FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Clunking Noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So i was backing out of the driveway yesterday and as i was turning the wheel and braking to a stop i heard this weird clunking noise.

It seems to happen when i slow down...like when the car kind of nose dives when slowing down, but than it'll do it when i'm driving at random speeds and over small bumps...

I can't tell if its the suspension or the brakes? i think its the suspension, because you can hear the noise when the car is off and in park, and i get out of the car and shut the door you can hear it. So i was out there bouncing the car up and down at all four corners, and the noise is very random, sometimes it'll clunk sometimes it won't. Sometimes it'll do it at takeoff and at stopping and sometimes it won't do it either time. I'm confused about what it could be. I think its coming from the front end but its hard to pinpoint it.

Id bet money on your shock mounts... check em out!
Check and see if it makes it when you turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other, or during...

It could be something as simple as the sway bar link.... thats goes from the strut to the sway bar... the can make noise at all the times u mentioned.
I've had this numerous times. I think I've had the car in a dozen times for that before it actually did it in front of the tech.

It;s the strut bearing.

Have em' replaced!
And if it's not the strut bearing (slim chance) it's probably the swaybar endlink which is notorious in these cars for breaking. I had my car for 5 years and on the right side I had 4 endlinks replaced.
MAlby7,Dec 17 2006, 03:41 PM Wrote:And if it's not the strut bearing (slim chance) it's probably the swaybar endlink which is notorious in these cars for breaking.  I had my car for 5 years and on the right side I had 4 endlinks replaced.
[right][snapback]220710[/snapback][/right]

How much would those things cost to repair?
MAlby7,Dec 17 2006, 12:41 PM Wrote:And if it's not the strut bearing (slim chance) it's probably the swaybar endlink which is notorious in these cars for breaking.  I had my car for 5 years and on the right side I had 4 endlinks replaced.
its cause its the end links are a sealed ball joint.... they dry out and don't have a fitting to be greased.. but every once and a while, you sqeeze the end of a small grease tube in to the seal.

you can hear them when they've dried out... and once they have the seal is pretty much toasted anyways. i did mine the other day... i heard a noise like you on tuesday... freaked out and took it straight to my mechanic to see if i should start freaking at the dealer i bought the car from. did it in about 10 minutes (including time to jack the car and to remove the tire...)

when for a drive and boo ya... fixed. hasn't made a squeak sence.
focuspilot23,Dec 17 2006, 02:52 PM Wrote:
MAlby7,Dec 17 2006, 03:41 PM Wrote:And if it's not the strut bearing (slim chance) it's probably the swaybar endlink which is notorious in these cars for breaking.  I had my car for 5 years and on the right side I had 4 endlinks replaced.

How much would those things cost to repair?
[right][snapback]220738[/snapback][/right]

i think they are about $12 or $15... and take about 10 minutes to install.
also check that your engine mounts are all tightened up and not broken,

that was the case in my car when i was getting a clunk.
I hate mystery clunks... i wish there was a cel that told you if the new clunk is gonna be a cheap clunk or a expencive clunk.... :D
I think the end links are closer to $40 or $50. These are not like the old chevy ones that are a bolt and rubber bushings. If you have any sort of warranty get them done at the dealer. If not get some high quality ones like MOOG. These will come with grease nipples so you can service them.
if its the end link it should do it when you jake the car up... if it is the end link if you jack the front to the car off the ground (safely) and turm the wheel/hub back and forth you can feel if the end link is gone if you put you finger on the back of the joint.
end link bolts :angry:

thats the only bolt on my car that I couldnt get off, had to pay 1/2 hour labour to heat it up and have it removed. :angry: :angry:
Thanks Guys, I don't think i have any warrantly left on the car except the powertrain, or whatever original warrantly is left with the car.

Do you think getting it looked at, at canadian tire? there isn't much else out here in kemptville lol.

Do you think its safe to drive like it is?
if... IF its the endlinks... its safe, but if it breaks you could tear cv boots get it tangled up in the wheels and lots of expencive fun stuff... But that would be safer then getting you car serviced at canadian tire....

I gve them 50/50 odds on whether they fix the right thing and it costs you less then $300....

there must be a garage or something other then crappytire ....
And if its not the endlinks? what else could it be, and would it be safe?

Ok, So i pinpointed the noise, and its for sure the front tires everytime the steering wheel is turned i does a lot of creaking and groaning, and it'll still do when i'm driving.

Could it still be the endlinks? or is it something worse? would my tierod make that noise if it was bad?
If its while your turning it may be driveaxles as well.
zx5power,Dec 20 2006, 02:09 AM Wrote:If its while your turning it may be driveaxles as well.
[right][snapback]221102[/snapback][/right]

Well when its sitting in the drive way and i crank the steering wheel one way or the other it makes the noise, and than on the road over bumbs and stuff...or when i hit the brakes.
Im friggin sure its your strut mounts, im telling you check it
Pages: 1 2