FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hail At 30,000 Ft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Considering I'm hopping on two airplanes over the next 10 hours today, I figured, this is good prepatory worrying material.

Boeing has run-in with hail
Don't forget your umbrella.
Fader
Fader,Dec 20 2006, 11:55 AM Wrote:Don't forget your umbrella.
Fader
[right][snapback]221124[/snapback][/right]
Wile E Coyote has shown us how useful an umbrella can be in such situations.
I was flying over Alberta on the weekend and it was clear sailing:

On approach to Calgary
[Image: 100_1655.jpg]

Banff
[Image: 100_1672.jpg]

Look at the positive side. We're looking at pictures of it landed safely.

Think about it. Pilot, 30,000' up, going 600MPH, makes it through a hailstorm, to land his 800,000 pound aircraft at 200MPH on a 1 1/2 mile long runway that's only 75' wide with a shattered windscreen.

There are people here that can't negotiate a trip down the road in their 3000 pound Focus going 30MPH without crashing into a curb because they hit black ice.

Who would you rather trust your life to?
Yup, very true. They were damn skilled, and apparently some of the story (or all of it) isn't true.

I'd hate to see them quit over the weather. That's like groping your neighbour because the sun came out.
Well at least it landed, needless to say I really wouldn't wanna be on the plane!
I think I'd be kissing the ground as soon as I got off that plane, then kidnap the pilot, 1st officer, navigator etc and take them to the closest gentlemen's club and buy them as many lap dances as they wanted.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 20 2006, 02:50 PM Wrote:That's like groping your neighbour because the sun came out.
[right][snapback]221139[/snapback][/right]
sounds like a good enough reason to me.
on the bright side, it's now 9:40 EST, and I"m stuck in Winterpeg...

delay delay delay.

It's like Air Canada thinks it's doing me a favour by giving me more time to visit my brother.

Unfortunately, he had to pick up the inlaws, and I've been sitting here for my 8:00 pm flight for ... will be going on 2 hours.

The batteries are dead in my PSP as well and the charger is in my suitcase.

WE HAVE A SITUATION!!! I NEED MY PSP
darkpuppet,Dec 20 2006, 09:41 PM Wrote:on the bright side, it's now 9:40 EST, and I"m stuck in Winterpeg...

delay delay delay.

It's like Air Canada thinks it's doing me a favour by giving me more time to visit my brother. 

Unfortunately, he had to pick up the inlaws, and I've been sitting here for my 8:00 pm flight for ... will be going on 2 hours.

WE HAVE A SITUATION!!!  I NEED MY PSP
[right][snapback]221219[/snapback][/right]

Suck it up. Your supposed to be a man. Not a child who needs his toy.

Oh, and Merry fawkin christmas to you to. :lol:
meford4u,Dec 20 2006, 11:13 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Dec 20 2006, 09:41 PM Wrote:on the bright side, it's now 9:40 EST, and I"m stuck in Winterpeg...

delay delay delay.

WE HAVE A SITUATION!!!  I NEED MY PSP
[right][snapback]221219[/snapback][/right]

Suck it up. Your supposed to be a man. Not a child who needs his toy.

Oh, and Merry fawkin christmas to you to. :lol:
[right][snapback]221228[/snapback][/right]

Dude have you ever spent serious time waiting around in airports for flights? DP is in what I would call the first circle of hell. Second circle is being trapped in an airport, waiting for a flight, with a smoker who can't get their nic fix at all while waiting for a delayed flight...

Been there, done that, I ever fly with them again I'm paying for a first class ticket, just so I'm in a different lounge and they can go harass someone else with their nic cravings :P

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Dec 20 2006, 11:23 PM Wrote:Been there, done that, I ever fly with them again I'm paying for a first class ticket, just so I'm in a different lounge and they can go harass someone else with their nic cravings :P[right][snapback]221231[/snapback][/right]
Gotcha beat.

Try spending from 1PM to 1AM waiting in Philadelphia with a sick 5 and 6 year old after a visit to the city by GWB totally messed up the schedule.

Only thing worse than trying to keep yourself occupied is trying to keep 2 kids that can't understand the situation occupied. :blink:
I was stuck at Orlando Airport for like 8 hours with nothing to do but play eyespy with my 9 year old and 11 year old brother and sister. Stupid snow storm in 1999. Storm even ruined the weather down in florida... it was fracking cold... and all I had were t-shirts and shorts and we'd rented a convertable... so we did what any Canadian tourist would do. Put on our t-shirts and shorts, put the top down, pretend it was warm, and went to Sea World. We of course froze, and everyone looked at us like were we nuts.

But yeah, 8 hours at Orlando airport... I can't say that was the happiest 8 hours of my life. If I'd have had a DS or PSP for even an hour of that time it would have helped considerably. 2 Hours is nothing.
OAC_Sparky,Dec 21 2006, 01:22 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Dec 20 2006, 11:23 PM Wrote:Been there, done that, I ever fly with them again I'm paying for a first class ticket, just so I'm in a different lounge and they can go harass someone else with their nic cravings :P[right][snapback]221231[/snapback][/right]
Gotcha beat.

Try spending from 1PM to 1AM waiting in Philadelphia with a sick 5 and 6 year old after a visit to the city by GWB totally messed up the schedule.

Only thing worse than trying to keep yourself occupied is trying to keep 2 kids that can't understand the situation occupied. :blink:
[right][snapback]221242[/snapback][/right]

Okay, kids beat even that, but man, I can still remember the kvetching... never again, even if the ticket costs me $4K, if it saves my sanity it'll be money well spent <_<

NefCanuck
Try sitting on the tarmac at PIA for 4.5 hours because the Thor System won't let the gate monkeys run the gangways out to the aircraft.... thus blowing a 3 hour layover, missing my final leg home to North Bay and almost having to force the Air Canada Jazz attendant to give me a ticket on the last flight home of the night. There was room on the flight, yet they bitched about having to give me a seat. WTF? :huh:

If I hadn't already been on my feet for 17+ hours that day, I would have just rented a car and drove home at that point.