FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Leaking Brake Fluid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.. recently my emergency brake light had been coming on, checked it out and I was low on brake fluid. I topped it up and a couple weeks or so and the light comes on and I'm back down to the "min" mark on the reservoir.

I went to my dealership and he asked to look under my drivers floor mat. He said that some Focus' have leaked brake fluid and it gets inside the car by the clutch pedal.. I had never heard of this, but I had just recently removed my carpet floor mats to put my rubber ones in and there was a wet-looking mark by the top of the mat that could have been brake fluid.

Anyway, I've got extended warranty coverage until this summer, and he said there is a $100 deductible charge. I've never had any extended warranty work done, so I'm guessing this is normal?

Has this happened to anyone else?
yeah the $100 deduc is normal...I went through the same thing.

I've never had problems with my brakes leaking fluid. And when i bled the clutch on the engine swap, it was tranny fluid coming out...not brake fluid.
I had this problem a while ago.

turns out after my car got rear-ended, the shop who reinstalled the rear control arm didnt tighten the brake lines enough, so.... drip..........drip.......drip. Just like yours. every time I would take a corner the Brake light would come on, and then eventaully it would be on all the time.

kinda scared me, so I would buy some brake fluid. I went through about 3 bottles because I just didnt have the time to get it done. but when it was done, all they had to do was tighten all the bolts on the control arm and the resovoir and it worked fine.

was a $30 fix.

but if yours is leaking inside the car, thats a whole different beast. it could mean that your clutch master cylinder is out. but thats a $50 part and not that difficult to fix. So I wouldn't worry too much it won't rape you to get this fixed
I have an auto so this might be a silly question to some but does the clutch master and the brake master share the same resovoir?
yup happened on my car too, dont remember exactly what was broke but i have to dig through this pile of work orders which is starting to turn like anthony d's pile. but ya was a simple fix.. will take the better half of the morning at the stealers***
Yeah, the clutch and brake share the same master cylinder. Had this happen to my car too. Fairly simple to change...