FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Buh-bye North Pole..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Sounds as though in 40 years time, the only ice you're gonna find will be in your drink...

Quote:Global warming could melt almost all of the ice in the Arctic during the summer months by the year 2040, according to a study to be published Tuesday.

CBC News

[Image: arcticice.jpg]

The top image, based on simulations produced by the Community Climate System Model, shows the approximate extent of Arctic sea ice in September. By about 2040 (image at bottom), the Arctic may be nearly devoid of sea ice during the late summer unless greenhouse gas emissions are significantly curtailed. (UCAR)
The top image, based on simulations produced by the Community Climate System Model, shows the approximate extent of Arctic sea ice in September. By about 2040 (image at bottom), the Arctic may be nearly devoid of sea ice during the late summer unless greenhouse gas emissions are significantly curtailed. (UCAR)

If greenhouse gases continue to build at their current rate, the study found, the Arctic's ice cover would go through periods of stability followed by abrupt retreat.

One simulation projects that by 2040, only a small amount of perennial ice would remain on the north coasts of Greenland and Canada during the summer months.

This would be a more dramatic change in Arctic climate than anything we've seen so far, according to McGill University professor Bruno Tremblay, one of the study's authors. And it would also have a profound impact on global warming around the world, he said.

"Open water absorbs more sunlight than does ice," Tremblay told CBC News Online. "This means that the growing regions of ice-free water will accelerate the warming trend."

The melting of polar ice creates a positive feedback loop, Tremblay said. Higher temperatures means less ice, and that means more sunlight is absorbed by water, which in turn raises temperatures. This will lead to an accelerated change in climate in a very short time, Tremblay said.

Scenarios simulated on supercomputers suggest sea ice could diminish enough within 20 years to speed the retreat of Arctic ice four-times faster than at any other time in the observed record.

"Right now there is a steady decline. But we're going to reach a tipping point where the decline will happen very quickly and [from which] we can't recover," he said.

Carbon-dioxide emissions blamed

Tremblay worked on the study - to be published in the Dec. 12 issue of Geophysical Research Letters - with lead researcher Marika Holland at the U.S. National Center for Atmospheric Research and Cecilia Bitz of the University of Washington.

The only way to prevent the rapid loss of polar ice is to implement aggressive measures to reduce carbon-dioxide emissions resulting from the combustion of fossil fuels, Tremblay said.

Previous studies looking at the Canadian Arctic have envisaged similar timetables for the disappearance of permanent ice floes.

In June 2006, University of British Columbia professor Michael Byers said the Northwest Passage would be clear of ice during the summer months in 25 years.

A 2004 study by André Rochon, chief scientist on Canada's Amundsen research icebreaker, predicted the waterways would be clear of ice in 50 years.

I'll be honest, if we only have 40 years before all the ice melts, we're already pretty much screwed... the tipping point is obviously a lot sooner than 40 years, and the tipping point can only be delayed, not avoided by reducing emissions...

growing economies, cultural beliefs, and ignorance will lead to slow adoption of any emissions reducing measures... and what's needed is a way to reverse some of the damage, or give it time to correct itself.

Is that really going to happen? I seriously doubt it...

Not to be all dooms-day-like, but I think our hope for the future is in being able to manage resources that ensure our survival.. crops, livestock, etc... and accept the fact that we won't be able to save everything that's going to be affected, but is unable to cope (ie, ocean deadzones, fishkills, etc).

I wonder what life is gonna be like, with diminished winters and hotter summers. Now might be a good time for me to sell my snowboard :P ..
Thank - you Dr. Feelgood.
I've been doing climate research at home lately, along with cancer research. (www.cpdn.org)

They've been saying just that for a while now, based on the futture predictions and the meteorological data of the past 150 years or so.

In our lifetimes, we may well see things change... permanently.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
SANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess Canada's military presense is gonna get stonger up there as more land becomes visible.
do you know that in 1984 ctv did a Huge Story on how by the year 1990 the Ozone layer would be completely gone and it was to late to do anything about it! we would all die from skin cancer if we walked out side with out the ozone layer....

Hmmmm... its 2007.... still going outside.... that was a close one.

In the Mid 80's, "Scientists" told the world that living near powerlines and being to close to electronics caused cancer due to the weak magnetic fields they gave off....

20 years later the same retarted "scientists" are claim the same magnetic fields as a cure all... we now love magnetic fields... every one put on their Q-Ray braclettes and wait for earth to warm up.

10 years ago, a "scientist" decided he could create a perfect honey bees by breeding two different bees... low and behold we have a new bee, come to be know as "The killer bee"...

the Scientists then discovered this Super aggressive bee was highly adaptable and liked to swarm in the 10's of thousands... Doh!.... better warn the world it had about 2 to 3 years MAX before 90% of North america was infested with super aggressive killer bees....

2007...still no killer bees.

7 years ago...

y2k.... going to be throw back into the dark ages....

fart!

3 years ago....

west nile to kill billions....

fart X2!

2 years ago....

Sars to wipe out planet, but was twarted by the cursed Rolling stones....thank you stones for curing sars....

1 year ago....

Avian bird flu to desimate the planet....

still waiting...

Global warming, oh for the love of god.... 150 years ago the world was 1.25 degrees cooler... seriously?

do you think in 1857 farm clem was out making sure his temperature reading were dead on the money?

heres a bet... in forty years... there will be ice caps....

that is only if Al gore will save us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's an idea - why don't you actually try to understand the science behind what's being said instead of sitting there, rifling your mouth off like a crazed teenager.

If what we're experiencing right now is true, then what's happening is cyclical. It's like the swing of a clock's pendulum. Instead of things ticking along merrily, we're grabbing the damn pendulum and swinging it even harder. Make sense now? We don't know what will happen this time because we're already so far outside of the known "norm" for temperature swing on the planet before an ice-age hits.
On the bright side, our North Bay contingent might get to try out those air conditioner thingies in their cars.

:ph34r:
OAC_Sparky,Dec 13 2006, 02:01 PM Wrote:On the bright side, our North Bay contingent might get to try out those air conditioner thingies in their cars.

:ph34r:
[right][snapback]220004[/snapback][/right]

What else does it do? I use it to de-humidify the windsheld!
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 13 2006, 02:03 PM Wrote:What else does it do? I use it to de-humidify the windsheld!
[right][snapback]220006[/snapback][/right]
Try it without the heat on. :lol:
SliverSteeda,Dec 13 2006, 02:51 PM Wrote:do you know that in 1984 ctv did a Huge Story on how by the year 1990 the Ozone layer would be completely gone and it was to late to do anything about it!  we would all die from skin cancer if we walked out side with out the ozone layer....

In the Mid 80's, "Scientists" told the world that living near powerlines and being to close to electronics caused cancer due to the weak magnetic fields they gave off....

20 years later the same retarted "scientists" are claim the same magnetic fields as a cure all... we now love magnetic fields... every one put on their Q-Ray braclettes and wait for earth to warm up.

10 years ago, a "scientist" decided he could create a perfect honey bees by breeding two different bees... low and behold we have a new bee, come to be know as "The killer bee"...

the Scientists then discovered this Super aggressive bee was highly adaptable and liked to swarm in the 10's of thousands... Doh!.... better warn the world it had about 2 to 3 years MAX  before 90% of North america was infested with super aggressive killer bees....

2007...still no killer bees.

7 years ago...

y2k.... going to be throw back into the dark ages....

fart!

3 years ago....

west nile to kill billions....

fart X2!

2 years ago....

Sars to wipe out planet, but was twarted by the cursed Rolling stones....thank you stones for curing sars....

1 year ago....

Avian bird flu to desimate the planet....

still waiting...

Global warming, oh for the love of god.... 150 years ago the world was 1.25 degrees cooler... seriously?

do you think in 1857 farm clem was out making sure his temperature reading were dead on the money?

[right][snapback]220002[/snapback][/right]

:rofl:

That was good.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 13 2006, 02:24 PM Wrote:I've been doing climate research at home lately, along with cancer research. (www.cpdn.org)

They've been saying just that for a while now, based on the futture predictions and the meteorological data of the past 150 years or so.

In our lifetimes, we may well see things change... permanently.
[right][snapback]219990[/snapback][/right]
Good boy lol

I too run CPDN. It's a good project and deserves as much computer time as possible.
SliverSteeda,Dec 13 2006, 02:51 PM Wrote:do you know that in 1984 ctv did a Huge Story on how by the year 1990 the Ozone layer would be completely gone and it was to late to do anything about it!  we would all die from skin cancer if we walked out side with out the ozone layer....

blah blah blah blah blah

[right][snapback]220002[/snapback][/right]

So let me guess, in spite of naysayers, your house is filled with asbestos, your mama smoked when she was pregnant with you, seatbelts don't save lives, and steroids are good for you?

The truth of the matter is that scientists can't predict everything, and the views will change as knowledge increases. But the scientists working today aren't the same ones from 150 years ago that you still don't believe in.

There's been a lot of evidence that the earth is changing, and not necessarily for the better... I'm not saying the sky is falling, but by the time the scientists have proven themselves right to the masses that cling to those statements, it's gonna be too late.
Won't matter much soon, after we reach "peak oil" we won't have car exhaust to worry about. Or much else.

www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

Now if we could find a way of piping cow farts to collect the methane gas we may have hope for both global warming and fuel resources. They say cow farts collectively do more to speed global warming than cars do....
yo OAC...you think you and I could make something to harvest fart powah?
Flofocus,Dec 13 2006, 02:44 PM Wrote:yo OAC...you think you and I could make something to harvest fart powah?
[right][snapback]220029[/snapback][/right]

Nate has the supah snail to compress the gases! :rofl: :rofl:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 13 2006, 03:47 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Dec 13 2006, 02:44 PM Wrote:yo OAC...you think you and I could make something to harvest fart powah?
[right][snapback]220029[/snapback][/right]

Nate has the supah snail to compress the gases! :rofl: :rofl:
[right][snapback]220030[/snapback][/right]

fawk awf, Im serious.

kind of.
OAC_Sparky,Dec 13 2006, 03:36 PM Wrote:Won't matter much soon, after we reach "peak oil" we won't have car exhaust to worry about. Or much else.

www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

Now if we could find a way of piping cow farts to collect the methane gas we may have hope for both global warming and fuel resources. They say cow farts collectively do more to speed global warming than cars do....
[right][snapback]220024[/snapback][/right]

I know there's a couple test-farms for collecting pig gasses. Not sure if there's anything for cows yet..

Also, I always got the impression that we already reached peak oil. The numbers of oil consumption vs oil finds was pretty much inverse in 2006... which means there's no more easy oil, and we start down the bell chart..
hey, i'm not saying todays science is wrong... but when your basing your current theories on data from 150 years ago... ah, the competency of the science at that time has to come into question.

were talking 1.25 degrees over the last 150 years.... go out side with a 1857 thermometer and tell me if you can tell the difference between 1.25 degrees... and the education and science thats nessasary to make thay calculation wasn't exactly tought in public schooling back then. and i won't even start on the record keeping back then.... For a science there is way to much guessing and supposing going on...

but hey if the the world is gonna end... its gonna end. Maybe the earth is ment to change.... maybe we're not suppose to be the dominant species forever....

and futher more... if you ever wanna see what enviromentalists achive in the long term.... look up the history of americas first national park yellowstone

the government paid hunters to kill gray wolves that were eating the population of elk down farther then what they determined was good for the eco-system. By the early 1930s, all of Yellowstone's wolves were gone.

Killing the wolves had a big effect on Yellowstone's animals and plants. Coyotes and elk, which are hunted by wolves, became too numerous. Plants that are eaten by elks began to disappear. the trees disappeared so much that it caused a increase in ground erosion destroying a majority of the long lasting ecosystem of yellowstone... all this took lest then 15 years... because environmentalists decided they needed to help out mother nature with out fully understanding the problem....

i suggest that people read State of Fear... to get a better understanding of the lack of Facts that drive these Global warming campaigns.... By the way... what type of car do you think Al Gore drives? bet it isn't a focus?....hmmmm.
Try Algonquin Park for an example of that exact thinking - with the local Wolves. Same deal, they were almost killed off and had finally been brought back as of about 10-15 years ago. The deer damn near ate everything prior to that because of the lack of predators.

And... I drive a Focus. And all I worry about day in and day out is myself and my wife. If we're making the right choices, then at least we've done something. I've long since given up on converting the sheeple.
Pages: 1 2 3