FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Beginners Tuner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have just purchases a emaculate black 03 ZX3, seriously wicked condition, virgin focus. Anyway as noob I want my focus to perform before I make it look like it performs. I want to start small and work my way to a SC or turbo. Any tips would be very grateful.
boost as soon as possible, the thing is if you going to turbo route then alot of ur parts that you buy now are going to be useless. so if your going the turbo way then get shorty header, full exhast, cams , cam gears, sct xcal 2 flaser, then all of that can be used in a turbo application. things like short ram air intakes and high flow cats cant be used for turbo. but then again you could go sc route and almost everything will be good, but sc are pricey.
I was thinking about getting a powerworks SC, i mean its roughly $4000 I havn't decided yet however in either case im going to have to save for a forced induction system but in the mean time I want to put in aftermarket parts that will complement the induction system that I choose. So lets just say I want to go supercharged route, what parts should I get to work my way there?
Welcome

There alot of people here that will help you along the way. Good luck boosting that puppy!

Darryl
The Powerworks kit seems to be nice in that it's a complete, COMPLETE package - including a new intake manifold. If you go turbo, you have some extra considerations as the turbo obviously isn't self-contained.

What are you looking to get out of the car?
SmokeBCBuDZ,Dec 12 2006, 02:00 AM Wrote:I was thinking about getting a powerworks SC, i mean its roughly $4000 I havn't decided yet however in either case im going to have to save for a forced induction system but in the mean time I want to put in aftermarket parts that will complement the induction system that I choose. So lets just say I want to go supercharged route, what parts should I get to work my way there?
[right][snapback]219751[/snapback][/right]

full exhaust: 4-2-1 long tube header, flex pipe (pref. 2.5"), catback (also 2.5")

cams and cam gears
if your going with SC, do what niki said, open that exhaust up!!!
NikiterZTS,Dec 12 2006, 10:35 AM Wrote:cams and cam gears
[right][snapback]219768[/snapback][/right]

Waste of money, build the internals and crank the boost up!
^^^ Hardkore is speaking from experience there! i dont think he even saw a "gain" in power when he did his camshafts on his supercharged foci.
If I were you i'd go turbo, it will cost you anywhere from $2000-2500 for an entire build it yourself turbo kit or maybe even cheaper if you know where to look. Kamilk69 did his for just over a thousand I believe. And if you rebuild your internals, a turbo will push more power than a supercharger any day.
But if you still wanna stick with a supercharger, i'd say PowerWorks SC is the way to go. A bonus to that is if you ever want to sell the car without the PowerWorks you can return everything to stock no problem! Decisions descisions! Happy Modding :)
Burnin21,Dec 12 2006, 01:32 PM Wrote:If I were you i'd go turbo, it will cost you anywhere from $2000-2500 for an entire build it yourself turbo kit or maybe even cheaper if you know where to look. [right][snapback]219803[/snapback][/right]

Where are you guys getting this figure from? yeah, kamilk got his done for a little over a grand....but then again, it looks like $1000 kit. No offence....

Tuning alone will cost you 1K, then theres a bigger maf, bigger fuel injectors, properly sized turbo...it adds up to much more than $2500.
then once your done, your clutch will go, you'll eventually get sick of spinning tires and will want a dif...then theres the3 added cost of roasted tires...

I could go on. :P
i say u buy that turbo focus from focusonthis88

he's got a Roush turbo in his...and its only $5000
larger MAf - 100$ , tunning 500$, injectors 250$, turbo 500$, and the rest is pocket change, you can easily make a build for under 1500, especially if you get a junk yard turbo for 80$ then rebuild for 150$,

ill take some recent pics of my kit, it only looks like a 1000$ kit cuz i have no bumpers :P, and even if it does look like a 1000$ kit , it still performs like a more expensive kit.

sure i dont have the high end products like tial, and real greddy, but those parts all work the same,
For a tuning noob, you couldn't go wrong with the powerworks kit.

complete, contained, and will get you over the magical 200WHP mark with minimal amount of fuss. And for $4g, that's a steal.

Building a turbo kit yourself is the easy part, it's making it work and run properly that'll get expensive...both time-wise and monetarily.

I honestly think that if you're going to go for FI, just set aside 5 grand. You can go cheaper, but you'll pay for it with your own time and extra expenditures down the road.

And save up for your FI first.. make it your first mod, and you'll be happier sooner. Sure exhausts and intakes are all nice to have, but that's a grand right there you could apply towards FI ownership. Not to mention all the fartcan ricers you'll get to school with your supercharged, but stock pea shooter pipe setup.
kamilk69,Dec 12 2006, 02:22 PM Wrote:larger MAf - 100$ , tunning 500$, injectors 250$, turbo 500$, and the rest is pocket change, you can easily make a build for under 1500, especially if you get a junk yard turbo for 80$ then rebuild for 150$,

ill take some recent pics of my kit, it only looks like a 1000$ kit cuz i have no bumpers    :P, and even if it does look like a 1000$ kit , it still performs like a more expensive kit.

sure i dont have the high end products like tial, and real greddy, but those parts all work the same,
[right][snapback]219813[/snapback][/right]

Tunning is at least $500.... does that include dyno time? if whoever you're going through doesn't get it right the first time, it's gonna start adding up.

Also, from the day the 1st part arrived at the door, how long did it take to get the whole thing installed?

Also, I doubt that all the tubing, welding, air filter, intercooler, etc really only add up to pocket change. You got some of the major parts for your kit, but that still seems only half of the package to me.
kamilk69,Dec 12 2006, 02:22 PM Wrote:larger MAf - 100$ , tunning 500$, injectors 250$, turbo 500$, and the rest is pocket change, you can easily make a build for under 1500, especially if you get a junk yard turbo for 80$ then rebuild for 150$,

ill take some recent pics of my kit, it only looks like a 1000$ kit cuz i have no bumpers    :P, and even if it does look like a 1000$ kit , it still performs like a more expensive kit.

[right][snapback]219813[/snapback][/right]

tuning $500? lol

couplers are expensive, and no Im not talking about the home depot rubber ones. then intercooler piping, a intercooler...

Prom MAF = $400
Bosh 42lb Fuel injectors = $300
Piping = $400
Log style header = $400-500
Turbo = $300
Computer chip from Tom = $500
Dyno tuning = $500
Intercooler = $500
couplers = $300
SS oil lines = $160
Catch can, clutch, dif, guages, plugs, etc....

It costs a lot of money to do it PROPERLY. And if you think your done spedning money on your home built kit, your kidding yourself. :lol:
I agree with darkpuppet. I mean he pretty much nailed down what I was thinking about doing first. But I was just wondering what should I upgrade first so that I won't have to remove any of the SC assembly.
SmokeBCBuDZ,Dec 12 2006, 03:09 PM Wrote:I agree with darkpuppet. I mean he pretty much nailed down what I was thinking about doing first. But I was just wondering what should I upgrade first so that I won't have to remove any of the SC assembly.
[right][snapback]219824[/snapback][/right]

There isn't much you can't do after the supercharger is installed.

I mean, maybe a UDP, but with a supercharger, you won't want/need that...

which leaves you with perhaps internal upgrades (pistons, cams, etc), but really, a good cam for supercharging is not a good fit for naturally aspirated... so skip the cams until you have a SC in.

Everything else, short of building your block can be done after the powerworks kit is installed.

So the bad news is that you don't get any instant gratification.

The good news is that you can start saving now.

Of course, if you throw on an exhaust before-hand, you could tell powerworks that to have them take it into account when flashing your car's computer... food for thought.

And then there's a wack of other mutuall exclusive mods you could do, starting with tires, working to brakes, then suspension.

Then you can do the 'look good stuff'...
yea man if i could start again i would of sell my sedan, then ofcourse buy a zx3...wouldn't do anything...save something maybe over 5k for PW and full exhaust.....thats when ur gonna have real fun

i say u save up
So throwing in a better exhaust system including header after SC install, I would have to re-tune?
Pages: 1 2 3