. Mabye my car is telling me to speed up... its ok you can go fast. lol.
New will depreciate very quick, but only if you plan on selling it in the first 2 years. If you trade/sell before that, you'll be owning more than you can sell it. After owning it for 3 years, you should be fine, but even better after 4 years.
When buying new, you can have it EXACTLY as you want, as long as you can afford it that is.
Also, when buying new, you can get 0% financing and other incentives.
Used is a great way to save for sure, but you never know how it was treated, unless you know the previous owner. I haven't bought a used car since 1995, and I'd have a hard time to do it again. I've been lucky with my new cars (4) since 1999. I know I've wasted some cash on my last one since I only had for 14 months, so I took a hit, but I knew I was getting a great deal on my new '07 ST ;).
Oh, and with my ST, i'm getting between 29 and 35 MPG. It's hard to stay off the throttle on this thing, lol.
focuspilot23,Dec 30 2006, 11:48 AM Wrote:Really bad gas mileage, i went 160km on half a tank, its stupid, i have a buddy with a saturn that gets like 650km off a tank, and i'm lucky to get 350km, and i drive 80km a day, i spend more time at the pump than an huge V8 SUV.

The Check engine code isn't fixed, i know what it is, and i haven't had time to fix it with christmas and stuff.

The clicking noise i had looked at, and ford could't find anything wrong with the car, but the clicking is still there.

Electronics are messed up,  mainly the power door locks, and interior lights. Cd player is on the outs.
[right][snapback]221825[/snapback][/right]
There is something really wrong with gas mileage like that. If you had a turbo or a SC I could understand, but that is a sign your car needs a little trip to somewhere other than a Ford dealer and a little TLC should set things right. I would consider the first step to be a tune up.
meford4u,Dec 30 2006, 04:04 PM Wrote:
focuspilot23,Dec 30 2006, 11:48 AM Wrote:Really bad gas mileage, i went 160km on half a tank, its stupid, i have a buddy with a saturn that gets like 650km off a tank, and i'm lucky to get 350km, and i drive 80km a day, i spend more time at the pump than an huge V8 SUV.

Electronics are messed up,  mainly the power door locks, and interior lights. Cd player is on the outs.
[right][snapback]221825[/snapback][/right]
There is something really wrong with gas mileage like that. If you had a turbo or a SC I could understand, but that is a sign your car needs a little trip to somewhere other than a Ford dealer and a little TLC should set things right. I would consider the first step to be a tune up.
[right][snapback]221861[/snapback][/right]

Are you around ottawa? Bring it by my place and I can take a look.

And FYI, I can get 500-550km/tank before the light turns on. Boosted to. :D
then there's def somethin wrong with my....will a regular mechanic tell me the problem?
Regarding the issue of new vs. used, I think the first question to ask is "How comfortable am I putting a lot of money into a rapidly depreciating asset vs. buying used and potentially someone elses problem"?

I needed a car that was rock solid reliable and wouldn't be in the shop all the time getting looked at so I went nearly new (Ex-daily rental) If I was able to and had the space I might have gone older and saved myself some serious cash and set some of the difference aside for the repair bills.

NefCanuck
Ya i'm near ottawa, kemptville to be exact.

The car isn't modded or anything, strictly factory, i'm on a quarter of a tank right now, and i reset the trip meter after filling, and i've gone 285 on 3 quarters of tank.

On another note:

I spent the day yesterday at ford dealerships, seeing what kind of deal i could get on a new focus. One dealer was arguing with me about buying an ex-rental car, because i flat out refused to buy an ex-rental car. I've rented cars and i know how i've driven them, and i know how other people have driven them. People aren't generally easy on a rental car because it isn't yours, you have for a couple days and give it back, you don't have to repair it, so who cares.

The manager at ford was telling me they do 160 point inspection, well he even said thats mostly visual, like brakes and lights, and stuff, they don't look at the tranny or the engine and stuff, like they rent out these brand new cars with 20km on them, and their being broken in real hard, and its cut the cars life a great deal. Sure there well maintained, but there driven the piss out off as far as i'm concerned. But he just kept arguing with me about buying one, and finally i had to leave.

Is it a universal dealership thing for them to take your car keys to appraise your vehicle and not give them back? I had to ask the dealer 5 times to bring my car keys back, like geez i asked once for them back, chances are i want them back, besides its MY damn car lol. 3 dealers have not returned my keys untill i just kept asking for them. Not cool!
I used to think 2-3 years was the sweet spot. It probably still is.

BUT - what about warranty? We sold ourselves short and only got a 1 year powertrain when we bought our 2001 sedan off a lease... and it bit us in the ass in the end.

Truth be told, we got the car with just under 56K on it and it was already out of factory bumper-to-bumper. We didn't have the extra cash to extend the powertrain either (as we bought a used-car warranty, both new warranties were 3 yr/60,000 KMs at the time, adn the car was 3 years old). 3 years into owning it, we started replacing things that we had previously expected to last at least another year or two, and there was more work to be done down the road that would have been significant... nevermind cosmetic stuff like paint, etc.

What's our current gameplan? For just over $1000, we're extending both warranties to 7 yr / 120,000 KMs in the spring... maybe 7 / 150. At that point, after intake / exhaust / some wheels, it's done. Just drive it and enjoy the coverage for 7 years.

Sure, it's a long time, but we can pay it off whenever and the financing is 0%.

Also, the new car warranties are terrific with Ford. I had the car in the shop a few weeks after we got it to adjust some cosmetics and whatnot (re-hang a door, etc) and they were great about it - quick to do exactly what I specified, walked me around the car when I picked it up to show what they saw and what they fixed.

I hate to say it, but I'm a convert. Of course, I have quite a bit of time to change my mind now if need be :)
I still will buy used, hands down, every time. I bought all of my cars used, including the mustang. The problem with buying some cars used, as that they aren't worth that much when you wanna trade in/trade-up. I found that with the ZX3 I had, it didn't matter how much I had invested into it, how clean it was inside and out, or how many new parts were in it. It was an "older car with a lot of km's" or so most dealerships told me. I was fortunate with my transaction, as the owner of the Ford store wanted to sell me HIS car (the stang), and they had a potential customer that had called looking for a ZX3 in good shape several times before I had gone in there.

I find, that if you can find a car like I did, with low km's, one owner, etc...you can save $10,000-$12,000 off retail price of the same car new, well...I did anyways.

Yeah, the interest rates aren't as enticing as a new car, but then again, you don't need to buy a 30-40K car to get the low rate.

Also, odd to think that your fuel economy is so lousy for you...I can get over 400km's to a tank in the Stang, and it's a 4.6L V8...which is actually only about 50-100km's per tank less than the ZX3 was getting when I sold it...

Ummm, tell us what you do..

L8tz
focuspilot23,Dec 31 2006, 11:44 AM Wrote:Ya i'm near ottawa, kemptville to be exact.

The car isn't modded or anything, strictly factory, i'm on a quarter of a tank right now, and i reset the trip meter after filling, and i've gone 285 on 3 quarters of tank.

[right][snapback]221929[/snapback][/right]

What kind of driving do you do? pedal to the metal? It does make a difference, especially with our 4cyl. What kind of maintenace have you done with it? What is your code that you have now about?
it really depends on what you want for an option package on your car and if you like to have new things all the time. I lucked out when I found my SVT, it was slightly used with only 4500km on it, the leather wasn't even broken in on it. it was picked up for about 10K less than a brand new SVT Focus. Makes you think, if you really search for a used car you can get what you want.
focuspilot23,Dec 31 2006, 10:44 AM Wrote:On another note:

I spent the day yesterday at ford dealerships, seeing what kind of deal i could get on a new focus. One dealer was arguing with me about buying an ex-rental car, because i flat out refused to buy an ex-rental car. I've rented cars and i know how i've driven them, and i know how other people have driven them.  People aren't generally easy on a rental car because it isn't yours, you have for a couple days and give it back, you don't have to repair it, so who cares.

[right][snapback]221929[/snapback][/right]

Disagree, I bought an ex daily rental, sure in theory it may have been driven harder than a regular car, it was in no way abused that my father a former Class A mechanic could detect (It only had 14,712 on it with less than nine months of use) and I saved over $9K versus buying the same car brand new (used some of the difference to up the warranty to 7/150K)

NefCanuck
Not pedal to the medal, I drive highway all the time, and I rarely if ever gun it, I'm careful with the car. I know how you drive it affects the gas consumption and I go easy on it. As i said its all highway i do, and i usually only got around 110km/hr which isn't fast.

Not really any maintenance done too it..it had the DPFE sensor replaced and gets regular oil changes done at the dealer.

And I realize that rental cars are well maintained, but it doesn't make me feel any better about buying an one.
Pages: 1 2