FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: No Heat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Took the Focus out today to take and no heat was coming out the vents. The fans still worked on numbers 1,2,3 and 4. Had the dial up the hottest it would go and tried it on every level.

Any ideas where to start looking?
mustanggt_50,Oct 26 2009, 08:49 PM Wrote:Took the Focus out today to take and no heat was coming out the vents. The fans still worked on numbers 1,2,3 and 4. Had the dial up the hottest it would go and tried it on every level.

Any ideas where to start looking?
[right][snapback]296455[/snapback][/right]

Heater core probably rusted/clogged.
check the coolant level in the overflow tank if its empty thats your problem. i had it happend to me last week, the stat housing leaks a bit, over time it adds up.
Also make sure your heat controller knob is actually functional.
thermostat may need replacing.
oldeguy,Oct 27 2009, 09:58 AM Wrote:thermostat may need replacing.
[right][snapback]296463[/snapback][/right]
My thinking as well, but this would cause slow heat, not no heat (just happened to me, so I know).

Is it really no heat?

Ivan MacKenzie.
I lifted the hood today and checked and the coolant level was low, which was strange because it was full not even a week ago. Started the car and it was leaking like crazy from the t-stat housing. Pulled it apart to notice it had an internal crack (checked online afterwards and found its quite common).

Have the part on order now, I will see tomorrow if that fixes the heat problem but even if not at least I am fixing something.

Thanks for all the pointers.
Little tip
when the thermostat housing fails its caused by the oil seeping down from the rocker cover gasket.. when you replace the housing replace the rocker cover gasket or in 1-2 years the oil will destroy your new housing/seal
also when installing the new seal do not use any seal maker/sealent with the new gasket it will deteriorate it aswel

as for no heat My wagon used to do that it was caused by a fail safe'd thermostat.. it would take for ever to heat ( when it did) I had to force the car to heat up by covering up half the front of the rad till I could replace it...
Thanks for the tip. I would have never guessed that even though one of the bolts on the rocker cover was loose and there was oil seeping down. I will check into that soon.

As for the heat, I have it now! :D
np

yeah I just replaced housing #2 both engines seeped oil from the lowest point of the cam lobe straight above the housing