FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any Jeep expert out there? Need opinion for 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. Saw one out there for $4500 w/ 22xk km on the clock, I know it suck on gas but this will mainly be car for the snow day and tow my fishing boat. Any known problem?
is that a 4.6L?

cuz my co-worker has one....he made a mudder out it....loves it....slow but goes everywhere....and i don't think he had any mechanical problems with it
It's likely the 5.2 Magnum. I haven't known those motors to be punchy after 200K, so it might be time to check it all out for compression, etc. It could be a candidate for an early rebuild to "freshen it up".

And if you're pushing around a Laredo with a cast-iron 318 CID, you'd better get every pony available to you. ;)

02ztsian

I had a 92 with the 5.2L V-8. Known trouble spots include front brake rotors (recall item) and transmission ($2500 to re & re so we traded it in on a minivan) and about 14 mpg in the city (although I did see 26 mpg on a few highway trips). I put on a Flowmaster American Thunder catback and it was MEAN!!! And awesome in the snow, esp. the QuardaTrack full time AWD. My wife really misses her Jeep; you will like it.
Many recalls including: air bag recalls, seat heaters, tranny issues & recall, paint...

these are still up there on the theift lists as well as they are still prized in 3rd world countries, not to mention they are not that difficult to break into, and very easy to be stolen.
So is $4500 price tag reasonable?

02ztsian

Oh, ya, forgot about the paint. Peeled like a bad sunburn.
The paint is perfect sharp and it is a 5.2L V8.
honestly i think its a deal....22K on a clock.......just take it to your mechanic and let him see how good it is on the engine....
Lol. if you read the original post he mentioned 22x - X being a variable.

Therefore there is over 220k on the car. still sounds like a decent deal though.

From what i've heard, those 318's are bulletproof, as are the 360's towards the end of the life, they might burn a bit of oil, but most chryslers do as they get older.
oooops my bad......lol ......