FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Don't Mod Your Car In The States!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc40...044-e.html

According to Border Services Canada:

Repairs or modifications to your vehicle

"If you intend to have repairs or modifications made to your vehicle outside Canada, check with the CBSA before you leave. Under customs legislation, the CBSA can no longer consider your vehicle, vessel, or aircraft to be Canadian-made if you increase its value, improve its condition, or have it modified outside of Canada. As a result, you may have to pay duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST) or Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) on its entire value when you bring it back."

Scary.
okay sorry to be anal here but how the hell are they gonna know if u modded ur car in the states? It's not like their gonna pull u over and say, "hey man, the focus doesn't have these wheels, ur paying duty and taxes!".

We could have modded it all in canada and went over to buffalo for some wings and came back? How would they know if i modded it here or in US?

Obviously. It would be hard to find out.

I just didn't know they had the power to tax you on your entire car.
You would have to provide sufficient proof that the vehicle was modified in Canada before going across the border, ie. dated receipts. They can be sticky as a motherf'er when they want to be. For my stereo I didn't have receipts for anything but hardware and they wanted proof of installation. I had to get my sis to go to my place sort through my computer and burn a cd of photos detailing the full install. Meanwhile here's me sitting at the border for 3 hrs looking like a f***in criminal.
And here I thought this was one of those infamous "modding voids your warranty" threads.

Wow. That's f***ing pathetic.
Wow thats just downright silly!

So I guess if you come down here with bald tires, slap on some new tires, and return home, you could be trouble.

I think you'd have to get someone in a bad mood at customs who is just itching to transfer their bad day to someone else to have this happen.
Well as Focusracer mentioned, it’s not their job to find out where you got your stuff from. Its YOUR JOB to prove them you got it in Canada.

They are pricks and after all they get paid to work and stay there. It’s your life and day that has to be stuck at customs and wait until you can provide documentation.

I know lot of ppl used to cross the border, get new tires put on and drive back. I guess customs wants to make money out of this as well.

After all, our motto is" Welcome to Canada, now bend over!!!”
mo_focus,Dec 13 2006, 10:21 AM Wrote:Well as Focusracer mentioned, it’s not their job to find out where you got your stuff from. Its YOUR JOB to prove them you got it in Canada.

They are pricks and after all they get paid to work and stay there. It’s your life and day that has to be stuck at customs and wait until you can provide documentation.

I know lot of ppl used to cross the border, get new tires put on and drive back. I guess customs wants to make money out of this as well.

After all, our motto is" Welcome to Canada, now bend over!!!”
[right][snapback]219948[/snapback][/right]

Problem is.. some people don't keep receipts, lost them, moved and misplaced them, whatever. Heck, how many people keep all the receipts for their mods in their car? I don't. This is the last thing to ever cross my mind when crossing the border. So if you get a prick on this.. what do they do? pull out their magic 8 ball and tell you your intake cost $1000, cough over the cash? Or confiscate it and leave you stranded?

I guess "guilty until proven innocent" prevails. Thought that was only here in the states :ph34r:
Nah, it's a North American thing.

I sure as hell don't drive around with the receipts to my car's mods in the damn car. And I'm not about to start now.
Reading the whole thing is your friend.

Canada Border Services Agency Wrote:Repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/ aircraft in the United States, Mexico, Chile, or Israel will be free of duty when it is re-imported into Canada. GST/HST will apply to the value of the repairs or alterations.
[right][snapback]220005[/snapback][/right]

02SVTSEDAN

Who care's.. :lol:
You would probably have to do paperwork in regards to importing, because if you read the other part of the document it does say "re-importing" and that would already require proof of the car originaly being from canada.

importing and simply driving across the border are two different things.

good to see people looking through this though. :)
torradan,Dec 13 2006, 11:42 AM Wrote:Problem is.. some people don't keep receipts, lost them, moved and misplaced them, whatever.  Heck, how many people keep all the receipts for their mods in their car?  I don't.  This is the last thing to ever cross my mind when crossing the border.  So if you get a prick on this.. what do they do?  pull out their magic 8 ball and tell you your intake cost $1000, cough over the cash?  Or confiscate it and leave you stranded?

I guess "guilty until proven innocent" prevails.  Thought that was only here in the states  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]219952[/snapback][/right]

actually if you "Plan ahead on your trip to the states... which i seriously recommend to anyone not wanting to be detained at the border... got to the customs Canada site and theres a full checklist they recommend for ease of traveling.

They suggest (as do I) that if you have anything that the customs official might suspect you could be inquired about when returning to the great country of CANADA you stop before you cross over to the states and have your stuff declared before hand.... Basically they take account of anything they might ask about when you return that you don't have recipts for.

The majority of the stuff they don't care about... but the last couple times we went across they tagged my gps, mp3 play and a couple other thing... total time was 15 minutes...buu when you return and the customs officer asks what you declare and you promptly show him the customs sheet... they tend to not bother you and think you have your bees in your bonnet....
if I got my engine built why I was there, they would have no clue that it was done. so that would be good :P

because I was planning on getting a built tranny and install it in the states to avoid shipping and duties
There is no such thing as NAFTA...it's just a big circle-jerk followed by ankle grabbing...
ZTWsquared,Dec 13 2006, 02:21 PM Wrote:Reading the whole thing is your friend.

Canada Border Services Agency Wrote:Repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/ aircraft in the United States, Mexico, Chile, or Israel will be free of duty when it is re-imported into Canada. GST/HST will apply to the value of the repairs or alterations.
[right][snapback]220005[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]220015[/snapback][/right]

Good, I was planning on driving to Isreal on Friday. Maybe I will have a body kit and wheels installed while I am there and drive back on Sunday with them. Oi Vey :lol:
Focus man, Focus.,Dec 13 2006, 11:27 PM Wrote:Good, I was planning on driving to Isreal on Friday.  Maybe I will have a body kit and wheels installed while I am there and drive back on Sunday with them.  Oi Vey  :lol:
[right][snapback]220156[/snapback][/right]

[Image: amphicar2.jpg]
where do you fill up in the middle of the atlantic?.... oil rig?