FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Volkswagen Recalling The Passat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Volkswagen Recalls Passat Vehicles
The Daily Auto Insider
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
December 2006

Volkswagen of America, Inc., announced safety recalls to address two issues in some 2006 and 2007 model year Passat sedans, and in some 2007 model year Passat wagons.

Some of the affected 2006 model year Passat vehicles have a wiper motor that may fail during heavy rain due to excessive moisture entering the wiper motor. If this happens, reduced visibility could result.

Also, some 2.0T engine-equipped 2006 and 2007 Passat sedans and some 2007 Passat wagons may have a power brake vacuum line that may fracture and become disconnected at low ambient temperatures. If this happens, the brake power assist can become inoperative, and the driver will experience increased effort to apply the brake and therefore possible increased vehicle stopping distance.

Approximately 62,000 vehicles in the United States and Canada could be potentially affected.

Owners of affected vehicles will receive a letter from Volkswagen of America, Inc., with instructions to contact their authorized dealer for an inspection and repairs if necessary. Customer notification is expected to begin in January of 2007.

SOURCE: Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Frost__2001,Dec 12 2006, 11:57 AM Wrote:Volkswagen Recalls Passat Vehicles 
The Daily Auto Insider
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
December 2006

Volkswagen of America, Inc., announced safety recalls to address two issues in some 2006 and 2007 model year Passat sedans, and in some 2007 model year Passat wagons.

Some of the affected 2006 model year Passat vehicles have a wiper motor that may fail during heavy rain due to excessive moisture entering the wiper motor. If this happens, reduced visibility could result.

[right][snapback]219797[/snapback][/right]

:blink: Okay VW puts wiper motors in their cars that may fail in heavy rain due to "excessive moisture?"

Which brain dead bean counter authourized this stain on VW's reputation? :lol:

NefCanuck
Probably the same one who worked on the Focus ............ you know with it spotless record of recalls :lol:
dlb,Dec 12 2006, 08:12 PM Wrote:Probably the same one who worked on the Focus ............ you know with it spotless record of recalls  :lol:
[right][snapback]219886[/snapback][/right]

Meh, for all the Focus recalls, at least they've never had one that showed such an utter lack of competance, I mean a wiper motor the croaks when it rains heavily? :blink:

That's just insane IMO...

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Dec 12 2006, 10:46 PM Wrote:
dlb,Dec 12 2006, 08:12 PM Wrote:Probably the same one who worked on the Focus ............ you know with it spotless record of recalls  :lol:

Meh, for all the Focus recalls, at least they've never had one that showed such an utter lack of competance, I mean a wiper motor the croaks when it rains heavily? :blink:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]219901[/snapback][/right]

Agreed. Even when the SPI had an "inadequate" fuel pump, it could still make it to the dealer fine for the recall work. :P
That "long list of recalls" pretty much ended in 2002.

It's nearly 2007. Try to keep up.
NefCanuck,Dec 13 2006, 03:46 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck

Yeah you're right ......... I agree but with all the so-called "Ph'd's" working at Ford and all the resources they have maybe someone could explain why they have more or less "mortaged" the company ?? Perhaps the company has its own "utter lack of competence" B) Just in different areas ?? Something to think about ??
NefCanuck,Dec 12 2006, 11:46 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

Please.

:rolleyes:

don't get me started.
dlb,Dec 13 2006, 08:51 AM Wrote:Yeah you're right ......... I agree but with all the so-called "Ph'd's" working at Ford and all the resources they have maybe someone could explain why they have more or less "mortaged" the company ??  Perhaps the company has its own "utter lack of competence"  B)  Just in different areas ?? Something to think about ??
[right][snapback]219941[/snapback][/right]
Before you regurgitate the "mortgaged the company" line, have you researched what they are doing and why they are doing it?

Something to think about.
you guys rag on ford all the time, but it was only a couple short years ago that volkswagen fell to the bottom of the initial build quality list (32 out of 34 manufacturers).

Who cares about recalls.. how about building a car that doesn't randomly fall apart on you!

I was in my buddy's Jetta the 3rd time the passenger window fell into the door (sorta scary when you just want to lower the window and it falls, never to be seen again into the door).

and was in another friend's passat when, not only would the seat tilter not 'click in', but the seatbelt wouldn't retract.

both cars were only a month or so old, and had been into the dealership more than my focus ever was, including regular service visits..

looks like they're still coming to grips with building their cars in the 21st century.
meh, my family has had much better luck with VW than ford.
Flofocus,Dec 13 2006, 01:27 PM Wrote:meh, my family has had much better luck with VW than ford.
[right][snapback]219991[/snapback][/right]
YMMV
OAC_Sparky,Dec 13 2006, 02:38 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Dec 13 2006, 01:27 PM Wrote:meh, my family has had much better luck with VW than ford.
[right][snapback]219991[/snapback][/right]
YMMV
[right][snapback]219997[/snapback][/right]

QRWTA
Flofocus,Dec 13 2006, 01:48 PM Wrote:QRWTA
[right][snapback]220000[/snapback][/right]
Queers R Way Too Attractive?

Gee Flo, would never have guessed.

:lol:
what does your mileage may vary have to do with this though?
Flofocus,Dec 13 2006, 02:05 PM Wrote:what does your mileage may vary have to do with this though?
[right][snapback]220008[/snapback][/right]

This:
Quote:meh, my family has had much better luck with VW than ford.

My family has had little trouble with our Fords.

I've put an average of 50k a year total between my cars. For the past 22 years of driving. At the moment I have only 2 cars in the driveway. I have 48k on my 1 1/2 year old Focus, it's been to the dealership twice -- for a reflash (at my request, not for a recall), and a trunk latch that wouldn't pop intermittently, needed adjusted.

In my 22 years of driving, owning 12 Fords, I have had to get 2 tows (apart from accidents, none of which I was at fault, and weren't Ford's fault) -- one for a dead alternator on my Taurus (paid for and fixed under warranty), one for when a set of Accel points I put in my car broke on the top of the Ambassador Bridge.

In 30+ years of driving Fords, my dad had a camshaft bearing spin in his Cougar, and a CV joint fail in his Fiesta when it was about 7 years old with 160k.

I've had a coworker that bought a Jetta that is so pissed off at VW at the moment he drives around with a big lemon sticker on the back that says "Money Wanted".

So what does it mean? It means that anecdotal evidence about your family (or my family) doesn't make Ford worse or better than VW. "Your Mileage May Vary" is exactly that. Your experience with Fords and VWs may not be typical. Every manufacturer makes mistakes, Ford included.

Funny how a VW thread gets turned into Focus-bashing thread. Is everyone afraid to admit that Ford isn't the only one that has problems with their cars?

Sheesh
^--- once again, it's a perception thing.

That intial build quality survey had Ford in the top 10 if I recall correctly, while VW sat 2nd from the bottom.

Yet people still believe VWs are better built cars....

Same with mercedes benz.. they'd had a really rough go at build quality the last few years.. yet, once again, the perceptions are the exact opposite.
I could flip that so easily, since my expereince is the COMPLETE opposite, but I'm a firm beleive in this:

All cars are peices of s***.
Flofocus,Dec 13 2006, 02:29 PM Wrote:All cars are peices of s*** once you start modding them excessively.
[right][snapback]220021[/snapback][/right]

That's how I'd phrase that one, although ironically none of the modded items on the old Focus were dying / troublesome when we sold it... just the stock stuff.

I've driven everything in the last 10-12 years. Just because of the experience we had with our last Focus, I didn't hesitate (really) to buy another.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 13 2006, 03:38 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Dec 13 2006, 02:29 PM Wrote:All cars are peices of s*** once you start modding them excessively.
[right][snapback]220021[/snapback][/right]

That's how I'd phrase that one, although ironically none of the modded items on the old Focus were dying / troublesome when we sold it... just the stock stuff.

I've driven everything in the last 10-12 years. Just because of the experience we had with our last Focus, I didn't hesitate (really) to buy another.
[right][snapback]220025[/snapback][/right]

I wouldnt, my focus has seen the ford mechanic less since its been boosted.

jays200zx3 said it best 5 years ago.

Less ford parts on my ford, the better it runs. B) :lol:

EDIT: I still love my focus though. :wub: