FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Observations Of A Guinea Pig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, seeing as how today is the last day for me at work until I go on vacation, the irony gods see fit to drop this little gem in my lap.

I get a call from our funders IT department asking whether I would agree to help them beta test an install routine for a new software package that they want to deploy remotely over our LAN connection. Being teh trusting soul I am, I agree, figuring that it'll probably go without a hitch (This is the point where I should have slapped myself with a trout)

So after TWO HOURS and enough reboots that I'm actually afraid that I would have killed the HDD with all the power up / spin down activity, we finally decide it isn't going to work and call it a day (I learned more about the setting and reviewing of Group Policies in XP Pro than I ever wanted to know <_< )

Flash forward to this afternoon...

A colleague returns from a hearing after lunch and attempts to log in. Guess what happens? The program that was supposed to install on my machine is trying to install on his! By trying I mean that the screeen reports the installation has started, but after ten minutes the machine is deader than my sex life :ph34r:

So a couple of phone calls and emails and the experiment was finally pulled.

The best part? His comment by email afterwards that "Everything worked fine in the lab"

Famous last words those are....

NefCanuck
If he was deploying by GPO, 10 bucks says he didn't have the computer objects in the correct locations in AD. I bet he had his workstation in place of yours in the OU in question... hence the install to his machine.
NefCanuck,Dec 15 2006, 05:52 PM Wrote:.... the machine is deader than my sex life :ph34r:

[right][snapback]220556[/snapback][/right]

You sure it's the failed install you're frustrated with?

darkpuppet,Dec 15 2006, 04:57 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Dec 15 2006, 05:52 PM Wrote:.... the machine is deader than my sex life :ph34r:

[right][snapback]220560[/snapback][/right]

:rofl: did I walk into that one... :ph34r:

NefCanuck

or the lack of ram power?
:rofl:
meford4u,Dec 15 2006, 11:49 PM Wrote:

or the lack of ram power?
[right][snapback]220607[/snapback][/right]

Meh, if I wanted more "ram power" I wouldn't be driving a Focus now would I? ;)

A Focus doesn't exactly scream "Driver is a sex machine" now does it? :D

NefCanuck
Mine screams "has delusions of rallying" ;)

Or "loves to hear engine rev - approach with caution" :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 16 2006, 05:32 PM Wrote:Mine screams "has delusions of rallying" ;)

Or "loves to hear engine rev - approach with caution" :lol:
[right][snapback]220672[/snapback][/right]

Heh, mine now screams on command "You wanna a piece of me? Huh? do ya?"

NefCanuck
screaming is for chicks... my car grunts...
darkpuppet,Dec 18 2006, 10:20 AM Wrote:screaming is for chicks... my car grunts...
[right][snapback]220853[/snapback][/right]

That's because it has to move its own lard ass with only a V6 :D

NefCanuck