FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: More Hov Lanes Planned For 400-series Highways
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
More HOV Lanes Planned For 400-Series Highways
December 13, 2006
Source:toronto.ctv.ca

More high-occupancy vehicle lanes are being planned by the Ontario government for busy 400-series highways.

Early in 2007 more so-called HOV lanes are expected to be zipping commuters to their destinations, without taking away existing highway lanes.

"The 400-series is primarily where we're going to look at the expansion because it makes sense," Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield said.

"When you look at the greater Toronto study area, we are as far north as, I think, Newmarket now. So we're looking to expand that study area."

Cansfield did hint at a multi-year effort to add HOV lanes on Highway 400, along the entire Barrie-Toronto stretch. Major development projects in Barrie, Innisfil, East Gwillimbury and Bradford areas mean 33 per cent population growth by 2025, according to Cansfield.

Set to be completed in 2007 are HOV lanes on Hwy. 404 northbound from Hwy 401 to Hwy. 7. Another 16 kilometres of the carpool lanes will be added to the QEW in the Oakville to Burlington corridor.

But the notoriously big and busy Hwy. 401 is not slated for HOV lanes.

"Some people say, 'Why not on Hwy. 401? It's the busiest highway in North America.' The reason is we've run out of real estate there," OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley said.

"The 401 is only busy because it is being fed by traffic from other highways and if we can reduce the number of cars getting onto those highways, it is having a benefit on 401."

Ontario introduced HOV lanes exactly one year ago today. Designed to promote carpooling, to use the lanes a motorist must have at least two people inside their vehicle.

The transportation ministry says the lanes are saving time for motorists during their daily commute. Officials point to Hwy. 404 southbound saying drivers using the HOV lanes save an average of 14 minutes per trip. Southbound drivers not using the HOV lanes are also saving time; an average of nine minutes per trip.

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo oooo oooo o o

p.s. So what they're saying is that everyone saves time by adding more lanes? hmmm......
We need HOV on 401, how about a highway ontop of the 401....hehehe HOV highway :)
I like the 407.. we need more of those.

Let the poor people sit in traffic, while I speed along on my own personal super speedway.
darkpuppet,Dec 13 2006, 08:16 PM Wrote:I like the 407.. we need more of those. 

Let the poor people sit in traffic, while I speed along on my own personal super speedway.
[right][snapback]220046[/snapback][/right]

Yeah Ok, so what time do you take this famous highway that you get your own super speedway?

I used it daily and I still sit in traffic. My company pays for it so i dont realy care for taking it.

I like the idea of HOV lanes in 400. Maybe that will make me and the wife take the same car :)
Funny story. Our fawked up union thinks the Ontario government should be ashamed for the 407. They promote that we shouldn't use it.

After a union meeting last year, I got up at the meeting and asked why we shouldn't use the 407? Well there was lots of hooting and hollering and I received an explaination from the secretary.

So I followed him out to his car after the meeting.

You guessed it, only to find a 407 transponder. I let him have it, both guns. And I let those in the parking lot know what a 2 faced SOB he was.

I love the 407 and it's convienience.
It IS convenient, but I would have been happier to have slightly higher taxes than to have to pay every time I use it.

I guess I have that PoV because we're in the North and pretty much never use it because of the billing system. I just don't trust them. I would, however, use it in a heartbeat if I had more reason to get a transponder.
As long as the HOV lanes aren't taking away from the existing lanes, I can't see a reason to kvetch.

Where I bitch is seeing the jackholes alone in the car using them (and I know they could have car seats with kids in 'em, but c'mon I've see two seater roadsters with only the driver zipping along in the HOV lanes, so it's not a strech to say its likely there are abuses going unpunished)

As to the 407, believe me, you take that you speed, if only not to get run over, at least on weekends :rolleyes: Meford can attest to that :lol:

NefCanuck
I've sat in traffic on the 407 looking over at the 401 that was not moving. Difference was, they were sitting there for free.

I have no problem with toll highways, but I have a problem with the amount that they charge for 407 use. Nearly ten bucks for a trip end to end is fawked, you could cross a whole state on a US tollway for that.
last trip across new york = ~$16US. Good times.

I like the 407, even though its pricy. saves me a ton of time. Have never been stuck in traffic on it. I really need to get a transponder though, the video cost doubles up my bill. :(

I'm glad the 401 isn't slated for an HOV lane, that would be totally retarded. It just needs about 5 more lanes in both directions, and maybe -- just maybe -- it will move better. I know I'm wishing for a miracle here.
I can't make it any easier............

http://www.407etr.com/Products/transponders.htm